dbmine

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
If I set up raid 10 using 4 1tb hdd and create a boot partion, will raid 10 see all give me the size of the partition left over or will it give me the whole 2048 GB. In other words does the raid software see each partion as a indiviual hdd.

sub mesa

Distinguished
If you create a RAID10 with 4 disks of each 1TB, you end up with a 2TB virtual volume. That's what windows sees, that's what windows partitions. So you don't create a partition on the disks but on the virtual RAID volume instead; to which disk it actually gets written is 'irrelevant' to the operating system.

Your OS normally doesn't see the physical disks of a "Fake"RAID array using Windows-only drivers; because it hides them to avoid any confusion. You'll only see one big 2TB volume you can partition like it was a single 2TB disk.

dbmine

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

I'd like to say, " many thanks", your answer gives me a lot better view of what I'm trying to accomplish. Once again, "Thank You ".

dbmine

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

Well, I must share this little tid bit with all. After sleeping on my raid 10 issue I decided to go to the source INTEL, and it paid off. I downloaded a disk manager from their site that not only initialized the raid volume without an OS reinstall, it also runs volume verifications as needed, in return my volume stays NORMAL. Thanks Intel, oh by the way this is for ICH10, yeah the " fake one". :bounce:

sub mesa

Distinguished
FakeRAID implies that the RAID solution is not in fact hardware-based but rather software-based by hardware.
FakeRAID/HybridRAID/Onboard RAID; its all the same.

Intel ICHxR RAID Drivers are actually the most advanced of all the onboard Windows RAID engines. But it's still software; unlike some people who think their motherboard's RAID support is hardware-based.