Your question

Overclocked system

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Overclocking
December 23, 2009 9:50:42 AM

I now have a stable overclock in windows 7 but have many hangs and resets to get there. should I re-install windows to be sure of no corrutions during the testing phase or is my OS fine?

how does one know???

More about : overclocked system

December 23, 2009 10:48:02 AM

No, it should be fine, however it is better to reinstall it but I wouldn't bother if it's not disturbing you.
December 23, 2009 10:53:35 AM

Thanks for the advice,

I forgot to mention that I installed it on a raid 0 set-up so Im assuming this is still ok???

can I leave the system overclocked if I do re-install windows 7 or should I go to defaults and re-overclock again??
December 23, 2009 11:02:48 AM

When overclocking you need to already have the os and everything else installed, running stable, tested and fine, all on STOCK settings. If you started to overclock before you installed your os, then there is a possibility your os and everything else installed may not be stable, especially with you saying your gettings hangs and reboots. So, if this the case you will need to reinstall everything from scratch.

But, if you installed, tested stable on stock settings, then your fine. You shouldnt have any problems with your os, however, sometimes the hangs, reboots and especially if you got BSOD's, may damage or corrupt files. To test, run stress tests for your overclock, like prime 95 for atleast 8 hours. If it passes your oc is fine and so is your os, but you may still have problems in the future. Unfortunately i dont know of any way to be 100% certain that your os wasnt damaged during oc error's, so short answer, reinstall os now, rather then later.

With any overclock, there is always the possibility that your oc may crash the os in the future, but its very rare and its like asking how long your cpu will work, when overclocked compared to stock.
December 23, 2009 11:16:47 AM

Thanks for your help.

I'm using intelburntest V2.3 with max setting and it's stable at 21 runs.

However with all the previous hangs from prior testing in raid 0 setup I think I will re-install windows again with stock setting and rerun the testing to be 100% sure it's clean as well as stable and then I'll install the rest of my stuff once I feel it's ready.

it's nice to get some feedback so quick and I wish a merry Xmas to all
time to put up the Xmas tree

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2009 11:42:42 PM

megaspock said:
Thanks for your help.

I'm using intelburntest V2.3 with max setting and it's stable at 21 runs.

However with all the previous hangs from prior testing in raid 0 setup I think I will re-install windows again with stock setting and rerun the testing to be 100% sure it's clean as well as stable and then I'll install the rest of my stuff once I feel it's ready.

it's nice to get some feedback so quick and I wish a merry Xmas to all
time to put up the Xmas tree

No offense. However, I have to say that the stability test you done is a joke.

Download Prime95 and run the Large FFTs test under the Torture Test menu for at least 12 hours.

Note that you can easily get error after 8 hours of prime 95!

IMO, test you PC for at least 1.5 times the length you use your PC everyday is required.
December 25, 2009 6:07:48 PM

Just as Andy has said, use prime95, monitor temps using Hardware monitor, speedfan, realtemp.
December 26, 2009 10:51:13 AM

Hi Andy after re-installing windows 7 after I assumed my overclock was stable I then took your advice to heart and the testing was successful

Prime95 with Large FFTs
[Dec 26 09:01] Test 2, 17000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M4648591 using FFT length 448K.
[Dec 26 09:02] Torture Test completed 574 tests in 15 hours, 4 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings.
[Dec 26 09:02] Worker stopped.

I have failed to mention the other test that I have done as well to complete my overclock but now I can say it's 100% stable.
testing to confirm my stable overclock:
Prime95 15 hours
OCCT 5 hours
Orthos 5 hours
intelburn test v2.3 5 hours

My overclock is as follows:
E5200 3675.3 x12 overclock 47%
Bus Frequency 306.3 overclock 53.1%
rated fsb 1225.1 Mhz
core Voltage 1.408v
the rig:
motherboard: Asrock P45R2000
windows 7 64 bit
BFG 9800GTX+
OCZ ReaperX HPC OCZ2RPX8002G DDR2 800
3x Seagate 500 raid 0
2x 1 terabyte (used as back so no need to worry)

Happy new year to all
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 27, 2009 3:49:38 AM

Congratulations!
!