Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

* Arctic Silver MX-2 vs. OCZ Freeze Thermal Compounds *

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 9, 2008 1:22:32 AM

I'm going to install my OCZ Vendetta HSF...which thermal compound will give me the best cooling?
The people's champ AS MX-2, or the thermal paste that comes with the OCZ Vendetta, the OCZ Freeze?
I was only able to find one review that compared the two, and the freeze was a tad better...just wondering if anyone has done comparisons, or has experience with these two.
e8400+750i ftw+ocz vendetta 1
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2008 1:35:44 AM

everyone keeps talking about MX-2 like its god but i dont notice a difference between that and AS5 to be honest. but between those two, use mx2.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2008 1:43:16 AM

adreen said:
this review makes sense to me :S
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1265/4/ocz_freeze_ther...
results are so close, i might aswell not pay more for mx-2...right!?


um... ok. that review basically says "this stuff is better than the silver stuff because... i say so" wheres the data? wheres the temp benchmarks vs. AS5? wheres the system setups? :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2008 1:55:57 AM

Coolaboratory Liquid Pro Metal

Best stuff out there... :na:  i'd actually use it too if it wasn't so bloody expensive
December 9, 2008 1:56:28 AM

Ive used AS5 and OCZ Freeze on my Xiggy S1283 on my Q6600. No difference in temperatures, at all. Keep in mind OCZ Freeze is hard to work with and not susgested for HDT/HDC coolers, the stuff is really thick and dries fast., by time I got the stuff to fill the gaps in my Xiggy base it was already hardening and gathering, its just not ment to be played with, a quick dab and smash is fine.
December 9, 2008 2:25:40 AM

Only have experience with AS5 and the MX2, but between those two, the MX2 wins hands down. I have a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler on a Q6600 G0 CPU overclocked to 3.4. My idle temps right now are 28 degrees. The thing I like about the MX2 is that it is so easy to use. You do not have to worry about shorting circuits out because it is electrically non-conductive. And a little goes a long way. Every one you talk to will probably have their own favorite, but for me it is definitely AC MX2.
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2008 2:34:57 AM

jlabit said:
Only have experience with AS5 and the MX2, but between those two, the MX2 wins hands down. I have a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler on a Q6600 G0 CPU overclocked to 3.4. My idle temps right now are 28 degrees. The thing I like about the MX2 is that it is so easy to use. You do not have to worry about shorting circuits out because it is electrically non-conductive. And a little goes a long way. Every one you talk to will probably have their own favorite, but for me it is definitely AC MX2.


*not to seem like a fanboy* but you do not have to worry about short circuiting with AS5 if you use it the right way aka do not squeeze a tubefull and then smash the heatsink on it. on the plus side im very amazed by your temps using MX2 and that particular heatsink on the q6600. what are your load temps like?
December 9, 2008 3:04:01 AM

werxen said:
um... ok. that review basically says "this stuff is better than the silver stuff because... i say so" wheres the data? wheres the temp benchmarks vs. AS5? wheres the system setups? :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 


ummmmmmm, u realize that's a full review right, and there's 4 pages of it?
that link was only the conclusion :pt1cable:  :o 
December 9, 2008 3:14:10 AM

I've used AS MX-2, I like the "stuff" - no curing.
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2008 3:45:57 AM

adreen said:
ummmmmmm, u realize that's a full review right, and there's 4 pages of it?
that link was only the conclusion :pt1cable:  :o 


woops my bad didnt see that.
December 9, 2008 3:51:18 AM

werxen said:
everyone keeps talking about MX-2 like its god but i dont notice a difference between that and AS5 to be honest. but between those two, use mx2.

Here is another review on 33 different Thermal Compounds by BenchmarkReviews.com which I find that they did a very good job of Testing for this review.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
December 9, 2008 6:18:57 AM

Yoosty said:
Here is another review on 33 different Thermal Compounds by BenchmarkReviews.com which I find that they did a very good job of Testing for this review.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

haha, that's frikkin' awesome
thanks for that link!
OCZ is apparently the shizzle, mx-2 isn't even in the top 5.
no extra money spent on thermal grease, yummers thanks to all!
!