Internet download speed all of a sudden SLOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
All of a sudden my internet download has dropped A LOT. A few weeks ago is was about 300kbps (kbytes, not kbits) and for the last week it has dropped to about 20 kbps.. I have done lots of things to try and fix this, but nothing has worked.. ive restarted my PC a dozen times, and i've scanned my computer with AVG about 3 times, ad-aware about 3 times, spy bot search and destroy about 3 times, and malaware bytes anti-malware about 3 times, with some little things here and there, but i removed them and then restarted PC, and still 20kbps.. I also tried to use Internet Explorer to see if it was Mozilla that was the problem, but still 20kbps.. and i tried downloading something on my sisters computer (right beside mine, and on the same network and everything.) and she gets 300 kbps. so im guessing its most likely a virus thats on my computer, or maybe some settings that are messed up in my options.

-Thanks!

P.S- im not sure if i posted this in the right catergory. :S

seifer_23

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Bro i have the same problem.My DL speed was 3.2mb but now is 0.700kb.I check for viruses with almost all programs,check all network and internet options and nothing.MY ISP said there is no problem from theire side.PLS if found the problem send me a mail seifoto@abv.bg I will be greatful.

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Is this a wireless or cable setup? You could try using a new cable to see if the one you're using has problems. If it's wireless I would see if someone is leeching off your connection. Note if there's more than 1 person on a 300kps connection there's no chance you're both going to have that kind of speed with a shared connection, especially if you're using a hub, although I do agree a drop down to 20kps is unusual, it wouldn't be if one person is hogging the bandwidth of your connection.

Arigo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
well, im pretty sure nobody is on my network, because we have a password for my router, and like i said before, my the other person on my network (sister) downloads at 300 kbps, and after shes done downloading, i tried and i only get 20 kbps.. but yes, we both would split the connection but, im talking about DL speed, so if we both dled at the same time she would get 150kbps, and i would get 150kbps. but something has happened and no matter where i download, i only get 20 kbps. thanks, help is appreciated.

dulcismelos

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
i have been having the same problem with my cable internet connection lately; on our home network my computer is wired directly to the modem/router with 10/100 ethernet, and my step dad's computer only has a little wireless usb adapter plugged into it, and his computer consistently gets about 400 kbps and up with his wireless, while my computer starts at about 250 kbps and gets progressively slower, down to about 20-50 kbps, even though it should be faster since it is hardwired to the modem/router!

mine used to get the same speeds but then one day it just got painfully slow- i've run virus and spyware scans over and over to find nothing; comodo, avast, windows one care, windows defender, mcafee, f-secure, blacklight all come up clean.

the only thing that seemed to help was to "update" my network card driver (under control panel > hardware and sound > device manager > network adapter): this was very strange because when i checked the driver version under properties it told me it had a driver version from 2008, and then when i told it to 'check for updates' it "updated" me to a version that says 2007.
after that it made me restart my computer, and so far my speeds have been back up in the 300 kbps, hopefully they stay that way, so maybe you could try to "update" or "roll back" your network adapter drivers to see if that helps at all like it seemed to do with mine, hope this helps and goodluck ppl!!!

G

i recently got the same problem only today my download speed was around 400kbs and droped down to 2-6kbs and im not over internet cap, i tried updating drivers like dulcismelos suggested, didnt work :cry: and yeh any other ideas?

G

i have the same problem too! i dloaded at 2mb/s, then 1mb/s, and it slowly gradually got slower and slower. i just checked me dload speed by re-downloading portal. i run around 1kb/s. :cry: :fou:

Reactions: RedmanPvPz

blarg8

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
when my computer is off for a long time and i turn it on the internet is really fast but when i leave it there for a little bit is gets slow all of a sudden and i have to turn it off and wait until the morning to turn it on

conmoun

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I am curious. To all those who are having problems. How old is the wiring in your house/apartment/ or workplace(where ever you are having problems)? And who is you Internet Service Provider?

G

Have you tried restarting your modem and router? If your router or modem overheats, it is terribly slow. Take out the plug and what I do is put the modem and router in the freezer for about 2-5 minutes.

G

I had the same problem. From a consistantly fast speed, about 8MBps, my internet dropped to 0.1MBps. I have a splitter to allow the internet line to go to Bedroom and living room. As I now have wireless only one of these now gets used. I discovered that the disused (but still "live") one was lying with other electrical equiptment that had just been installed, and notable a power adapter. I moved this wire away from this interferance and it instantly fixed my problem. I can't say for certain this was causing it but it seems logical. But I have no training in this stuff. Maybe check to see if any thing could be causing any electrical/magnetic field that could be screwing with your wiring.

Shammi B Sharma

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

change your network security inscription and try

craigvib

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011

Hi you can increase your internet sped by doing some specific things like deactivating the unnecessary software upgrade, using a fast browser, and installing good antivirus .... by doing these, you can increase the internet speed. and then you can check the internet speed at Ip-details , so that you can know the improved internet speed..

Zmple24

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
guys i have one problem that's pissed me off my internet speed is 10mb/s and my downloading speed is 9mb/s and it's going down from 8.9mb/s to 0kb/s how can i fix it can someone help me please :(

Jerome_83

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I also got the same problem here but dramatically slower. I used to get 1Mbps on my connection now it's down to 2-12Kbps! and my download speed is also a problem, at first it will DL at about 10kbps then all of a sudden, 10bps! WAAA! pls i need some help.. TT
I got only broadband connection that used to be fast bur here it becomes. I already tried to run Avast and Malwarebytes but found nothing.
I can't afford to reformat my PC. pls help TT

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
use ccleaner to clear cookies and temp files.

disable adapter for 15 seconds, with wire unplugged. enable and plug in cable. "repair" connection to clear out cache's.

test again.

Are you able to review router logs? Or firewall logs?

Do you have a packet sniffer? some anti-v suites come with this.

Are any devices useing the same ip?

Status
Not open for further replies.