i have gigs of important material ill be placing on my new HD

a b G Storage
February 22, 2010 11:56:19 PM

WD 1TB CAVIAR BLACK 32MB
February 23, 2010 12:55:38 AM

Am just thinking the same kinda thing atm

Check out This Toms Review

It includes figures for both drives.

I rather like the Samsungs 150MBs sequential reads and writes it can achieve + its low power usage is a factor for me.

F3 Thrashes the Black in Xfer speeds and IOmeter streaming throughput tests
WD 1TB BLACK beats the F3 in IOs a sec
F3 falls a little behind the Black overall in PCMark Vantage tests.

Other main figures:

F3 1TB £65 or $100 (£55 or $85 on Special):
Warranty 3 Years
PCMark Vantage Overall 5193
IOMeter Streaming Reads benchmark pattern 142.4
IOMeter Streaming Writes benchmark pattern 142.1
Surface Temp 41c
dB(A) idle 44.6
dB(A) DB IOs 49.6
Idle PWR Consumption 4.9watts
WorkStation IO PWR Consumption 6.7watts

WD 1TB £77 or $120:
Warranty 5 Years
IOMeter Streaming Reads benchmark pattern 102.6
IOMeter Streaming Writes benchmark pattern 102.6
PCMark Vantage Overall 5564
Surface Temp 43c
dB(A) idle 46.7
dB(A) DB IOs 52.6
Idle PWR Consumption 6.5watts
WorkStation IO PWR Consumption 8.9watts

WD Black 2TB £230 or $356:
Warranty 5 Years
IOMeter Streaming Reads benchmark pattern 137.2
IOMeter Streaming Writes benchmark pattern 137.2
PCMark Vantage Overall 6732
Surface Temp 46c
dB(A) idle 39
dB(A) DB IOs 53.4
Idle PWR Consumption 6.4watts
WorkStation IO PWR Consumption 11.3watts

WD RE4 2TB £220 or $340:
Warranty 5 Years
IOMeter Streaming Reads benchmark pattern 137.7
IOMeter Streaming Writes benchmark pattern 137.5
PCMark Vantage Overall 6896
Surface Temp 46c
dB(A) idle 49.3
dB(A) DB IOs 55.1
Idle PWR Consumption 6.4watts
WorkStation IO PWR Consumption 11.5watts

was surprised the WD RE4 2TB was cheaper than the Black 2TB

Shame all the drives are a bit noisy

sorry, got kinda carried away there.

The 2TB WD's are Crazy too much $
so leaning towards the F3 with its price :) 

The Seagate 2TB is only £127 $196 - maybe have a look at some of the other drives there too am outa time to decide today - must work to play.

Trying to make up my mind too LOL
Related resources
a c 105 G Storage
February 23, 2010 1:50:20 AM

Check out the performance charts and pick whatever 500 GB per platter drive performs best under your usage patterns. The WD Black 2 TB is a good choice but at smaller capacities, you are limited to the Seagate 7200.12 or the Spinpoint F3. The 7200.12 excels in gaming, multimedia and pictures whereas the F3 wins at music and movie maker. See the comparisons here (copy past link in manually, link won't work in forum):

(http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...[2371]=on&prod[2770]=on)
February 23, 2010 5:59:50 AM

I have no idea on how good Samsung F3 is, but DO stay away from the crap Seagate.

WD has one of the best reputation in HDD industry and 5-year warranty on the BLACK and so I would grab the BLACK if I were you.

BTW, BLACK has faster access time according to TOM and so apps/games will load faster with it.
February 23, 2010 6:16:40 AM

sorry, but i can't belive the thread has even got this far.

the spinpoint F3 is generally accepted as one of the best HDDs on the market (behind only super high end stuff like raptors). the have the best reviews and the best sales.

the caviar black is average at best.

the F3 is without a doubt the better drive.
February 23, 2010 3:12:11 PM

I usually buy either WD or Seagate drives, but have bought Samsung as well. All have been good. So what's the determining factor among these when I need a drive? Price. If I see one from these companies that's on sale or otherwise cheaper I buy it. In this case, the Samsung is the cheapest, so I'd buy that, be happy, and not think about it further.
February 23, 2010 6:52:42 PM

Don't get too caught up with synthetic tests and figures and the biased opinions of others. I can guarantee you that from a real-time user experience, nobody can tell the difference between any of the drives you listed, I don't care how much anyone insists otherwise! If the samsung is cheaper and is more power efficient than I suppose that's the one you should go with. Other than that, it boils down to brand loyalty and subjectivity. Like sailer stated above, when you have to choose between good, good and good, then all options are good - so let the price settle the indecisiveness!
February 23, 2010 7:18:14 PM

Seagate? More like Seafate.

...I'm just jaded from their enterprise level HDD's.
(Which may be unfair, but 3 out of 5 failed within 2 years. Heartbreaking)
February 23, 2010 7:31:33 PM

cscott_it said:
Seagate? More like Seafate.

...I'm just jaded from their enterprise level HDD's.
(Which may be unfair, but 3 out of 5 failed within 2 years. Heartbreaking)

Perhaps unlucky, or perhaps a victim of some of the recent Seagate troubles which have since been solved. On the other hand, I've only had one Seagate drive fail in the last 20 years and it was DOA. I have had hard drive failures from WD, Samsung, and a few others, but they have been rare for the most part. Only Maxtor failed often enough to earn my wrath.
February 27, 2010 12:06:54 AM

Nope.. Seagate trouble is still there...

I'll go for Western Digital, lots of failures for Samsung Spinpoints here in our country...

(just because we have lots of computers here in our city, Manila Philippines because of BPO companies, most companies are now switching either Toshiba or Western Digital)
February 27, 2010 12:50:59 AM

Sorry to hear that about the Seagates. The last two Seagates I've bought have worked without a hitch. The previous "bricking" problem was supposedly solved the last I heard, with the new drives having a software fix and the older drives getting RMA'ed and replaced with new ones.

My Samsung has been going 24/7 for months now. No trouble yet. Of course, I know that's no guarantee of what will happen tomorrow. But as of yet, no troubles are apparent.
!