Sign in with
Your question

Problem with external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
February 22, 2010 5:03:29 PM

When I turn off my computer for the night, my external stays on, it won't turn off by itself and must be unplugged for it to power down. When I turn the computer on, sometimes the computer tries to boot from the external, realizes there are no OS files on the external and switches to the internal to boot into Windows 7. When that is not an issue, and the computer boots fine, the hard drive is on, but not recognized by my computer. The external is not seen at all. I have to unplug the hard drive, plug it back in and wait about a minute for the computer to see it. Despite all the problems, when its working I can access all the files on the hard drive and it works fine. So what can be done to remedy said problems. Thanks.

P.S. I popped out the old 80Gb one and put in a 100Gb, but the problems were still there sometimes.
February 23, 2010 11:30:39 PM

What kind of external drive are you using? Is it USB or externally powered? Is it a retail product or did you "build it" with a kit? Has it always had this issue? Have you tried moving the USB cable to another plug on the PC? Sorry for replying with only questions, but such is the world of forum troubleshooting :p 
m
l
February 24, 2010 12:31:22 AM

hmm... have you installed your latest usb drivers? updated your bios? check your boot up devices in bios and disable the external as a boot up device....
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2010 12:32:56 AM

since you mentioned a swap out it would apear you have an external enclosure with a physical hard drive in it is this correct? or is it a standalone external drive?
m
l
March 9, 2010 11:06:35 AM

Sorry, yall both took the time to reply and I am not just getting back. It is externally powered. It was a retail product, when I took it apart I discovered an IDE hard drive, and had an extra larger IDE hard drive laying around, so I performed the swap. There was the problem before hand as well. BIOS is up to date, and Windows 7 installs the latest USB drivers when its plugged in.
m
l
!