Freshly installed heatsink, may not be installed tight enough

publicenemy219

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Hello, I just recently installed a Freezer pro 7 heatsink from newegg a couple days ago and installed it just yesterday. The process itself just by installing it on the motherboard took well over 2 hours, getting those pushpins in is a real pain in the ass. But now I am wondering if it was installed tight enough to the MOBO and how I can check to make sure. Prior to testing everything out , I checked the back of the mobo to make sure the pins were spreadout on the otherside of the board meaning they are fastened. But im not really noticing a temperature decrease in the CPU and maybe it has slightly gone up. Right now it idles around 35C and when I fully stressed it out for about 30 minutes or so i got to around 55C. From the numerous amounts of customer reviews this heatsink is suppose to be very high quality and should have idle temps of around20C on a intel core 2 quad processor. I just want to know how I can figure out if this heatsink is installed correctly.

20C is only 68 fahrenheit. In order to idle at that temp, the ambient temp would have to be below 68 fahrenheit in your case. Since this is not likely the case, you will never hit that kind of idle temperature. 35C idle is fine, as is 55C load.

Step 5 is kind of 'sketchy'. LOL. Line up the four legs to the MB mounting holes and push the pins into place in a diagonal fashion. Ater pushing the pin through the mounting hole just turn each mounting screw clockwise bout a half turn. So, you just push the 4 pins into the MB with a diagonal method. Have you tried opening the case and gently pushing downward on the unit (pressing it down onto the CP) while monitoring the temp. If the temp goes down, the heatsink is not seated fully against the CPU housing. That is not good.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/downloads/installation/install_freezer7_pro.pdf

Yeah if one of those push pins is not seated properly your temps will run out of control high. The heat sink has to be snug against the top of the CPU or you will have heat trouble. Those push pins can be a headache. A heatsink with a backplate mounting system is much better.

publicenemy219

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
yeah its just wierd, it used to idle around 30 or even in the 20s with the stock cooler. And my room isn't exactly warm lol. Just a little paranoid.

Also the other cores are idleing 43C which I think is a little high considering it was never that high with the stock.

nussrods

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
Did you install the new heatsink with fresh thermal paste? I am not familiar with the Freezer Pro 7, does it come with thermal paste instaled? You might just check.

It should have thermal paste on it IIRC, though I've never used it. The only times I've used the Freezer 7 Pro (for a couple of friends' builds), we wiped off the stock stuff and added some Arctic Silver.

publicenemy219

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I just OCed my intel 2 quad core on an asus P5N-MX ( which has very little overclocking abilities) and got it from 2.4 GHz to 2.9GHZ and ran a stress test with prime95 and so far I have two errors

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4921875, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

I have no idea what this means. If this thing didn't have a warranty on it, I'd swap out the MOBO with my custom computers MOBO lol. I'm going to run it with factory defaults to make sure theres nothing wrong.