Your question

CPU with heat sink attached

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heat
  • Computers
Last response: in CPUs
December 9, 2008 11:57:59 PM

I was cleaning the dust out of my computer and saw a huge chunk of dust/hair leading under the heat sink, unable to get it all out i decided to take off the heat sink not knowing the CPU was attached to it. So after cleaning out all the junk i was trying to put the CPU/heatsink back in and ended up being some of the pins. I know have all the pins fixed but im unable to get CPU back in. well i did at one point but my computer didnt boot so i guess the pins where not in properly. Does anyone have any tips on getting it back in working properly?

here is what my heatsink looks like

and the CPU is attached to the bottom.

More about : cpu heat sink attached

December 10, 2008 2:29:54 AM

hmmm... i would take the cpu off the heatsink and posistion it carefully, there is only one way the cpu can be put in with out force (if all the pins are still there and not bent), rotate it 90 degrees untill you fint the correct way round. if stilll doesnt work then its time for a new cpu, or maybe motherboard.

December 10, 2008 2:33:37 AM

(put the heatsink back on before powering up)
Related resources
December 10, 2008 2:45:20 AM

how exactly would i separate the 2? Also would i need to apply some thermal compound or could I just sit the heat sink on top. I do plan on getting a new computer by the end of the year i would just like to get this computer back running so i could get my daily does of WoW and get all music/movies off the HDD.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 3:04:19 AM

You would need thermal compound between them. It's definitely a good idea to separate them though.
December 10, 2008 3:51:41 AM

to seperate them grab the cpu/cooler and twist them (carefully) like your trying to seperate the 2 halfs a cream filled bisquit.

if its stuck too hard then i would maybe use a knife (if there is no plastic equivelant to hand). try not to be too rough if using a steel knife against the aluminium cpu cooler because the smoother the surface the better it will cool.

as cjl said, you will need to re-apply thermal paste, youtube is the best place to look for a tutorial really
December 10, 2008 4:23:36 AM

^i disagree. all those tutorials spread paste with a credit card :non: 
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 4:25:04 AM

V3NOM said:
^i disagree. all those tutorials spread paste with a credit card :non: 

lol and whats wrong with that? i put my thermal paste on with my old library card and it works fine.
December 10, 2008 4:58:57 AM

genith said:
how exactly would i separate the 2? Also would i need to apply some thermal compound or could I just sit the heat sink on top. I do plan on getting a new computer by the end of the year i would just like to get this computer back running so i could get my daily does of WoW and get all music/movies off the HDD.

I had the same problem when I pulled out my heatsink. The problem was I did it cold and the heatsink and cpu were practically cemented together. In my case, my computer wouldn't even turn on so I couldn't get it warm even if I tried.

Anyways, what you should do is use a blow dryer and point it directly at the heatsink, it should take a few minutes before it gets hot enough and then you should be able to pull them apart with a little bit of force. But make sure it does gets hot enough so the thermal paste between can soften up.

Hope this helps
December 10, 2008 5:12:07 AM

werxen said:
lol and whats wrong with that? i put my thermal paste on with my old library card and it works fine.

It reduces the amount of metal contact. If you have an HDT cooler, put three thin lines down each of the pipes, they are what do the work. You don't want a slab of TIM as it has much higher thermal resistance than metal. on other coolers, a blob in the middle or a couple of blobs will be spread out by the weight, heat, and pushed into only the microscopic valleys that need it. if you take off the heatsink you can then observe where any large valleys will be. those two ways are much better than coating all the metal in TIM IMHO.
December 10, 2008 6:20:34 AM

Erm - you have opened up the lever on the CPU socket? Because if the cpu came out by accident chances are you havent opened the socket up...

Youve got no chance of getting the cpu back in till then...

Id suggest taking the heatsink off the cpu - gentle twisting back and forth motion holding the sink and two corners of the cpu till it comes off...

Then use rubbing alcohol to clean the cpu and heatsink then apply some arctic silver (the last time i used some - it came with a template and spreader to apply the paste)

Open up the lever on the side of the cpu socket

Put the CPU back in making sure it seats completely flat and flush with the socket before closing the lever

then remount your heatsink.
December 10, 2008 2:27:54 PM

Thanks for all the help, I will be trying to remove the heat sink as soon as I buy some thermal compound. Also would it be a bad idea if power on my computer for a few seconds without the heat sink on after I put in the CPU to see that it is in and working properly?
December 10, 2008 8:43:45 PM

i think powering up with out the heatsink is a bad idea
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 9:07:14 PM

Agreed - you can fry the CPU amazingly fast with no heatsink.
December 16, 2011 8:55:49 AM

Thanks guys...Heating the Heatsink works.. no doubt... but make sure you heat the blower or a dryer from the heatsink, not to the processor....
!