Windows Nt

Just what is Windows NT service pack 6 I can not load a program because it
say I don't have this
8 answers Last reply
More about windows

    http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/nts/downloads/recommended/SP6/allsp6.asp

    "hannamo" <maryannaperry@msn.com> wrote in message
    | Just what is Windows NT service pack 6 I can not load a program because it
    | say I don't have this

    "hannamo" <maryannaperry@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Just what is Windows NT service pack 6 I can not load a program because it
    > say I don't have this

    I remember this kind of problem from way back. It's a defect in the
    program's installer, possibly one missed character.

    You need to contact the vendor of that program, because it's written to look
    for a specific service pack level and not for an "or or greater".

    Program installers try to determine if the system meets the program's
    requirements by checking the OS (operating system), the version of the
    operating system, and then the service pack level. If the minumum
    requirements are not met, the installer will stop.

    So what's probably happening is that the installer is looking for NT, and
    finding it, but instead of checking for a service pack level of 6 "or
    greater", which would be the case for a later version of the OS, like NT 5
    (windows 2000) or 5.1 (XP), it looks for "equal to". It should check for
    "greater than or equal to". It may also not be checking for the OS
    version.

    This is a defect in the installer for that program and indicates that the
    program is probably at least 6 years old. There may be a fix from the
    developer.

    There *may* be a registry change you can make to trick the installer into
    thinking that there is an SP6 installed, but probably only the author will
    know.

    HTH
    -pk

    thank you, I have a new computer with windows xp and just can not get this cd
    to load and I went to the site recommended to down load sp6/allsp6.
    to no avail won't let me, it says I do not have windows NT 4.0 to start with
    so now what ??

    > thank you, I have a new computer with windows xp and just can not get this
    cd
    > to load and I went to the site recommended to down load sp6/allsp6.
    > to no avail won't let me, it says I do not have windows NT 4.0 to start
    with
    > so now what ??

    Unfortunately one of the very few things you can do is to contact the
    developer of that program for an upate or patch or workaround that fixes the
    installer problem.

    You can not install NT4 SP6 on an XP system.

    The problem is specifically with the installer for the program you are
    trying to load, and that is what you must try to get a fix for, not XP.

    If you can tell us what the program in question is, other options may become
    apparent....

    HTH
    -pk

    > "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
    >
    > > "hannamo" <maryannaperry@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > > Just what is Windows NT service pack 6 I can not load a program
    because it
    > > > say I don't have this
    > >
    > > I remember this kind of problem from way back. It's a defect in the
    > > program's installer, possibly one missed character.
    > >
    > > You need to contact the vendor of that program, because it's written to
    look
    > > for a specific service pack level and not for an "or or greater".
    > >
    > > Program installers try to determine if the system meets the program's
    > > requirements by checking the OS (operating system), the version of the
    > > operating system, and then the service pack level. If the minumum
    > > requirements are not met, the installer will stop.
    > >
    > > So what's probably happening is that the installer is looking for NT,
    and
    > > finding it, but instead of checking for a service pack level of 6 "or
    > > greater", which would be the case for a later version of the OS, like NT
    5
    > > (windows 2000) or 5.1 (XP), it looks for "equal to". It should check
    for
    > > "greater than or equal to". It may also not be checking for the OS
    > > version.
    > >
    > > This is a defect in the installer for that program and indicates that
    the
    > > program is probably at least 6 years old. There may be a fix from the
    > > developer.
    > >
    > > There *may* be a registry change you can make to trick the installer
    into
    > > thinking that there is an SP6 installed, but probably only the author
    will
    > > know.
    > >
    > > HTH
    > > -pk

    When I try to run the cd during installation it says "The office system pack
    cannot be installed on this system because it requires Window NT 4.0 service
    pack 6 or later"
    thaks Hannamo

    hannamo wrote:
    > When I try to run the cd during installation it says "The office
    > system pack cannot be installed on this system because it requires
    > Window NT 4.0 service pack 6 or later"
    > thaks Hannamo

    The program you are trying to install thinks you want to install it on a
    computer with Windows NT operating system. You do not have Windows NT
    operating system, you have Windows XP operating system. Therefore, the
    problem lies with the program you are trying to install. You need to contact
    the people who created the program.

    Thak you, I will do that

    "RA" wrote:

    > hannamo wrote:
    > > When I try to run the cd during installation it says "The office
    > > system pack cannot be installed on this system because it requires
    > > Window NT 4.0 service pack 6 or later"
    > > thaks Hannamo
    >
    > The program you are trying to install thinks you want to install it on a
    > computer with Windows NT operating system. You do not have Windows NT
    > operating system, you have Windows XP operating system. Therefore, the
    > problem lies with the program you are trying to install. You need to contact
    > the people who created the program.

    "hannamo" <maryannaperry@msn.com> wrote in message
    > thank you, I have a new computer with windows xp and just can not get this
    > cd
    > to load and I went to the site recommended to down load sp6/allsp6.
    > to no avail won't let me, it says I do not have windows NT 4.0 to start
    > with
    > so now what ??

    You have Windows NT 5.1.
    Jim