Another 1st-timer looking for advice/help

kitkat

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Hi,

I would like to try to build my next computer. I have been reading these forums off and on for months now trying to learn, but I still feel like I'm thowing darts trying to pick the components. I really need advice.

I have never overclocked and don't intend to anytime soon. I am not a gamer. I really like to multitask. I use some picture and graphic editing softwares. After I get get new computer, I would like to start some video editing. I have lots of home video tapes that I would like to edit and convert to dvd. Camcorder has firewire, so a firewire on the MOB would be helpful. I also would like to keep the door open for upgrading, adding components, etc. in the future.

I want to keep it around $800.

Since I like to multitask and want to get into video editing. I thought a quad core with 4 GB (2x2GB) of RAM. That is about the extent of thing I am sure of, but here goes:

Everything is from Newegg and prices include shipping and rebates:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - $189.99
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - $99.99
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW - $73.98 (the shippings a killer)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HD - $74.99
Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-216DBK - OEM - $38.24
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX - $89.99
Foxconn P45A-S LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - 109.99
CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - $75
GIGABYTE GV-N95TD3-512H GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 - $68.24
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit PDC24G6400LLK - $69.98

That adds to around $813. Will everything work together? Can you suggest any improvements? Is there anywhere I can save some cash? Any opinions on the Foxconn MOB? I was also looking at the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R for about $10 more.

Thanks for your time.

Okay here I go:
- Stick with q6600, very good price/performance, especially when working on encoding/CAD stuff!
- Mobo - $109 shipped!! Same price as yours, just no rebate. You can decide the Foxconn you selected has a few more options, but it all comes down to what you think works best for you. Has Firewire and plenty of SATA connections, RAID!
ASUS P5QL-E LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
- Case - $80 shipped!! One of the best cases you can get for the $. It even has a Firewire port on the front!!
Cooler Master 690 without Power Supply - RC-690-KKN1-GP
Newegg's link for the CM 690 case. Has more details :)
- PSU - $93 - $20 MIR = $73!!! Same PSU you selected, but cheaper!
Corsair TX 650W ATX12V Power Supply
- Memory - $80 - $35 MIR = $45!!
OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail (The Official Memory of the Championship Gaming Series) - Retail
- HD - $85 shipped!! One of the faster and bigger HD's out there!!
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
- GPU - $100 - $50 MIR = $50!!! Twice the GPU of the 9500gt!
EVGA 384-P3-N966-TR GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
- DVD Burner - $30 shipped!! Retail version, so you get the necessary software to read/burn DVD's!!
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail

Total $762 - $105 MIR's = $557!!!
add 64 bit OS - $99 shipped and your new total is $657!!!
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM

Upgrade GPU or add in monitor (if needed) and you'll be close to $800!!
19" LCD - $150 shipped!!!
Hanns·G JW-197DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

lunyone, I think your math is a little off. $762 - $105 = $657, not $557 :)

Anyway, +1 for the Western Digital 640GB HD. You can't beat it's speed or value.

I, personally, would go with the GA-EP45-DS3R over the Foxconn. It actually comes to $107 AR!

Good advice so far. I'd prefer the GA-EP45-DS3R too.

If possible get two of the WD 640GB disks, and try to arrange your work with source video on one disk and target on another.

I wouldn't buy a 19" monitor these days. You can get a 22" for around $220, and it's a lot more pleasant to work with.

Also look at the HD 4670 video card if you want. It's overkill if you don't play any games at all, but good if you do play from time to time.

lca806

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
+1 on the 22" monitor and +1 on the 4670

You are definitely going to want firewire ports in the front of the case. It is nice to get them on the motherboard, but it is much easier to work with the front panel. Plus firewire cards can be bought on the cheap or come packaged with many boards.

I just put a similar system together (q6600, P5Q Pro Mobo, 4 g ram, 8800gt,) Newegg has the shellshocker deals every other day at least and I got a few steals on there. Keep your eyes open especially with free shipping deals... for example... antec is having a sale on their cases and PSU with free shipping (shipping cases is pretty expensive)

http://promotions.newegg.com/Antec/091708/index.html?cm_sp=HomepageLB-_-antec091708-_-http%3a%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.com%2fAntec%2f091708%2f620x130.jpg

There is also a mobo and cpu discount with XFX MB's right now. I wouldn't recommend them for your needs, but these things pop up and you have to keep your eye out for them. also, Tigerdirect (although in my opinion inferior to the egg) has some deals on monitors and will beat newegg in this area.

Good luck with your first system!

kitkat

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Thank you for all the suggestions. You are giving me a lot to think about.

I'll switch to the WD hard drive (and I will add a second drive, probably in a few months, but right it is not in the budget.) Thanks for letting me know about using two drives for the video editing. I am assuming that helps with performance. The OCZ memory looks good too.

I really like the Cool Master 690 case but the position of the usb, firewire etc. on the top of the case would make the make them physically inaccessible for me. I need them on the front of the case. I did look at the 690 originally but settled on the Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW because it has a front panel and it also has the firewire port. It is however missing the eSATA port of the 690.

I am going to review the MOB and GPU tonight based on all your suggestions.

I do have some more questions though. If I change to either the Asus or the GIGABYTE MOBs, do I need to or should I pick a different memory? I find the memory issues to be very confusing. It's not just about which type, speed etc. of memory, but which manufacturer. Then even more confusing is which series by that manufacturer. :pt1cable: The OCZ is a good example, Newegg has 3 other series by OCZ within $6 of the one suggested. How do you know which to choose?

I thought that by picking a MOB with onboard EEE 1394a and a case with EEE 1394a on the front panel I could avoid a firewire card. Is that correct? I was trying to avoid a card to keep the expansion slots open for things that I might want to add down the line. I keep my computers for a long time so the slots tend fill up with new technology, etc. before I get rid of the machine. Of course, one of the reasons I wanted to try to build this was to make it easier to upgrade so maybe that won't be an issue. Anyway does having the firewire on the MOB and front panel of the case mean I don't need a card? And is this something that should really be steering my choice of MOB and case?

I have a 19'' LCD monitor already that works for me so I don't need to upgrade that right now, but maybe that second HD won't have to wait if if things work out.

Thanks!

If your MB has FireWire you don't need a card.

However, I have no idea how you'll connect the FireWire port on the MB to the front panel of the case. If you don't connect them, then the FireWire port on the case is pure decoration, of course.

You could just buy a long cable like this and use it between MB and camcorder. Leave the MB end connected so you don't have to crawl under the desk every time. That's what I do with the USB cable for recharging the MP3 player. :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186004

mexpedip

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
to make the memory question easy - stick to any corsair, OCZ, Mushkin, Patriot DDR2800 @ 1.8v. Look for the lowest timings in your price range. If you are using newegg they have some pretty in depth reviews. True DDR2800 mem runs at 1.8v. If the voltage is higher it is oc'd to get to the DDR2800. Here is the link to the DDR2800 2x2gb 1.8v RAM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%201052416064%201052315794%201259916288&name=1.8V

that is correct. you do not need a seperate card.

Another thought on the RAM that you may or may not know is that the lower the timings the better. 4-4-4-12 timings are faster than 5-5-5-15, etc... Refer to the list linked above and pick the RAM with the lowest timings that fits into your budget. I would recommend this Mushkin RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146731

It has tight timings (5-4-4-12) at the standard 1.8v. Not a bad price either! I wouldn't worry to much about the manufacturer.

Yes I was!! Thanks for pointing that out. I know it looked like too good of a deal, but it was late and I didn't notice it.

punch_card_comp

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I have never overclocked and don't intend to anytime soon. I am not a gamer. I really like to multitask. I use some picture and graphic editing softwares. After I get get new computer, I would like to start some video editing. I have lots of home video tapes that I would like to edit and convert to dvd. Camcorder has firewire, so a firewire on the MOB would be helpful. I also would like to keep the door open for upgrading, adding components, etc. in the future.

This sound familiar.
I too do graphics, but leave the video editing at the office.

Was looking at the ASUS P5K EPU
Is there any reason this is no longer a stable MB ?

So far the SOLID CHOICE: from the Forum Chatter
seems to be this Combo.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz quad-core
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775

For a moderate gamer, who likes graphic
editing, any suggestions on a good stable
VIDEO CARD, MEMORY, and Matching Power Supply.
No worries, I already have an ATX box laying around.

All other suggestions.. Willing to read.

punch_card_comp

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Lots of Motherboards to choose for the
Q6600.

Someone suggested the ASUS P5K EPU a while back.
but could someone explain which one is a stable
board, that will last me a while.
My last board was ASUS so I have nothing
against it.
Stability, Reliablity, and Good Price.
Thanks.

ASUS P5K EPU
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L
GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 LGA 775
GA-EX38-DS4 X38
Foxconn P45A-S LGA 775 Intel P45
ASUS P5QL-E LGA 775 Intel P43
GA-EP45-DS3R

First of all eliminate the GA-MA78GM-S2H from the list. It requires an AMD processor, and won't work with the Q6600.

Then eliminate the GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 and GA-EX38-DS4 X38 because they are expensive and designed for gamers (two graphics cards, full speed Crossfire, etc.). They are excellent boards and would work very nicely for you, but why pay $100 more than you need.

I'd also eliminate the ASUS P5K EPU because it's based on an older chipset (P35). Again, it would work nicely for you, but all things being equal I'd prefer something newer.

I'm going to eliminate FoxConn too just because I trust Asus and Gigabyte more.

Eliminate the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L because it doesn't have FireWire.

Add the Asus P5Q Pro to the list now.

You're left with:
ASUS P5QL-E: 3 PCI slots, 6 SATA ports, 2 monitors max, $107+0
ASUS P5Q Pro, 2 PCI slots, 8 SATA ports, 4 monitors max, $120+0
GA-EP45-DS3R, 2 PCI slots, 6 SATA ports, 4 monitors max, $107+9

If you think you'll ever want 3 or 4 monitors, eliminate the P5QL-E because it has a single PCI-E x16 slot and a single video card only has two monitor outputs, normally.
If not, the P5QL-E may be the best choice, since it's cheaper and has one extra PCI slot.