Think Ive decided on my build...advice wanted

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2008 11:29:52 PM

Hey guys,

So earlier in the year i sold my first rig (Antec 900 and E2180) which with ur advice was amazing for me. Got into Overclocking which i love now and i was able to game!! (Yes a first)
So now im here to build my next rig

My price range is around $1000-1200 without Case and PSU...theyre already bought (thx to dad and labor costs!!)

This is what Ive got atm:

Case + PSU: Antec 1200 and SG 850- bought

Mobo: ASUS Maximus II Formula

CPU: Q9550 combo w/ Mobo is $600 w/ 40 MIR (so 560) i kno the mobo is expensive but ill explain choice below

Ram: Unsure looking at DDR2 800,1000, or 1066. Some that OCs well. Mainly looking at Mushkin (seem to get great reviews)

HD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB $79.99 (enough said)

GPU: EVGA 9800 GX2 $289.99 I kno the 4870x2 is the best thing out ther...i kno. But atm i have a 19" which for either the GX2 or x2 i can play basically any game so i thought to pocket the $260 for a future gpu or other things but other input is welcomed.

Ok, so i plan on overclocking this rig pretty well. I would also like to dive into water cooling (lol no pun intended) just cause its something new to try and if i put the money in now, i decided its basically an investment. Pumps and rads. dont rly change so u are just upgrading ur blocks and add more pumps if necessary. The mobo is extreme on the P45 end, but like stated i rly want to OC this thing, and Swiftech just made a new Chipset block that goes right on the Heatpipes so u can keep the pipes and watercool the chip. If theres a better way please suggest.

Thx for any input guys. THF rock and i always get great advice and input for any build ive done and they are all working great.

Silverion

More about : ive decided build advice wanted

September 19, 2008 1:56:53 PM

i agree with auscanzukus, you should probably go with the 4870 or the GTX 260. when i was looking around for a new graphics card the 9800 gx2 did not really impress me. not really sure about the ram but i think i read some where that if you really want to overclock you ram you should stick with 800mhz stuff. but if you are going to be overclocking this stuff would be cool. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
September 19, 2008 7:42:54 PM

thx for the help

I kno about the H20-220 but i mean a full out custom water rig. I dont like the performance of that drive block as a pump OR a block.

I want to max out my games full of course and have it last a good while until the "new and better" things come

I decided on the 9800GX2 cause it beats the 280, it just doesnt rly have the ability to do multiple cards cause of its bad scaling, but i dont intend on it. I kno its hot but in the 1200 i dont think that will be a problem...
September 20, 2008 1:00:25 AM

bump

I just want to mainly kno about
1) the 9800GX2
2) the mobo cpu combo
and
3) good OCing Ram
September 20, 2008 1:35:34 AM

Silverion77 said:
bump

I just want to mainly kno about
1) the 9800GX2
2) the mobo cpu combo
and
3) good OCing Ram

1) 9800gx2 gives very good performance and unbeatable value if you don't plan to cf/sli.
2) Cpu depends on your budget. Q6600 on the cheap for best value, or q9550 for better performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This for motherboard. Basic, but high performing and solid. More expensive p45 boards come with extra features, but no additional performance over this cheap one. GA-P45-DS3L is the updated version of the GA-P35-DS3L, once considered a legend by ocers back in its days.
3) From personal experience, this ram is outstanding for oc or tightening timing:
It's out of stock though. But those look good and are in stock.
Or get 1066mhz ddr2 at a cost:
1066mhz ddr2 aren't native. They're all just 800mhz sticks that are proven to oc to 1066, and you'll have to set the clock in bios manually. But it's a safer bet to not bottleneck cpu oc.
September 20, 2008 1:50:56 AM

Well....hmmm

I always considered going Q6600 and say a P5Q Pro, but i rly want to get a high cpu. The GPU i can just change out and they change rather quickly thats y i want to save the $250 over the 4870x2 especially since i have a 19" (what do u think dagger)

CPU though i want to last awhile until hopefully the next microarchitecture (sandy bridge i think) or at least Westmere for the die shrink. Thats y i want to spend more for a Q9550 OC the crap out of it (using water cooling cause i want a new thing to try and to me i think its an investment). But to do that i want a good mobo.

Will something like a P5Q Pro or E or even the DS3L be able to sustain such a clock?? I might H2O cool the NB thats y i chose the Maximus 2 because of the new Swiftech block that lets u keep the pipes....:D 
September 20, 2008 2:43:16 AM

Silverion77 said:
Well....hmmm

I always considered going Q6600 and say a P5Q Pro, but i rly want to get a high cpu. The GPU i can just change out and they change rather quickly thats y i want to save the $250 over the 4870x2 especially since i have a 19" (what do u think dagger)

CPU though i want to last awhile until hopefully the next microarchitecture (sandy bridge i think) or at least Westmere for the die shrink. Thats y i want to spend more for a Q9550 OC the crap out of it (using water cooling cause i want a new thing to try and to me i think its an investment). But to do that i want a good mobo.

Will something like a P5Q Pro or E or even the DS3L be able to sustain such a clock?? I might H2O cool the NB thats y i chose the Maximus 2 because of the new Swiftech block that lets u keep the pipes....:D 

P45 runs at 1600mhz fsb natively, and ocs reliably to 2000mhz, so it should be enough. Q9550's 8.5x multiplier is high enough to keep fsb from bottlenecking on p45. P5q and DS3L performs the same, as nearly all p45 boards. What you pay extra for in p5q is features, not performance.

Water cooling is never cost effective. Cheaper models cool no better than the best air coolers, and higher end models cost a lot. There are also horror stories concerning leaks or algae growth if you ask around. :p 

Consider a good air cooler instead:
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

As for cutting corners on cpu to fill gpu, it'll certainly deliver better performance for gaming. Up to you.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4870_X2/...
September 20, 2008 2:52:48 AM

I kno its not cost effective....the whole $60 for air cooling and $300 for water i kno i kno, but i need something new and fun to do (lol) plus i see it as an investment pumps and rads dont change but the blocks do, and those are just the same price as a air cooler. Its just the initial price to start.
OR im just delusional and should stay with air (but i rly want water)....

Anyways, back to business....about 2000 reliable is (lets see 8.5 x 500 = around 4.25GHz if the Q9550 stays cool enough w/ the right voltage) thats what i like to see rofl

I mean this is to last awhile with maybe a new gpu here or there....
I could go Q6600 + P5Q-E + 4870x2 but ugh to me i just dont think i need such power. I mean u dont see a difference in 150 and 200 frames rly....so to dumb down other parts just to get the better gpu that to me is a waste just doesnt sound right
It sounds better for me to get a Q6600 + P5Q-E and the GX2 still

Get what im saying??
September 20, 2008 3:08:50 AM

Silverion77 said:
I kno its not cost effective....the whole $60 for air cooling and $300 for water i kno i kno, but i need something new and fun to do (lol) plus i see it as an investment pumps and rads dont change but the blocks do, and those are just the same price as a air cooler. Its just the initial price to start.
OR im just delusional and should stay with air (but i rly want water)....

Anyways, back to business....about 2000 reliable is (lets see 8.5 x 500 = around 4.25GHz if the Q9550 stays cool enough w/ the right voltage) thats what i like to see rofl

I mean this is to last awhile with maybe a new gpu here or there....
I could go Q6600 + P5Q-E + 4870x2 but ugh to me i just dont think i need such power. I mean u dont see a difference in 150 and 200 frames rly....so to dumb down other parts just to get the better gpu that to me is a waste just doesnt sound right
It sounds better for me to get a Q6600 + P5Q-E and the GX2 still

Get what im saying??

The top air cooler cost $40, or $35 ar.
A decent water solution can run quite a bit more than the $300 you mentioned. There are blocks and everything, not just pump/cooler.

As for cpu and gpu, that's up to you. 9800gx2, costing half as much as 4870x2, is certainly much better bang for the buck. I'd probably get 9800gx2 too in this case, just to feel good later on, if nothing else. It already had its price drop, and will either stay around the same or run out of stock. 4870x2 will probably cut in half in price later on, like 9800gx2 did, after the next generation came out. Anyone who brought it now for double price might end up feeling like those who brought 9800gx2 when it was still $500+.
September 20, 2008 3:17:38 AM

yea so i think ill stay with the GX2 i mean for $290 i cant go wrong and i save $260 for next build plus i feel rly good. No CF or SLI so those dont matter etc.

Now i just gotta decide either Q9550 or Q6600 lol (me and my OCD :kaola: )

Yea i kno about rads and blocks...i did all the research. I figured for a cpu only loop its around 350 depending on the parts u get...i just view it as an investment sort of. U pay initial prices and then u just pay for blocks but idk well see. I can always add it later and give the cooler to my dads workstation. (a Q9550 and 2 9800GTXs are cramp in a P182 :p )
September 20, 2008 7:57:21 AM

I read recently that someone felt the x48 boards were better for overclocking quad cores, and P45 for duals. This was a review of the P5Q Pro I think, possibly Tweaktown. I don't know that it's true, but it's something to consider. No rationale was given.

If I were building today I would make a Q9550 a priority, over pretty much any other part except PSU. The Q6600 was good for it's day, but my impression is core speed is still more important in gaming. It's changing, but slowly. Maybe next year you'll start to use those extra cores more, but today you need more speed than the Q6600 will provide.

The P5Q -E will overclock just as well as the Maximus II, and probably good enough. I can't see spending more than that on P45, honestly... except there's one Gigabyte board in the $180 range I thought looked interesting.

The P5Q -E will overclock better than the Pro for sure.

I think water cooling is nice, and I'll get around to it some day... but I have a few reservations. For one, you still need case fans. Can't be avoided because you can't put a block on everything. Anything with current running through it and resistance is going to get warm.

I have a bit of an engineers mentality. I like simple. The more complex something is, the more parts it has, the more likely something will break. For that reason I would favor the 4870 over the 9800Gx2. That's just the way I would go and I have no major objection to the nVidia GPUs. Of course, if something bizarre happened and you won a 30" monitor in a drawing, you would be able to add a second 4870 to that board.

Just get some 1066Mhz or better RAM that has reasonable voltage:

September 20, 2008 12:19:45 PM

thx Proximon Then i can get the P5Q-E (or Deluxe i need to check features)
Then that will save money for an H20 system and OC the crap out of it....:D 

I think i got my build down....thx for all ur help guys
P5Q E or Deluxe (features), Q9550, 4 gigs good ram, 4870/9800GX2 (think ill go with GX2 cause even though winning a 30" sounds awesome....i doubt it will happen but i get ur point :p ) and the 640 AAKS of course
!