Case mods and psu questions

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Ok, I have a few extra cases and psu's and I want to start case modding :D

I want to take my PSU out of the case it is in now, because it is the biggest source of heat in my computer... and it is RIGHT beside my GPUs!

I want to take it out of the case, and create a box which my case sits on that contains my PSU, and eventually will contain liquid cooling stuff. (not getting it yet, but want to have the room for it when I do)

So the questions I have for this project are.

Is there any way to extend the length of the cords?

most cords such as PCI-E power cords will fit just fine with the mod, but some such as the CPU power cord (8 pin) barely reaches as it is!

with my sata cord, I could put my blue ray drive in a lower slot.. that would work...

I got an Antec 300 case.

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=15300

The PSU is located at the bottom of the case. At first I loved this because it took it away from being near the CPU, but now it is RIGHT under my GPU's.

Any suggestions?

I want to place an in take fan where the PSU used to be to draw in fresh are into the case. All the fans on the case are pushing air out of the case and none or pulling air in

The answer to your question is yes! You can purchase a variety of power extension cables from many online vendors. The power extension cables are usually 8 inches long.

However, there are a few other things to consider. Please list your components and your temperature readings at idle and under load.

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Thank you for the replies.

My system is :

case :antec 300

PSU: Rocketfish 700 watt

M/B: ASUS M3N-HT

CPU: 9950 BE (soon to be Athlon 64 6000+ due to 9950BE in my motherboard only runs 1 stick of ram.... i dunno wtf with that)

CPU COOLER: Artic Cooling Pro 7

GPU: VGA 9800gt x2 (one is single slot size, other is double decker with extra cooling)

My case comes with 2 large fans at the top and top back of the case, I am adding in 2 fans to the front of the case as well.

Currently I have not yet overclocked or even fully benched my system to get full read outs on how it runs and the temps, due to the problem I am having where my cpu will only work with 1 stick of ram with my motherboard.

I have tried everything and cannot get it to work, so I decided to get an athlon 64 6000+ to put into it. (I spent a week solid trying every BIOS version, different ram, different PSU, different BIOS settings.. nothign frickin works)

Right now the system runs idle at 35 degrees. thats with everything stock.

I plan on doing a lot of modding.. not because it NEEDS it, but because I can :D

Ok! I have a few suggestions you might want to consider.

The Antec 300 case comes with two stock fans at the top/rear of the case. You can mount two additional fans at the bottom/front of the case. This will create the classic bottom/front to top/rear air flow which will help improve cooling. Next, consider removing the dust filter behind the front bezel. The dust filter drastically reduces air flow. Guaranteed to cause an increase in temperatures. If you want to kick it up a notch you could cut out the perforated mesh on the top and rear to create blow holes for better exhaust. That perforated mesh restricts air flow. Use U channel available from case mod vendors to make the holes look good.

The Rocketfish psu is Best Buy's own house brand and I don't know anything about it. I went to the Rocketfish web site and took a look at it. I noticed it has one top mounted fan that is controlled by a thermal sensor. As the temperature rises the fan should speed up automatically. What I couldn't tell is which way the fan blows air. Does the psu fan blow air into the case or does it pull in warm air from the case and blow it out the back of the case? It should be pulling in warm air and blowing it out the back of the psu.

I'm assuming you've got the Artic Cooling Pro 7 that is for AMD cpu's. That would be the one with the 92mm fan mounted on top. It blows air down onto the cpu. The heatsink is only rated up to the AMD Athalon 5000. If you are going to install the 6000+ which is higher wattage consider replacing it with a tower style heatsink/fan that blows air from front to back toward the exhaust fan on the rear panel. This would be more consistent with the bottom/front to top/rear classic air flow. You could also orient the heatsink so that the heatsink fan blows air up toward the top panel exhaust fan.

There is more that you can do. You can lap the cpu and heatsink for better surface contact and use a high quality thermal compound such as IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound. You could also remove the mempipe unit and remove the thermal pads from the northbridge and southbridge heatsinks. Apply IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound to the chipsets and reinstall with #40-4 nylon bolts, nuts, and washers instead of the stock push pins. Just hand tighten enough for good contact. Leave the thermal pad on the mosfett heatsink.

That should give you something to think about.

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
JohnnyLucky thank you very much for your input! I appreciate all the thoguht you have put into this for me :)

Yeah I already took the front dust cover off, added fans there, (ones with nice blue lcd's to look cool)

I added a fan onto the side panel as well

The rocketfish blows hot air OUT from the PSU into the case.

and my GPU's are RIGHT over top of the PSU, so like this thing is throwing all of it's heat RIGHT at my gpu! (theres like 2 inches between my bottom GPU and the PSU)

Artic Cooling Pro 7 I got that, but the fan isnt top mounted, it is side mounted. The fan pushes air through the heat sink towards the back of the case.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

One thing I am thinking about with the case fans at the back is.

They are both pushing air out of the case. Im thinking of reversing one of them (the top one), so one is intake and one is exhaust, so it gets an air current going on, getting pulled into the top of the case, then ciculates then gets pushed out the back of the case.