Sign in with
Your question

Windows Explorer shut offs hardware related?

Last response: in CPUs
December 9, 2008 5:41:29 PM

I posted this in the motherboard sections, but I haven't received much feedback.

My computer recently started shutting down for an unknown reason. Whenever I'm in My Computer looking through files, it will shut down. The blue screen pops up for a brief second, but I can read that Windows Explorer is the supposed problem. Windows Explorer seems to be the only thing that causes the crashes. I tried virus scans, setting changes, system restore, and even reinstalling Windows. Nothing works. I have pretty much narrowed it down to hardware. Does anyone know what would cause this?

My specs are:
Pentium D 925 (3.0Ghz/800Mhz/2x2mb)
2GB of DDR2 667Mhz Off-brand RAM
WD 80GB SATA hard drive
ATI HD2600XT with 512MB GDDR3
ECS P4M900T-M
OCZ Stealth X Stream 500W PSU
I'm running Windows Vista.

There are no overclocks and there've never been any. I've had most parts for the last year and a half except the Video card and PSU are only about 2-3weeks old. But I bought them both brand new. Any ideas?
December 12, 2008 12:56:12 AM

Check your temps with HWMonitor or Speedfan and make sure nothing is overheating. If not, it might be your power supply. Though the power supply is unlikely.
December 12, 2008 1:58:02 AM

Id be more inclined to say RAM considering its getting on and its "off-brand" RAM

Grab Memtest86+ bootable and run that for a while to check for errors.
Related resources
December 12, 2008 4:46:06 PM

The temps are all below 40C even under load. The PSU is only about a month old, and it's a quality brand. The RAM and Motherboard are the two low quality parts.

I ran memtest. It failed test #8. Does anyone know what this test indicates? I'll try buying new RAM, but I'd still like to know what's wrong with this RAM. Test #8 anyone?
December 12, 2008 5:39:48 PM

Means your RAM is stuffed.

Try with only one stick and narrow down which one is bad.
December 12, 2008 6:23:18 PM

^That
But i would buy new ram anyways. Just because its nice to have matched pairs.
December 12, 2008 7:04:27 PM

First of all, the computer shuts down while doing other stuff as well. I only had excel open and it restarted twice.

Quote:
Means your RAM is stuffed.

What do you mean by "stuffed"? Is there anyway to repair the RAM even partially? I hate to have to throw away my 2GB of RAM. They worked so well for a while.

Quote:
Try with only one stick and narrow down which one is bad.

It's only one stick of RAM. I thought it'd be nice to have an open slot for expansion. Bad idea to buy it cheap on ebay.
December 12, 2008 7:08:05 PM

^Yeah that ram is toast. There is nothing you can do to fix it. Get it out of your system before it starts corrupting files and the like. Ram is extremely cheap nowadays. You gat get 2x2gb GOOD sticks of ddr2 800 ram for under 30 bucks on newegg.
December 12, 2008 11:35:48 PM

Quote:
Get it out of your system before it starts corrupting files and the like.

Will it corrupt files if I'm just checking email?

Quote:
2x2gb GOOD sticks of ddr2 800 ram for under 30 bucks on newegg.

The only one that I see is from AllComponants, which I've never heard of. Plus you have to pay shipping. Is AllComponents a good brand? There's also some Kingston for $33, but it's got a CL of 6. Is there a big difference between CL 5 and CL6? Wouldn't I be better getting only 2GB of higher quality RAM like the OCZ Gold for $23?

AllComponents: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Kingston: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OCZ Gold: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 13, 2008 12:39:55 AM

I would go with the last two but in reality, anything from Newegg will be multiple times better than anything from ebay. Reading emails shouldn't hurt anything. But i wouldn't work on any work documents or anything that you need to save and need later.
December 13, 2008 12:59:19 AM

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know if new RAM doesn't help the problem. I think I'll order the 2GB of OCZ since 4GB is more than I need.
December 13, 2008 6:20:47 AM

If you have more than one stick in the system you should still narrow it down to which stick it is. This will confirm its not a BIOS setting issue (RAM timings or voltage) or that its not an issue with the motherboard (memory controller).
December 13, 2008 4:51:16 PM

It's actually only one 2GB stick. I hope it's not a motherboard issue since I just ordered new RAM. The problem did start about 2 weeks after upgrading to Vista. But reloading vista didn't help, so I don't think that's it.
December 13, 2008 6:34:18 PM

^I don't thinkits a motherboard issue. Ebay ram is too easy of a culprit. Good luck!
!