Should i overclock?

yus_29

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
this is my rig

Mainboard : Gigabyte VM900M
Chipset : VIA P4M900
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 2666 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5750
Hard Disk : WDC (320 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD-ROM DDU1642 ATA Device
CD-Rom Drive : HUAWEI Mass Storage USB Device
Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 17 inches
Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate Professional 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 10.00
Windows Performance Index : 5.5(the lowest rating is my cpu)
PSU : GIGABYTE SuperB 720W

my cpu gets the lowest rating on my window experience index but i got no problems on gaming, i can play any latest games with high resolution regarding to my screen size its 1280 x 1024 and ultra high graphic settings. so, should i overclock my cpu? if so, how do i do to overclock? could someone gives the detail procedure bcoz i know nothing about overclock. i have tried to look at the bios setting but i don't find the option to overclock. i have downloaded Easy tune software from gigabyte that allows me to overclock at the windows. there are fsb clock which is 266mhz x 10 is default and i can adjusting it to other amount-max 355mhz. can i use this software?

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
To overclock, or not to overclock is really your decision. If you think you could use the extra performance in games, than go for it.

But, if you do decide to do it nobody here is willing to write an entire guide just for the purpose of you. Search the internet and there are tons of great guides. There is even one stickied at the top of this section

#3, windows expierience index is a joke. Use more popular software like 3dmark06 or vantage.

#4. Software that you use in windows such as "easy tune" doesnt work very well. It is much better to overclock in the bios, you will get a much higher overclock and it will be more stable.

~Hope that helps

rapture7

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Only overclock if you are prepared to do some research, read some guides, and do it the proper way, through the bios. As overshocked said, stay away from auto-overclocking programs. Every chip is different, and they have a habit of setting the voltages much higher than may be required, which results in high temperatures. If you decide to overclock, then good luck, and enjoy the free performance boost!

I wouldn't call it "free". You need better cooling, better memory, a better (more overclockable) motherboard. And all that does not include the time spent tinkering and working out the best setting.