Sign in with
Your question

How is the Geforce 9500 gt?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 14, 2008 7:09:54 PM

I am beating my head against the wall trying to get a new system together. I have been posting about it in the new system section, just one headache after another. Well I finally have it all together and running except for the video card being DOA. Newegg is taking it back, they're giving me a refund.

So the deal is, my wife wants the comp NOW. This build is for her so she gets OFF of mine. She's like, look, I am tired of waiting, I really want this thing together. SO, since I have a trusty Best Buy credit card, that's where I will go, as soon as I get off work.

Seems to me the best deal they have is the 9500 gt. How is that card? The resolution will never be more than 1024 by 768. The rest of the specs are:

Athlon 64x2 5000+

2 gigs OCZ DDR2 800

320 gig sata

gigabyte mobo

Now, I do know that BB is not the best deal in the world, but in the interest of time, I am buying from them tonight. Anyone have any better suggestions from there, or will I be OK with the 9500 gt? It will be replacing a Radeon HD 4670 that was bad on arrival.

Thanks for any input.

More about : geforce 9500

a c 186 U Graphics card
October 14, 2008 7:53:46 PM

If you`re (she`s) playing games then the 9500 GT is n`t a bad card at that resolution but the 9600 GT and HD4670 are well ahead in performance.
At such a low res, you`ll (she`ll) need to use a little AA to smooth things out so I`s suggest the more powerful cards to maintain smooth gameplay.
If games are no issue, then just get the cheapest PCI-E card around, it will easily handle normal applications software demands.
October 14, 2008 7:57:20 PM

The HD 4670 should be priced very, very similarly, and blows it away. I think roughly double the performance.
Related resources
October 14, 2008 8:08:33 PM

Dekasav said:
The HD 4670 should be priced very, very similarly, and blows it away. I think roughly double the performance.

Best Buy doesnt have the 4670 from what I can see. The 4670 is what I orderd from newegg and have to RMA. The drivers for that card seem borked, too, as they are specific to that card and come only with the installation disc.

Shame, I would like to keep the 4670 but as I said, not an option to wait a week or more for another card. Appreciate the input, guys.
October 14, 2008 8:12:15 PM

Oh, and yes games are for sure an issue.
October 14, 2008 8:24:45 PM

So you already have the broken card at Newegg and are waiting for a refund... so what's to stop you ordering another 4670 (different brand) from them and having it in a day or two? The 4670 blows the 9500 out of the water. As for drivers, 8.10 should be out soon and will support the 4670.
October 14, 2008 8:31:03 PM

trevorvdw said:
So you already have the broken card at Newegg and are waiting for a refund... so what's to stop you ordering another 4670 (different brand) from them and having it in a day or two? The 4670 blows the 9500 out of the water. As for drivers, 8.10 should be out soon and will support the 4670.

As silly as it sounds, I cannot explain the tension right now between my wife and I over the single PC that I have. I built it. For ME. I have work on it I NEED to do tonight. She has things she wants to do on it. She hasnt been able to use the PC since Friday and she is getting upset, which I understand.

Fact is, we absolutely need to have her PC up and running as soon as humanly possible before we kill each other. She wants to take over my PC, and I am not having it. She wont accept not having a PC now that she is used to being able to get onto mine. So that is the situation.

And as far as ordering it from newegg, they have been nice to me, but every last time I order from them, it is screwed up somehow, whether a bad part, a missing part, etc. I want a refund and I will not use them anymore. All it means is delays when using them. I should have had this thing up and running last week. That was my fault. However, last night when I finally had all of the parts together and working, the vid card was bad. A delay that is their fault, not mine. Last time I built a PC, they left the PSU out of the order, leaving me to wait 3 more days for it.

Like I said, newegg reps are nice, but using that company just causes delays. Eventually you'll get your system built but they are more hassle than they are worth in my experience.
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 14, 2008 8:37:00 PM

^^^AH!
Well, the best bet seems to be the 9600GT. At 1024x768 the 9600 might be a bit of overkill, but the extra performance can be used to gain extra image quality with high AA/AF settings to reduce the effects of the lower resoloution.
And the HD4670 would sneer any game at 1024x768. if you can find it.
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 14, 2008 8:38:41 PM

Well, the best bet seems to be the 9600GT. At 1024x768 the 9600 might be a bit of overkill, but the extra performance can be used to gain extra image quality with high AA/AF settings to reduce the effects of the lower resoloution.
And the HD4670 would sneer any game at 1024x768. if you can find it.
October 14, 2008 8:48:19 PM

Wow, either you are a very nice husband or gonna get your head chopped off over a graphics card! I'd tell her she's gotta wait like the rest of us... :D 

Anyways, so basically you are going to have a cheap gpu lying around after you get the 4xxx series card? For the price, that 38xx card someone linked to is good. the 9500gt should be okay for a week.

I've never heard such a bad experience from newegg! I've bought over 3k of stuff there without any problems.

Hope you are still alive after the BB experience. :D 
a c 196 U Graphics card
October 14, 2008 8:50:41 PM

...assuming her PSU is up to it. What PSU did you put in her system?
!