PureEvil760

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
hi my computer started shutting down randomly a couple days ago, it seems to be shutting down faster and faster, after the first time it was a couple hours now its down to about 10 minutes even idle. ive had this computer working fine for about 2 years but i dont think i put thermal grease on the heatsinc i looked at the core temp while running one of my games, it went up to over 86c then shutdown, im wondering if the cpu has been perminently damaged now..i ordered arctic silver, a new processor and more memory but just wondering if this is most likely a problem with the cpu and not somthing else, plenty of fans and airflow all working fine, thanks.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
yeah probably. same thing happened to my buddies Pentium D on a stock heatsink. you will eventually reach a point where you just turn the computer on and it will shut down on boot at least that's what happend to my friends. curious tho- what processor are you running? if its a pentium d its going to make my night.

I've seen silver compound dry up before. if it's been two years since you re applied it then I would go ahead and re-apply it. I don't think the cpu would just suddenly heatup because something is wrong with it.

If anything I would say it's a motherboard problem. Mybe the motherboard is feeding it to much juice.

PureEvil760

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
psykhiq, when i built it i didnt use any kind of thermal compound or pad at all.. hope its not the motherboard but its a possibility..i never checked the full load temperature before it started crashing so it could've been running hot this whole time..not sure, how long until the silver compound should be re-applied after first application and regular use?

the standard heatsink has thermal interface material applied, and it wouldn't have lasted this long without.

check that the legs of the heatsink are still firmly in place, they may have crept (they are only plastic after all).

i doubt the cpu is damaged.

PureEvil760

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks for your help everyone, i'm going to wait for my new processor to arrive then see if that works.

monkey, my heatsinc did come with thermal grease (i think) but i didnt know what it was for and the directions didnt say..plus i lost it now but it was never applied there was no thermal padding or anything between the processor and heatsinc for a long time.

It could be the motherboard but im convinced its the processor unless the heat from the processor damaged the motherboard in some way..its possible its been running over 80c for awhile now and just now was affected by it.

pure: all of intel sinks i've seen recently had a pre-applied pad of material on the heatsink itself, you'd have to actually scrape it off to remove it.

The C2D'swill throttle and cut out to keep safe so its unlikely there is damage i'd suggest running it to see if it is stable before buying a new processor.

PureEvil760

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Monkey, it wasnt an intel sink, it was an intel processor, i did'nt buy it prebuilt, i'm 100% sure there was no thermal pad or grease on it because i didnt apply any..already bought a new processor its coming today..what is C2D?

PureEvil760

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
alright installed the new processor, didnt screw in the heatsink tightly yet but it seemed to run fine until i left it alone and it shut down when i was afk for a few minutes, i'm beginning to think it is the powersource because when trying to start it up after plugging it in it turns on and shuts off immediatly, after trying to start it about 3-4 times it starts up..

thought it was the processor because it started crashing only when i was playing system whore games, would those also affect the powersource like that?
its this one if that helps http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2235424&CatId=2533

if you are not going to screw the heat sink down wth thermal interface material then do not turn the PC on. only 2 years ago (before the latest generation of processors) doing what you have just done would have killed your processor in a matter of seconds, with the potential for fire.

The hsf needs to be screwed down tight or clipped in properly so that there is a good contact between the hsf and the processor, this allows heat to transfer properly, thermal interface material accounts for any discrepancies between the two surfaces.

If you previously had no thermal material then it is very likely that you were overheating the CPU, you do not need a new power supply at this stage. Knowing what you system spcs are will help with determining whether your PSU is right or not.

Its starting to sound like you don't know what you are doing, please ask for help before you do things as it may save you a lot of money and or pain.

If you want to see what your temps ae whilst gaming, use rivatuner to log cpu, gpu and other temps and use its logging function to recor results to a file then you can see what happens when it crashes.

PureEvil760

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I'm obviously not a computer hardware expert congradulations on finally noticing monkey *claps* I came for help not judgement, ty.

I've found that its not the cpu but at least I have a nice upgrade now. It has to be eaither the motherboard or the powersupply, so now its just a matter of figuring out which..or maybe i'll just replace them both. Ty everyone that had useful information (Venom, psy, shadow) I got this.