Replace 5600+ Windsor with 4850e ???

seligman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I'm building a second AMD desktop computer. Need some advice on how to handle the processors.

My existing desktop is running a 5600+ 89 watt Windsor. No overclocking of any kind. I use it mostly for browsing the web and Adobe CS3.

I bought a new 4850e CPU (45 watt) for the new rig, which will be used much less. But if I swap CPU's between computers, it would probably save lots of $$$ on my energy bill.

Aside from the slightly slower speeds of the 4850e, would I regret this change later on?

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
That 45w chip will be just fine for simple stuff. I havnt seen any benchmarks comparing those two but considering the distance between the chips' release date I would suspect the 4850e is better or the same at least performance wise. But dont take that as truth, as its just a guess.

Well, Brisbane chips are slower than their Windsor counterparts, but they do use much less energy. While you're not going to notice any difference in web browsing you are going to notice a difference in some of the more intensive uses of CS3 such as encoding a big flash video or editing large files. In the case of encoding large video files to flash video format any extra time spent is painful ^_^. It just depends on what you use it for.

seligman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I don't work with any video, in fact, I don't even have games loaded.

My CS3 work is mostly InDesign, with some Illustrator, and a little bit of Photoshop. Occasionally, I get a huge file, but it's so rare, I'm not too concerned.

Can I swap the CPU's later (plug-n-play style) without any software or BIOS changes?

seligman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
One more question.

With the 4850e CPU, do I need a power supply with an 8-pin CPU connector since my mobo has an 8-pin connector, or can I get by with a 4-pin?