Sign in with
Your question

Raid 1 rebuilding question.

Last response: in Storage
February 21, 2010 7:15:09 PM

I am trying to setup a Raid 1 using the Nexstar MX enclosure. The enclosure's eSata is attached
to my motherboard's Jmicron port. Yesterday it started rebuilding. This morning I found the two Hard Drive access lights on the enclosure blinking, so I assumed the rebuild has finished. I rebooted my system, but the enclosure is showing that rebuilding is stated again ! Now its at 35%. How ofter does a Raid 1 system need to rebuild ? Is rebuilding a continuous process with raid ? I have not loaded any file to the main drive.
I am getting frustrated.
a b G Storage
February 21, 2010 7:28:29 PM

Test your hardware
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
February 22, 2010 12:35:03 AM

The system should only need to rebuild if one of the drives fails. If both drives are working, no rebuild should be needed (although some RAID controllers might periodically do a run through all the blocks on the drives to compare them as a safety measure).
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2010 1:39:00 AM

sminlal said:
The system should only need to rebuild if one of the drives fails. If both drives are working, no rebuild should be needed (although some RAID controllers might periodically do a run through all the blocks on the drives to compare them as a safety measure).

Thanks. I hope after this rebuild, the mirror operation will be performed at the same time that a file is read to the first drive - and only to update the change. I can't see myself going through this again. I am new to Raid as you could see. With a Raid 1 system, if I delete a file or write a file, does the change on the mirror drive happen in parallel instead of a rebuild??
Thanks.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
February 22, 2010 4:14:26 AM

When the RAID array is "healthy", every write is done in parallel to both disks. When you delete a file, it's instantly deleted on both disks. This is one of the many reasons why you you still need to make backups.
m
l
February 25, 2010 2:04:44 AM

Thanks. My Raid1 setup is OK. I was just being impatient. After the rebuild operation, it went into "verify" mode. After that everything was ok. The writes are done in parallel.
m
l
!