Green Blocks on DVD Playback

kutuup

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hi all,

I'm having an occasional issue playing back dvds through media player (havent tried any other players).

Very occasionally (sometimes not at all, sometimes once per 2 hour movie, havent seens it twice in one movie yet) for about 5-10 seconds, the display will become partially covered with garbled green blocks that move around a bit. The movie keeps going and sound is unaffected.

Usually it just goes back to normal after a few seconds, but on one occasion it crashed the computer (I have changed GPU and PSU since then and it hasn't crashed since).

I have checked the temperature of the GPU during playback and it isn't unusually hot (45-50) degrees.

Any ideas on what causes this issue? I'm using the latest drivers for my HD5870 from ATI.

Thanks!

James

kutuup

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

That was my initial thought too, I've just splashed out a bit and replaced the crappy old drive I had (which I discovered upon removal had part of the casing loose and taped back together) with a nice new LG Blu-Ray drive. Just did a little test and all seems well, havent watched a whole movie yet tho so time will tell XD

Would a worn out junky dvd drive exhibit errors such as what I described above? Makes sense to me lol

James