Sign in with
Your question

Fanless GPU for Photoshop?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2008 11:24:07 PM

I'm building a new system and am looking for a fanless GPU for Photoshop. I've been looking at specs and really getting myself confused as I may be trying to understand things that are totally irrelevant.

I don't do video editing or games, so I don't need a high end card. I know that the next version of Photoshop will make use of the RAM on video card, but it sounds pretty minimal.

I would assume that I want the Nvidia chipset ad 512 MB RAM. What recommendations do you have? Do and of these look good?

I'm building a new system and am looking for a fanless GPU for Photoshop. I've been looking at specs and really getting myself confused as I may be trying to understand things that are totally irrelevant.

I don't do video editing or games, so I don't need a high end card. I know that the next version of Photoshop will make use of the RAM on video card, but it sounds pretty minimal.

I would assume that I want the Nvidia chipset ad 512 MB RAM. What recommendations do you have? Do and of these look good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

this look interesting, and a good price:

ZOTAC ZT-95TES2P-HSL GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

since it's ddr3, but would these features be useless for what I need? I've also never heard of the company. Do things like core clock speed make a difference for Photoshop?

what should I be looking for? Does the series of Geforce make a difference? If so, what?

Thanks!

Reid

More about : fanless gpu photoshop

October 14, 2008 1:12:28 AM

The FirePro V3700 card uses the same GPU as the Radeon HD 3450 which sells for around $30.00 (or less). The only difference are the drivers, which would have no advantage for Photoshop.

Photoshop is strictly 2D graphics work and would not benefit any more from 9800GTX than a low-end card like GeForce 8400GS. Photoshop relies on CPU, system RAM, and disk performance, the graphics card is just an output circuit for the result. More dedicated graphics RAM won't even play much of a role, since local frame buffer is hardly utilized for 2D graphics work.

Any modern budget card will suffice for Photoshop:

Radeon HD 3450 512MB

GeForce 8400GS 512MB

You should prioritize CPU, RAM, and a fast hard disk before you worry about the graphics card.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2008 1:43:19 AM

The GPGPU support for Photoshop may or may not be included in CS4, so the graphics card will not matter. Just grab a cheap card.
October 14, 2008 1:48:23 AM

jedimasterben said:
The GPGPU support for Photoshop may or may not be included in CS4, so the graphics card will not matter. Just grab a cheap card.

I thought it's been officialy announced that it'd be supported? If so, then it's probably worth it to get a decent GPU.
October 14, 2008 2:11:46 AM

CS4 will support use of GPU RAM, but it looks like not to a grea degree.

I'm be happy with the GeForce 8400GS 512MB, but if there is a good reason to get the ZOTAC ZT-95TES2P-HSL GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

I would.

Just convince me of what I'd be getting

reid
October 14, 2008 3:06:16 AM

the 8400GS is plenty, common I know people who try to game on 6200 Gts for god's sake. 2D is 2D, you'll be fine.
October 14, 2008 4:13:14 AM

dyingcat said:
I thought it's been officialy announced that it'd be supported? If so, then it's probably worth it to get a decent GPU.
A few features did not make it into CS4 Gold but are likely to be introduced in a post-release update. Even so, most of these features are not especially taxing on contemporary GPUs. Given this will be Photoshop's first use of the 3D pipeline, you can bet Adobe implemented these features cautiously to yield acceptable results even on entry-level GPUs meeting the minimum requirements (SM3.0 and OpenGL 2.0). You might see CS5 (or whatever the next major version is named) seriously up the ante with GPU acceleration, but CS4 will only be dabbling here and there with it.
Quote:
I'm be happy with the GeForce 8400GS 512MB, but if there is a good reason to get the ZOTAC ZT-95TES2P-HSL GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16...
If you really want added measure of certainty that GPU-accelerated features in CS4 will not under-perform, then go for the 9500GT. It doesn't cost all that much more and its not as though it could be a worse choice.

I seriously doubt spending more than 9500GT will gain anything more than potential thermal issues. These cards are about as high as you want to go for fanless designs.
!