Your question
Solved

Brand new Thermalright Venomous-X

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 1:57:12 PM

Just a heads up. :bounce: 

The brand new Thermalright Venomous-X cpu heatsink for Intel socket 775, 1366, and 1156 cpu's that was announced several months ago is now available. It looks like it will be the replacement for the Thermalright Ultra 120 models. I haven't run across any technical reviews yet. Just a lot of press releases. It looks promising.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=Therma...

Does anyone have one?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 2:32:57 PM

You think that cooler will be any better than the Ultra 120?

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 3:00:27 PM

it should be better considering from the ultra evolved the prolimatech naturally this would incorporate an evolution of prolimatech technology
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 3:09:27 PM

OvrClkr - I still use my original Thermalright Ultra 120. That was the first tower style heatsink. Despite all the variations offered by other companies the original 120 can still hold it's own. It definitely works for me. I am going to order the Venomous-X for my new Intel Core i7 860 system just to see what it's like.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 3:21:11 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
OvrClkr - I still use my original Thermalright Ultra 120. That was the first tower style heatsink. Despite all the variations offered by other companies the original 120 can still hold it's own. It definitely works for me. I am going to order the Venomous-X for my new Intel Core i7 860 system just to see what it's like.

Sweet :)  , do you collect CPU coolers as a hobby?

How is your 212+ holding up?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 8:32:17 PM

No, I don't collect cpu heatsinks.

I got a little ahead of myself when I listed the components in my sig. UPS delivered the parts yesterday evening. I was going to recycle a CM Hyper 212 and the HD 4770 from my old AMD system. When I thought about it I realised if I had a new cpu heatsink and a new video card, I could use the old system as an emergency backup. That sounded good to me so I started looking for a new heatsink and accidently stumbled into the new Thermalright Venomous-X.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 8:46:58 PM

Ahh gotcha =)

Well it would be nice to se some temps with that new Venomous-X. That thang looks HUGE...

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 9:55:42 PM

I'm going to order one and thermal compound. researching the compound right now. I'll wanted to give Indigo Extreme a try but all the advertising is for Core i7 LGA 1366. No indications that it is available for Core i7 LGA 1156.

I just called the company. They are working on a version of Indigo Extreme for the LGA1156 socket. Sould be available in a few weeks. In the meantime I guess I'll go with IC Diamond 7 Carat. I still have half a tube left. It has worked well for me in the past.
December 22, 2009 9:56:44 PM

That CPU cooler looks amazing. Lots of pipe too. I'm a little surprised they didn't go with the heat pipe direct touch idea though.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 10:00:48 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
I'm going to order one and thermal compound. researching the compound right now. I'll wanted to give Indigo Extreme a try but all the advertising is for Core i7 LGA 1366. No indications that it is available for Core i7 LGA 1156.

I just called the company. They are working on a version of Indigo Extreme for the LGA1156 socket. Sould be available in a few weeks. In the meantime I guess I'll go with IC Diamond 7 Carat. I still have half a tube left. It has worked well for me in the past.

What does the paste have to do with the socket?

Anyways I am using this :

GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My 550 at 4Ghz never goes past 36c (25c ambient) torture tested 4Hr large FTT's..

My B50 at 4.2Ghz never goes past 44c (25c ambient) torture tested 4Hr large FTT's...

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 10:03:47 PM

My original Thermalright Ultra 120 does not have heatpipe direct touch. Neither does my original Coolermaster Hyper 212. They also don't have as many heatpipes. Even without the "modern" features they still perform very well.
December 22, 2009 10:07:20 PM

By no means am I knocking the 212 or the Ultra120, they are fantastic heat sinks, I'm just surprised that the brand new ones they are rolling out at $60+ wouldn't have the new modern features. I'm sure they will still be performers.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 10:12:18 PM

OvrClkr - Indigo Extreme is not a paste. Instead it is a sealed, self contained unit that contains a phase change metal alloy. Rather than me trying to explain it, here's a link to the manufacturer's web site so you can see for yourself:

http://indigo-xtreme.com/

Here is a link to a technical review:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23...

One of the other veterans gave it a try a few months ago and swore by it so I thought I would try it and see what happens.
December 22, 2009 10:16:40 PM

That is impressive.

Didn't someone around here try the diamond dust thing too not that far back? I wonder how that turned out.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 10:42:06 PM

that review is ok i guess but is it worth the 4-5c over as5?, and only 2 applications for $20 better hope you dont screw up, i'll stick to my ocz freeze for now, that shin etsu x23 looks interesting tho
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 10:48:56 PM

Yea the price does not make it's justice. If it was 10-15$ with free shipping then it would make more sense. 19.99$ + 8.09$ = 28.00 for 2 applications.. meh... I can get several units of AS5 for that price. Would be sweet to try though :??W

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 11:02:19 PM

i can get 10g of ocz freeze for less then $20 by leeching off high ranking friends
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 11:07:43 PM

Kithzaru - I have been using IC Diamond 7 Carat for the past year and a half in my own personal system and other builds. When I initially purchased the compound I just wanted to see what it was like. As it turned out it worked very well for me. On the other hand I would expect results to vary due to differences in configuration. Variations are normal.

obsidian and OvrClkr - You are both correct. The price is high when compared with the price of thermal compounds. Normally my position is that a difference of 3 or 4 degrees celsius is not going to matter for a typical user or a typical gamer. I would also have to agree that it's probably not for someone who frequently upgrades or keeps changing cpu's and heatsinks. This is my first upgrade in 16 months and it is an expensive one. I just want to see what the Indigo Extreme is like. Consider it an experiment.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 11:19:36 PM

Yea, I guess if you do not remove the cooler off of your CPU too often it should not be an issue... But it would be nice to test, I might get me some once my new cooler arrives... All depends on how Santa treats me....
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 11:22:10 PM

how long has indigo been round?
December 22, 2009 11:29:31 PM

Well definitely let us know how it goes.

Anything in particular making you want to stray from the Diamond 7 or just the idea of trying something new?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 11:33:18 PM

Kithzaru said:
Well definitely let us know how it goes.

Anything in particular making you want to stray from the Diamond 7 or just the idea of trying something new?

It is a new experiment he is conducting :o 

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2009 12:23:01 AM

obsidian - That forum link began last August so Indigo Extreme is the new kid on the block.

kuithzaru - Just experimenting. It was the same way when I lapped my ThermalRight Ultra 120 and AMD cpu. I did not need to do it. I just wanted to see if I could do it and what my results would be. It's also the same when I mod cases. I'll try something to improve ventilation, airflow, and cooling just to see what happens. So far I've been pretty lucky.

It's time to shut down and pull the plug. Last night I went to Ikea and bought modular cabinets and a desk top for my new computer work area. I went all out with this upgrade.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2009 12:37:04 AM

last august? seems like there should be a revision soon
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 23, 2009 1:17:51 AM

JonnyLucky, the chip size is the same, it will work with 1366 or the i5 variant, at least thats what I read. The only thing changed was the amount of pins on the chip.
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 23, 2009 4:29:37 AM

No way!

Ack I'm wrong, sorry.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2009 8:39:45 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Done deal! I ordered the brand new Thermalright Venomous-X cpu heatsink which will be replacing the Thermalright Ultra 120 series.

OvrClkr - If you collect cpu heatsinks you might want to scoop up one of the last 100% copper Thermalright Ultra 120's:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8335/cpu-tri-55/Therm...

and don't forget the black edition:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thulbledrec.html

Yea, but the COPPER is 110.00$+ Shipping !!! lol my CPU was cheaper than that :lol: 

Still a sweet cooler, but I would need a new case to fit that beast...
December 23, 2009 8:56:41 PM

mmm 100% copper.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2009 10:57:52 PM

you better post some temps with that or you banned from watching football the rest of the season
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2009 3:53:37 AM

OvrClkr - If memory serves, the all copper 120 was too heavy for a motherboard. A trophy or display case would be more appropriate.
!