ArctiClean Lint-Free cloth help!

j4mi3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hi guys. Ive just purchased some arcticlean for the first time. im using it because im replacing the stock hsf which came with my phenom 965 with my new special xmas edition titan fenrir :D:D

anyway, it says a lint free cloth is required, and as my knowledge goes this just mean a cloth with particles which dont come off right? which makes sense as these get into the cpu grooves and intefere with heat flow.

anyway, is there anything i might have around the house which i could use for this? I really have no clue. Give me some tips people please, its coming tomorrow!!!

thanks guys

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
A perfect lint free cloth is a coffee filter. Usually what they mean by lint free cloth is something like a microfiber cloth for cleaning glasses. But a coffee filter works perfectly.

^5 +1 what ouch1 said.

I use a plain white coffee filter too. Works good. When you are done cleaning check the surface very carefully for any residue or minute particles left behind. I usually hold it up close to a lamp and look at an angle.

j4mi3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
ok but if i didnt have one, an ordinary glasses-cleaning cloth would do the job fine? even if its allready been used to clean my dads glasses lol? I mean im just worried i will short somehting out, should i be worried about static from it etc?

Don't worry about anything, I have seen a few use Artic Clean with toilet paper/napkins. I use coffee filters as well ;) . Just make sure you clean the surface while supporting the CPU without touching the pins and you will be fine...

j4mi3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
oh sorry ovrclkr i asked this question in our other titan fenrir thread XD my bad mate.

yeah seems like coffee filters is the in-thing... i dont have any though :/ so does it matter if the cloth is abit dusty? I would have thought this would have mattered :s

also what do u mean by "make sure you clean the surface while supporting the CPU"

cheers

No worries ;) ... Go ahead and use that cloth you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you are supporting the CPU by the sides without touching the pins and you will be fine ;)

j4mi3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
ok. would it be ok to leave the cpu in the motherboard whilst im doing it in which case? becuase if i took it out and put it on something the pins could get bent?

sorry for all the questions im just worried XD

Yea you can leave it on the mobo, just be carefull to not get any paste on the board when it is time to re-paste the CPU. Normally I take the CPU out of the socket, hold one side with my thumb and the other with my index and gently wipe off the old paste. Then I put the CPU back in the socket and re-paste the cooler itself and not the actual CPU. But you can do it either way as long as you take your time and make sure that you do not get any paste on the board.

j4mi3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
damnnn i am slow today!! just realized theyre in your sig..sorry bro and thanks for your help with the thermal pasta

Np, let me know how it goes.... Remember, patience is the Key ;)