Sign in with
Your question

Confused About Unlocking Cores

Last response: in Overclocking
December 23, 2009 11:27:06 AM

I'm new to this forum, and Overclocking techniques. Just built my very first computer:

Antek Three Hundred Case $50
Antek 650W PSU $60
ASRock M3A785GXH Mobo $95
AMD Phenom II X2 550 CPU $97
Corsair 2x2GB 1600 DDR3 RAM $89
Seagate 1TB HDD $85
Samsung 22x SATA DVD-RW $30
Windows 7 Home Premium $105
Rosewill USB KB $10
Rosewill USB Mouse $7
Total $628

I read that I might unlock the extra cores on my Phenom II X2 by setting BIOS ACC to Auto, and it seemed to work:

I thought I had a Phenom II X4 B50. I then set the DDR3 to 1600:

The DRAM overclock worked, but now I seem to have an Opteron CPU! The system is running fine, but I'm confused about what exactly I have? As I said, this is brand new to me, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
December 23, 2009 3:51:08 PM

Now it got verrry interesting!! I used the AMD OverDrive Utility to boost the CPU cores 50% (Novice mode). The machine became unstable (BSOD). I tried to decrease the boost, but now I'm back to where I started:

I'm not into gaming, the most compute intensive thing I might do is DVDFlick, so i'm really not impacted. But I'm very curious whether BIOS detected one, or both, cores were bad and disabled them? Can one of the cores still be good enough to use? Does Dual-core Phenom vs Quad-core Opteron make any difference? Thanks for any reply.
December 31, 2009 10:29:07 PM

The cores would be disabled by AMD if they wouldn't run on stock voltage stable.. up your voltage a bit and see if it is more stable that way... Also, what its being detected as (the name) doesn't really matter I don't imagine.. its probably due to the programming of the overdrive utility.. the range of yoru CPU might made it have thought it was an opteron or something.
Related resources
December 31, 2009 10:39:19 PM

How much of a voltage increase would consider "a bit" to give better stability?
December 31, 2009 10:51:21 PM

That much you will have to look up yourself, I have only been reading about i7 920s and I have been out of the loop for quite a bit...

I'm sure its posted here somewhere bud, what you are doing is very common :-)
January 1, 2010 3:59:37 AM

OK. I'll look it up, give it a try, and keep you posted. Thanks.
!