Undervolting for general word and background tasks?

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
So, with my new CPU I would like to undervolt it, by this I mean I want to find the lowest voltage I can run my cpu.

This part is time comsuming and I know how to.

What I would like some input on is:

If I undervolt in bios, run normal apps like word, or leave comp on for background tasks like defrag, av check etc..., is it possible to overclock it back to something grat and fast for when I want to game?

I thinking AMD fusion for in desktop?

Maybe Overdrive and set a profile?

Here's an example:

I undervolt the cpu (ofcourse this is after I have tested stability), run AV or defag and leave for work. I come home and want to game for a short while, so use Overdrive with a saved overclock profile to 4.0ghz and volt increase to say 1.42/1.45. Will this work?

What is the best option? to save on heat and power usage during these simple tasks and go extreme/high when I want it to?

Btw, check my config from profile, cpu now is AMD 965 125w, I dont want to underclock it, leaving it at stock 3.4ghz during simple tasks and overclock to 4/3.9 for gaming/heavy usage.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

When i set my 955 to 3.4 ghz, the lowest voltage that is stable is 1.200, and that actually makes a pretty big temperature difference.

QuadraticAmoeba

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

Isn't this what AMD Cool and Quiet is designed for? My AMD 955 is at 800 MHz (and 0.74V) when I'm just browsing or listening to music. When I game, it goes up to 3200 MHz (and 1.225V) automatically.

BTW, I have undervolted the CPU, the default voltages at 800 MHz and 3200 MHz for me were 0.975V and 1.35V.

Does this answer your question?

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Ok guys thanks for the replies, I wasnt sure if this could be done and will be testing using your replies.

Though Cool and Queit may work, it reduces the multipyer to get 800 and fan speed. Im not sure if it also alters the cpu voltage, however, I have a fan controller which I will be installling at some point, and I dont like the whole throttling during intensive use, such as gaming. Although I like single player's, I mainly game online and the last thing Id want is lagg caused by cpu being run lower than how fast I want.

paul mohr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
As long as the software you are using lets you control the voltage then yes it will work. That is the whole point behind having different profiles. If the software does not let you control the voltage you are stuck with whatever voltage you choose from your bios. And if you wanted to speed it up would have to go into you bios, overclock it and re boot.

Like for an example on my computer what you want to do will not work. Simply because my bios will not let any of software control control the voltages. For some reason if I try to over clock with software it is very limited to what I can control. If I go into the bios itself I have much more control.

So it will boil down to what software you are using and how much control your motherboard will let it have.