Zalman CNPS9900 Preview

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Its smaller than the 9700, and has less..."cooling area". Dosent look efficient at all, also its just a "copy" of the Thermaltake V1.

I expected just a tad bit more originality, creativity, less gimicks, and a larger cooler from then considering its been damn years since their last cooler.

From their site...."CNPS9900 LED outperforms over 5 degrees than its predecessor CNPS9700 series and its innovative heatpipe structure will lead to next generation of the cooling......" 5c, ok not impressive, and they claim....."outperforms all other air-cooled CPU coolers as well as some internal water-cooling systems..." LOL. Right, so not only does the CNPS9700 beat the Xiggy S1283/CoreContact/TRUE according to them (since these coolers handily beat the CNPS9700 in test), but this new cooler beats some internal water solutions? Maybe a CPU, GPU, chipset and mosfet blocks all running with a single fan rad on a 790i.

Not only is this cooler just as "innovative" as the already long pre-existing Thermaltake V1 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102 ), but this is the best they could come up with after a 2 year layoff? Their last high end cooler was the CNPS9700 which came out in December of 2006. I used to be a Zalman fan owning several products in the past, but I gotta be harsh with this.

aju12

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Yeah you are right, but this one has 120mm fan so the performance is guaranteed to be better than 9700 which has 110mm fan. I think now the it's a fair fight with TRUE and other coolers you mentioned as they are all coolers designed for 120mm fan. Need a reliable review to confirm though.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
i always went with this saying:
if it aint broke, dont fix it. zalman scored a win with their old heatsink designs and im happy they are keeping it the same. they work great for me and great for others. however, one heatsink i would love to try is the tuniq tower. i hope they make that for the new i7 socket types. mmmmm.... tuniq tower...

IDK. It looks nice to me. Nice idea for the heat pipes.

But I want to see a DTH (?) one.

But hey 5c is actually a nice drop. That would mean my Q6600 @ 3GHz would run at 47-50c instead. Which would be nice during the summer.... in the AZ Desert....

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

yea i liked the design as well tho im not sure about the heat pipes really. what heat sink are you running right now? i hear great things about the Tuniq tower and quad cores if you have the room for it.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
genious design, much like the idea of HDT (what if they made a HDT "figure 8" designed cooler :O), but simply not enough fin surface area. no, just no.

nice polished base though :D save you a bit on sandpaper...

That under load with a Zalman 9700. And thats a Prime95 load too.

The Zalman 9700 is pretty good for a quad core. Keeps it at 32c idle and even less during winter, now, when its pretty cold.