5850 not working with MSI AFTERBURNER

skrrrt

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Every time I set my oc to 800/1150 and click apply it just sets it back to default. I am wondering if Windows7 is hampering it. Any suggestions?

lloydcabraham

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
go to the msi afterburner install folder
open msiafterburner.cfg
at the bottom change "[ATIADLHAL] EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0" to "[ATIADLHAL] EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1"
overclock card beyond 900mhz

wnysupport

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Believe the file is Read Only, so right click > Properties and uncheck Read Only.

Then edit the file.

Note with Afterburner that unless you store your OC as a profile and set it to "Overclock on startup" - you will manually need to do it every time (which is what I do anyway)

Or it could be a UAC thing, but try the read only first

skrrrt

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
The READ ONLY wasn't checked so I don't know what to do. I would really like to overclock it to about 825/1500 but I guess I will have to find another program or something to do it in.

lloydcabraham

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
You have to make sure to close the Afterburner program. You won't be able to change the file if the program is still running. You can also try to change it in safe mode if you're having problems.

Orbital is right, you can do it while its open anyways. Exactly like this (assuming you have W7 and since you have a 5850 i suppose you do) Local Disk > Program Files (x86) > MSI Afterburner > MSIAfterburner.cfg

After that right click on it, Properties > Security > Edit > (Your now in the editing of permissions of that cfg file)

Click on your user, whether you be the admin or the users it'll be listed as

SYSTEM
Administrators (Name\Administrators)
Users (Name\Users)

Click on which ever applies to you, then check the Allow Full Control. Apply then your done.

HOWEVER! Note you must be Admin to do this.

EDIT: After you finished with the permissions stuff, open the cfg with notepad and change the EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0 to EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1

That EnableUnofficialOverclocking is under ATIADLHAL in the MSIAfterburner.cfg

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

;)