Raid 1 rebuilding question.

I am trying to setup a Raid 1 using the Nexstar MX enclosure. The enclosure's eSata is attached
to my motherboard's Jmicron port. Yesterday it started rebuilding. This morning I found the two Hard Drive access lights on the enclosure blinking, so I assumed the rebuild has finished. I rebooted my system, but the enclosure is showing that rebuilding is stated again ! Now its at 35%. How ofter does a Raid 1 system need to rebuild ? Is rebuilding a continuous process with raid ? I have not loaded any file to the main drive.
I am getting frustrated.
5 answers Last reply
More about raid rebuilding question
  1. Test your hardware
  2. The system should only need to rebuild if one of the drives fails. If both drives are working, no rebuild should be needed (although some RAID controllers might periodically do a run through all the blocks on the drives to compare them as a safety measure).
  3. sminlal said:
    The system should only need to rebuild if one of the drives fails. If both drives are working, no rebuild should be needed (although some RAID controllers might periodically do a run through all the blocks on the drives to compare them as a safety measure).

Thanks. I hope after this rebuild, the mirror operation will be performed at the same time that a file is read to the first drive - and only to update the change. I can't see myself going through this again. I am new to Raid as you could see. With a Raid 1 system, if I delete a file or write a file, does the change on the mirror drive happen in parallel instead of a rebuild??
    Thanks.
  4. When the RAID array is "healthy", every write is done in parallel to both disks. When you delete a file, it's instantly deleted on both disks. This is one of the many reasons why you you still need to make backups.
  5. Thanks. My Raid1 setup is OK. I was just being impatient. After the rebuild operation, it went into "verify" mode. After that everything was ok. The writes are done in parallel.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Enclosure Storage