Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Stability issues

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
December 24, 2009 7:43:54 PM

I cant seem to get this machine stable, hoping you guys have an idea

Asus P5QL-E and Q8200, ram is OCZ 8500 4gb out of another machine, I know the ram is good. It belongs in an E8500 running at 4.0

This machine keeps freezing momentarily. Mouse always works but programs wont load, sound stops, programs freeze but only for a few seconds.
Seems to run better with an fsb of 375 and ram at 5 5 5 15. Just got the mobo from Newegg the CPU is out of an Acer that had a bad Mobo.

graphic card is a nvidia 9400

Im lost, no matter what I tried the lag, freeze or hang is present


More about : stability issues

a c 197 K Overclocking
December 24, 2009 9:31:51 PM

the Q8000 CPU's are poor overclockers.
m
0
l
December 24, 2009 10:18:47 PM

It is unstable when it not overclocked.
I'm not worried about overclocking just want it stable
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2009 11:32:49 PM

Doesnt sound like stability, sounds like something is up with your HDD.

Maybe try a reinstall of windows... see if that helps.

Was it a clean install once you put the new CPU in?
m
0
l
December 25, 2009 3:55:06 AM

interesting idea
The install is a few weeks old. Windows 7 was installed on a P5ND2 and a Pentium 4.
Surprisingly, I replaced the CPU, Ram, Mobo, Graphics card and windows still booted. I didnt even have to reactivate.

Think I should replace the HD or a simply reformat?

m
0
l
December 25, 2009 5:54:21 AM

I just finished installing XP on the same HD. I reformated and partitioned the drive. Computer is actually running rather well.

Overclocked to 2.6, need better cooling before I try to go any higher

So, was the issue not running a clean install of windows 7 or was it just windows 7 and this hardware? Not sure if I want to upgrade to 7.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2009 7:32:02 AM

with a mobo swop its always best to do a clean o.s. install
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2009 6:14:05 PM

The issue was the old OS with old motherboard drivers corrupting the system. I never can understand why you would not want a fresh install with a brand new motherboard and d adifferent chipset.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2009 9:25:05 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
The issue was the old OS with old motherboard drivers corrupting the system. I never can understand why you would not want a fresh install with a brand new motherboard and d adifferent chipset.


im always pretty lazy myself..... i can see it.

It is really confusing though when you don't know the symptoms of a needed OS re-install. [:lectrocrew:6]
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2009 9:27:31 PM

frenchsquared said:
I just finished installing XP on the same HD. I reformated and partitioned the drive. Computer is actually running rather well.

Overclocked to 2.6, need better cooling before I try to go any higher

So, was the issue not running a clean install of windows 7 or was it just windows 7 and this hardware? Not sure if I want to upgrade to 7.


The problem was most likely that you didn't do a clean OS install. If it is actually a problem with windows 7, then it is probably just a power saving feature that is enabled that isnt compatible with the hardware. [:lectrocrew:2]
m
0
l
December 26, 2009 4:00:03 AM

overshocked said:
The problem was most likely that you didn't do a clean OS install. If it is actually a problem with windows 7, then it is probably just a power saving feature that is enabled that isnt compatible with the hardware. [:lectrocrew:2]


I was thinking it was a registry setting dealing with the number of cores or L2 cache, but I think you may be right with the different version of power saving the CPU's may have been jumping in and out of power saving mode like crazy. Sort of a race condition where the system is locking up temporarily? I almost would have liked to see it in person.... I would have ran Task Manager to see what was happening when it was freezing (since it was not actually crashing this is the one time it might have provided some hard evidence lol)

At any rate its good that a fresh install fixed the issue :)  I always love a happy ending lol
m
0
l
!