New system, Power Flux

krizak

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

MB: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

VIDEO: VisionTek 900250 Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

RAM: mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996599 - Retail

HD: 2x Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM

COOLER: Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - Retail

CPU COOL: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

POWER SUPPLY: COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Just built this rig today. When I powered up the system for the first time everything would power up (fans included); however, I would not get any video, and after 5 seconds the system would power down. After another 5 seconds it would power up again and repeat the whole process. Also the fans speeds felt very weak.

I know that my power supply is big enough to power up everything I have in the system. Couple things I noticed that my CPU LED on my motherboard was not lit up while all other LED (graphics, harddrive, etc) were. I also tried disconnecting the 8 pin 12v rail from my motherboard and the system would actually stay powered up, the fans went at full speed, but of course I would not get any video and the CPU LED was still dead.

So my question is it possible that my new system may be drawing too much power that my current residence might not be able to supply that (I live in a very old place built in the 50's. Could the electrical system here be faulty enough to not be able to push enough power to my new system? Or could I just have a faulty PSU? I will be bringing my system in with me to work to test it out there but that will not be until Monday.

As a background I have built about 5-6 systems since 98 but it has been a few years since I have built my last one. I know most of the basics when it comes to troubleshooting a new system when you first build it but definitely lack any expertise when it comes to being an electrician. So any suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated!

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Unplug power cord, clear cmos for 10 mins, try each ram stick in each slot, load bios default & up ddr2 voltage a notch to no higher than 2.1v, save & shut down, Unplug power cord, install the other ram. If it fails, try higher voltage.