Firefox interferes with old windows media player (wmv files)

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
I want to play/watch wmv media/video files using the old version of windows media player 'mplayer2.exe' found at the following location on computer:

c:\ program files\ windows media player\ mplayer2.exe

However whenever I try to open a wmv file using mplayer2.exe, the mplayer2 program disappears from screen and Mozilla firefox opens up instead at the following page location:

http://www.windowsmedia.com/RadioUI/Home.aspx?culture=en-gb

(i.e. a list of radio stations)

How can I prevent this from happening so that I can watch wmv media files using mplayer2.exe? I already use mplayer2.exe for playing mp3 music files without problems.

Thanks

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
wmv files in question are downloaded from bbc i player website and incorporate drm software. older style windows media player is not capable of dealing with this and it therefore does something else instead.

sorry would prefer [to] have deleted the whole thread but i notice that after many years this functionality still does not appear to work on this website, not using firefox at least. so much for private sector enterprise!

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
Can't delete post? Sure you can...

Click to "Edit this message" lower right corner of your post... The left one of three buttons...
When the message comes back up in edit mode, look at the left side of the screen, near bottom. There is a checkbox that says to "delete this reply." Check it and "Submit" and your post is gone.

well it don't work actually, is what i was trying to say. it don't work either on my computer at home, from where I posted up the original message (using firefox), or on my pc at work (using internet explorer). The error message i get is:

You are not allowed to edit this message!

Back to previous page

this is the error message i get now and have always got even from when I started posting on this site (for many years now). Try it yourself.

See... My post you quoted is gone.

Hang in there the "new" system for this site is close to being activated and will (?) cure many ailments of this one.