Sign in with
Your question

Vista BSOD

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2008 6:24:05 PM

I built a new system few months ago and it has been running fine. Untill today my anti virus (Kaspersky) said it was not protected (Needs to restart) so I clicked the restart button and now when my computer starts up I get the BSOD. I have tried system restore and that has not worked (using Safe Mode). When I check for a solution it does not work.

I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help?

More about : vista bsod

September 18, 2008 6:37:52 PM

Welcome to Vista! (just kidding)

Try uninstalling it and see if the problem goes away. Then see if the problem persists if it doesn't then it wasn't the antivirus. If the problem does continue to happen.. then I have to ask are you overclocking any?and running memtest86 would be a good idea. The antivirus update may not be the real culprit just the last thing you happened to do with out problems.
September 18, 2008 6:48:31 PM

The BSOD says System Service Exception. Any idea what that means? I'll uninstall the Anti Virus now.

No not overclocking at all.

UPDATE: Vista won't boot up in Safe Mode now. It justs hangs with a black screen. But I can move the mouse...
Related resources
September 18, 2008 6:51:57 PM

"System Service Exception" is just a long namd for "BSOD", and doesn't actually mean much of anything. There should be a hex code in the error - '0x000000***' that can help.

You can also type 'performance' in the search box - that'll start the performance monitoring tool. You can look in there to see which service had the error. That can also help.
September 18, 2008 6:53:54 PM

Can't get to the log on screen now...

Never had any of these problems with XP :( 
September 18, 2008 7:11:02 PM

I think the hex code starts 0X00000050... Do you need the whole code? There is more code in brackets after it but they are too blurry to read as I had to take a picture of the screen.
September 18, 2008 7:22:20 PM

Ok, what if I installed Vista on another Hard drive would I be able to use the Hard Drive in my computer as a data drive? I don't want to have to reinstall Vista on my main Hard Drive as I would lose too much data.
September 18, 2008 7:54:21 PM

Guess what i have the same ERROR, and guess whatelse i just updated Kaspersky and was asked to restart

64-bit Operating system
Quad-Laptop
SAME EXACT ERROR THIS OTHER GUY HAS!
September 18, 2008 7:56:32 PM

I have exactly the same problem! Kaspersky IS 2009 demanding restart, bsod and black screen with only mouse cursor. Tried repair with vista's dvd and it didn't load any options. only that greenish wallpaper with mouse cursor. Kaspersky is the one to blame!!!

E: also x64
September 18, 2008 8:02:57 PM

Looks like they have messed up this time. What are you guys going to do now then?
September 18, 2008 8:07:13 PM

hey if u want join my private chat system, i am trying to find a solution maybe we can help each other here is the link:
nerdion.com/Chat2
September 18, 2008 8:08:42 PM

My search has proven that this isnt the first time Kaspersky has had a blue screen problem, however i can discount some solution disabling all auto starts wont do any good and you cant uninstall or restore..... SUCKS
September 18, 2008 8:09:50 PM

Does anyone know away to uninstall kaspersky with out running it?!??!? I have XP installed i can access the majority of my files via XP.
September 18, 2008 8:11:41 PM

I'm not sure can't you go to add/remove programs? I can't do that because I'm locked out of my computer..
September 18, 2008 8:15:23 PM

well i can go safe mode (cant uninstall there) and my XP cant uninstall stuff on Vista. (the update didnt effect my XP installation)
September 18, 2008 8:19:05 PM

And, i CAN NOT ENTER MY Windows Vista no matter what i do, i tried uninstalling a bunch of drives (so u dont have 2 do it, its not graphics TI wireless or any other random piece of junk!). But, i have about 1 minute where i can log in and click around (just long enough to get to the control panel or do something or the other).
September 18, 2008 8:19:13 PM

I got the same problem. I restarted after Kaspersky's update, and BAM I get a BSOD. I can still get into safe mode, although I might need to kill explorer.exe a few times to get there. As someone else has already mentioned doing System Restore _does not_ seem to work.

I tried to disable both kaspersky services, and then reboot. I actually got to see my desktop before it BSOD'd again! Gonna try a few extra things now (like removing the kaspersky executable from the start up).

Scared to uninstall it till I can actually see my desktop stable!
September 18, 2008 8:23:03 PM

fusionx welcome to the newest gayest vista 64 bit error, unless ur 32 bit?
September 18, 2008 8:23:52 PM

Well I could get to my desktop for about 20-30 seconds but now I can't I just get a black screen with the mouse.
September 18, 2008 8:25:21 PM

You know since we are the first people to have this problem, we should like sue, like seriously. THIS IS GOING TO %%^%^% me, i need to work on my computer. I just wanted to install a quick update

September 18, 2008 8:28:37 PM

Hey i am considering moving the registry enteries and seeing if kaspersky will stop running. Should i try this or not?
September 18, 2008 8:28:59 PM

Yeah I know I had a good few days of work and wanted to play warhammer online now its just come out. I was even about to go out and buy a new monitor and headset for it just before it happened. I have also found another forum with another user having the same issue.
September 18, 2008 8:32:20 PM

Halcy0n, thank you! I'm on x64, and seriously debating reverting back to XP (again).

Right, I'm actually posting this from my vista BSOD machine.

For people that can get into safemode (and for those that kinda can but the desktop freezes, reload explorer.exe), disable the 2 kaspersky services and remove the kaspersky executable from startup. That got me back BSOD free, but of course doesn't solve the whole kaspersky issue. Hope this helps.

I'm seeing some people posting stuff on the kaspersky forums now, so lets for a quick solution.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a kaspersky fanboy and put up with the problems it sometimes gives, but this is a bit silly now!
September 18, 2008 8:33:17 PM

dude give me a link, i dont want to find myself alone with this problem.... i am going to explode, and ill be even angrier when i have to do all my work over the WEEKEND!
September 18, 2008 8:35:04 PM

Man, i was in love with kaspersky until now, i went from norton to this, NORTON PISSED ME OFF. Anyway, until this rather HUGE problem, i was like wow this software is sooo good. Now i am like WHY WHY DID I CHANGE TO KASPERSKY, WHY WHY WHY WHY
September 18, 2008 8:37:18 PM

I've been having problems where it would just eat my memory till my computer would crash when doing a full scan so I've not been 100% happy with it since I got it.
September 18, 2008 8:39:52 PM

Dark Comet said:
I've been having problems where it would just eat my memory till my computer would crash when doing a full scan so I've not been 100% happy with it since I got it.

Hmm, what's the spec of your computer?
September 18, 2008 8:41:29 PM

Q9450
4GB DDR2 RAM
Asus Maximus Formula
8800GTS
Hitachi 160GB Hard Disk Drive
Windows Vista 64bit
September 18, 2008 8:45:37 PM

Weird that it would eat your ram. I have a similar setup bar the mobo, and the only thing I can say is that you're on a 64bit OS. So more memory is used in general anyway. But if it's excessive then I really don't know what to say, try the kaspersky support forums.

I'm willing to bet that the memory being used is still substantially smaller than something like Norton or McAfee.
September 18, 2008 8:48:05 PM

They've fixed the issue now. If you've managed to sort out the BSOD issue, update your Kaspersky now and restart.
September 18, 2008 8:50:21 PM

I AM FIXED
September 18, 2008 8:52:27 PM

I can't get into windows...
September 18, 2008 8:53:14 PM

I have the same problem with my machine and windows keeps saying its Kaspersky (if you've been on the KIS forums you know that there's a bit more to this).

The only solution I came up with (which is very temporary cause I don't want to stay with this) is to go back to 2 gigs of RAM and no more BSOD.

Now I'm so hesitant to get rid of KIS but coming up with no other solution so not trying to hijack or anything but what's a good second that you guys think to replace my Kaspersky Internet Security. Need a good AV and firwall.
September 18, 2008 8:55:11 PM

Really it's fixed! I gave up a while ago and my nice set of Tracer mem is sitting on my desk.

What version you guys using?
September 18, 2008 8:57:01 PM

KIS v8 (2009)
September 18, 2008 9:01:46 PM

I'm using KIS 2009 too but I can't get into windows at all. Anyone have any ideas how I can get back into windows?
September 18, 2008 9:18:46 PM

bruce555 said:

Now I'm so hesitant to get rid of KIS but coming up with no other solution so not trying to hijack or anything but what's a good second that you guys think to replace my Kaspersky Internet Security. Need a good AV and firwall.

Right now... I wouldn't recommend anything really, maybe Nod32? But honestly I would say get Kaspersky to work properly. I have not had to clean any viruses off a machine with kaspersky yet.
September 18, 2008 9:19:55 PM

Dark Comet said:
I'm using KIS 2009 too but I can't get into windows at all. Anyone have any ideas how I can get back into windows?

Hmm, you can't get into safemode either? And you uninstalled Kaspersky right?
September 18, 2008 9:22:27 PM

How do I uninstall it? The problem is, is the log on screen is not loading up. Same thing with or without safe mode.
September 18, 2008 9:30:12 PM

oh, did u do a restore? i have a guy in my chat with the same problem...
September 18, 2008 9:31:37 PM

Yeah I did a system restore and I also used the Vista CD to try to fix the issue.
September 18, 2008 9:35:13 PM

thats why than, i am afraid u killed the only way i know how to fix the problem. IT SUCKS DOESN IT? Well anyway, i am going to keep searching, ill tell you if i find a way for all the people who used restore...
September 18, 2008 9:42:15 PM

Try to do a repair with the Vista disc. If that fails(or failed) then unfortunately you've probably killed your system and there's no easy way out except for a reinstall :( 
September 18, 2008 9:47:04 PM

The repair says there is nothing wrong...:( 
September 18, 2008 10:39:39 PM

fusionx said:
Right now... I wouldn't recommend anything really, maybe Nod32? But honestly I would say get Kaspersky to work properly. I have not had to clean any viruses off a machine with kaspersky yet.

I know, I've had it for years and there hasn't been a single time I had to reformat because of a virus. Always recommend it to everybody.
September 19, 2008 10:29:36 AM

For Dark Comet or anyone else not able to get into safe mode because they did a system restore.

I used the Vista installation disc to system restore again to a further day back, loaded up and BSOD again but after that was able to get back into safe mode and apply the fix from the Kaspersky forums.

Hope that helps, btw I was the other person chatting to Halcy0n last night (and thanks to him for his help).

gl!
September 19, 2008 1:25:38 PM

I used the disk to go back to the day I restored from and my computer loaded up and I did not even have to go into safe mode to update. I did go back into Halcy0ns chat room to tell him but he had gone offline. Cheers for everyones help with this. Thanks for Halcy0n for the time he spend with me trying everything possible to fix it.
!