Sign in with
Your question

Help me pick a PSU

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2008 1:25:18 PM

Here's a list of what will be running off of my new PSU:

Intel Core i7 920
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked (36 Amps)
G.Skill 6GB DDR3-1333
(Two) 500GB WD RE3 Hard drives
DVD burner
Antec 1200 case with fans (200mm x1, 120mm x5)

Since the GTX 260 takes two 6-pin power connectors, am I assuming right when I think that the 36 Amps it requires can be pulled from two different 12v+ rails with a high enough combined Amp rating? I haven't built a computer since graphics cards starting needing their own power connections :) .

I'd like the power supply to be modular to help with cable management and airflow. I would also like it to have blue LED lighting as a bonus option. It's not terribly important but would be nice.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks in advance!

More about : pick psu

December 9, 2008 1:48:47 PM

I've seen OCZ PSUs with blue LEDS in them, they look pretty sharp, and they make a descent product too. Personally, i'd stick to Corsair - but their always overpriced.
a c 139 ) Power supply
December 9, 2008 2:06:55 PM

GTX 260 does not require 36 amps. Evga recommends a PSU with 500watts and +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amps for the entire PC. Evga GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked
For a dual GTX 260 something in the 750-850watt range should be good. Corsair 750TX or PC Power & Cooling S75QB
Use some blue LED lighting for better case mod lighting options.
Related resources
December 9, 2008 2:59:13 PM

I was thinking about upgrading to two GTX 260's sometime in the future. If I did this, either of those two PSU's that you suggested would be ok? Is there a way to find out how many Amps a single 260 requires? Are there any advantages of having multiple 12v rails over a single rail? I heard PSU's went to multiple rails to have less amperage getting to the end of a single connector; as a way to help isolate problems, but I don't know of any other reasons.
December 9, 2008 7:39:37 PM

Draxxiss said:
I just saw that Newegg has a combo deal going on with the Antec 1200 case and this power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Even with the combo discount is that PSU overkill for what I need? Even if I upgrade to two GTX 260's in the future?

Its overkill of course but then again what isnt...
I have the Signature and bought it with the exact combo
The Antec Signature in terms of quality is amazing. Has amazing regulation, almost no ripple and great efficiency ratings.
Id get it if u have the money for it. I love mine
Edit: Ugh where's my sig?!?! My Signature is in there...lol

As others have said, the Corsairs are great (TX 750) and cheaper

As to the previous poster, dont u dare show that PSU again. kingwin is not good in terms of quality. Other manufacturers are much better
December 9, 2008 7:51:12 PM

Corsair 750TX - you will never regret it
December 10, 2008 1:49:28 AM

Silverion77 said:
As to the previous poster, dont u dare show that PSU again. kingwin is not good in terms of quality. Other manufacturers are much better

I read a few reviews about that particular PSU and everyone that took a look seemed to really like it. Not knowing much about Kingwin, I then went and checked out their earlier PSU's with lower total wattage. It seems as if their other models (below 1000W) were iffy at best.

Naturally, I am very hesitant about buying from a non-major manufacturer, but that Kingwin is exactly what I was looking for in terms of style. I'm just not sure I want to go out on that quality limb.
December 10, 2008 1:54:03 AM

jamesgoddard said:
the 750TX is still cheaper - and god I love that single rail :) 

What is it that you love about the single rail? Is it because it basically free's you from manually managing power distribution?
December 10, 2008 2:17:26 AM

Its all basically a myth between Multiple rail and single rail, because most multirail designs are just singles artificially split.
But the main concern is that u cant overload a single rail with too many amps. So supposedly in some cases u will get some amps that cannot be used and are "stuck". With a Single rail design, that block is basically taken out. Theres a quick stick on the jonnyguru.com forums in the PSU section that discusses it.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

As to the Kingwin....i just feel there are better choices than it and i dont like 1 year warranties...
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 10, 2008 2:57:35 AM

I build pc's for friends, neighbors, and girlfriends. I use Corsair exclusively. The Corsair psu's are rock solid and very stable. Tom's hardware recently did a review of power supplies. Corsair did very well.

Here is a link to a list of psu's divided into categories:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

You'll notice that Kingwin is in tier 5 - not recommended. Try and choose a psu in the tier 2 category.
December 10, 2008 9:35:46 AM

Ugh not that list again.....

OP just give us a price and if u want modular...ill give u a psu
Its the easiest way
December 10, 2008 10:04:57 AM

Personally i would choose an AcBel PSU. They supply a lot of the companies mentioned with components, etc and have just entered the retail business and so give you the same quality for a much lower price. The r88 series seem especially nice (80%+ efficiency)

Check this out> http://www.acbel.com/PDF/P_PC/SingleR88-1100W.pdf

December 10, 2008 11:38:09 AM

Silverion77 said:
Ugh not that list again.....

OP just give us a price and if u want modular...ill give u a psu
Its the easiest way

Well, I guess I was prepared to spend up to $170-$180, but if it can be done for much cheaper while still retaining quality and reliability then obviously that would be ideal. I do want modular connections and I want to be able to support two GTX 260's in the future. Also, a little bling in the form of blue LED's would be nice, but not necessary. I'm not even sure the good manufacturers even any PSU's with LED lighting.
December 10, 2008 7:17:16 PM

Well for Blue LEDs its harder. Many good companies dont usually use them, while others use them as "bling" to increase sales....some ppl like bling more than reliability.
For that u can look though at the Gigabyte Odin 800. Its great quality and has blue LEDs!!. I cant find it on Newegg anymore, only the 1200 but u can look for it.

As for a non LED modular in that price id say get these:
Thermaltake 750 great quality, good price
Seasonic 700 great quality, good price
Corsair 620 great quality, tad expensive
Antec Signature 650 amazing quality, expensive
Antec Quattro 850 good quality, cheap

Most of those DO not have 4 PCI-E chords and u will need to split them...
If u want a good non-modular one grab this:
Corsair TX750 great quality, cheap, 4 PCI-E
!