Dual to Quad Core Upgrade For Dell E521? [SOLVED]

Nuvious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I am planning on upgrading my Dell e521 to a new processor. Currently it is an AMD AthlonX2 5400. I have the following questions before I make a purchase.

1.Can I upgrade it to a Tri or Quad Core processor or do I have to stick with the AthlonX2 series?

2. I've heard that thermal paste isn't always necessary and in some cases can be counter-productive. Do I have to use it and, if I do, should I use silver paste or a thermal pad?

3. The heat sink in my E521 is HUGE (about 4 inches cube). Would it be better to use that instead of the fan/heat sink that comes with the processor (I imagine it is).

Thanks in advance for serious replies!

[SOLVED]

The E521 does not support anything higher than a dual core processor. I plan on getting a CPU - Motherboard Combo to do my upgrade. Thanks for your replies!

Nuvious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
P.S. Not too concerned about speed, mostly want more processors for my tasks to run on, might even downgrade the speed to get more cores.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I agree with jamesgoddard. However, It never hurts to call Dell to ask to see if the motherboard supports x3 or x4 phenom processors just to be sure.