Vista Performance Index and Gtx 280

attesan997

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I recently built a new system: p5q deluxe, 8gb of gskill ram, gtx 280, corsair 750 watt psu, E8500 and an antec 1200. Besides the terrible cable management the only issue that I have is with the Vista Performance Index(I'm not 100% sure that's what its called but I'm not in front of it now) not being as high as it should. Every score is in the 5s except the ones related to the gpu. I would imagine this is more of a Vista gimmick than a pertinent performance metric, but since I haven't run any games yet to test out the gpu I'm somewhat worried/annoyed in advance that there is going to be a problem. It's rating the gtx 280 as a 1.0. Aero is running, which is kinda wierd since I got the lowest performan

I guess the question is does anyone have experience with this issue? I installed the drivers off of the cd and it's been running updates/stress testing (OC'd to 3.8) while I'm at work.

Edit: I re seated the card this morning because my monitor suddenly stopped working so I don't think it's that. I'll try that but if I push anymore I think the board will snap in half.
Also I haven't checked for updated drivers yet because the mobo sees it as a GTX 280. I can try that also. Thanks in advance for any help

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
5.9 is the highest Vista will rate your hardware. Go to Nvidia's website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card. You probably got old drivers or maybe XP drivers by accident.

At the moment, the scale only goes to 5.9. If Vista is rating your card a 1, it's because it detects the driver either isn't proper or isn't properly installed.

What I would recommend at this point is uninstall the driver you have, then follow up with a good app to collect the trash - Either DriverCleaner or CCCleaner are very nice. Restart and reach out to nVidia to download and install the latest driver. Once that's done, run the WEI tool again, and you should see updated numbers.

You are correct in presuming WEI isn't any sort of real/accurate benchmark. But it does do one thing that other utilities seem to overlook - Looks at your system performance in terms of overall throughput/performance, rather than a measurement of the speed of individual components. The execution isn't the greatest, since there really isn't enough detail to say exactly what the bottleneck may be. But I do like the idea of viewing the computer in terms of how it works as a whole. Would be nice to see a more serious app taking that approach.

attesan997

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Just wanted to give you guys and update. I downloaded driver cleaner pro and ran that till it froze after a few minutes. I restarted and ran it again, it froze again. But this time it was kind enough to remove a part of the drivers. CCleaner took care of the rest. I installed the newest drivers and the nvidia site and the score up to 5.9, only the 3.8ghz E8500 is bringing down the index to a 5.8.