Appropriate RAM for modern MOB's

ishi7777

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I have currently purchased a E8600 Core 2 Duo, ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe with FSB 1600 MOB (which says its capable of using up to Dual DDR3 1600 RAM) and I unintentionally bought Kingston 2x2GB 2000MHZ PC16000 DDR3 Ram sticks. My impression is that the RAM will just work at the lower frequency....but....if i overclock the FSB or CPU, will this bring these up to the RAM frequency independantly with this modern MOB or will the overclocking automatically affect the RAM as well? Many thanks in advance.

My impression is that the RAM will just work at the lower frequency....but....if i overclock the FSB or CPU, will this bring these up to the RAM frequency independantly with this modern MOB or will the overclocking automatically affect the RAM as well? Many thanks in advance.
Add a reply Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages
Unless you lock the RAM at a specific speed (FSB: RAM ratio), the RAM will automatically get overclocked.

Btw, when did you buy this? If you bought this like a few weeks ago, you do realize that LGA775 is dead right?

ishi7777

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Many thanks for that. They want to charge Aus$400 for an i7. I originally got the E8600 for $260 but of course all my other gear turned up and the supplier said EOL. So after getting another supplier I paid through the nose. I may as well did the i7. Not impressed. I didn't have enough knowledge about RAM for overclocking. I felt the RAM I have is like I was driving a Ferrari down a goat track. Anyway this should give me the flexibility to have a play at overclocking for a while. Any guides to overclocking the above system would be appreciated.

Overclocking Guide :
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide