J Coffey

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Vista Ultimate (64 bit)
P5B Deluxe
Nvidia 8800gtx
Core 2 quad q6600
6 gigs of 800mhz ram

When vista starts up it uses about 2gbs of ram, then it settles down to a bit more than 1.5gbs and never goes below that. All my processes in the task manager add up to about 400mbs of ram being used by all my applications and system processes. This is what it's saying now as I write this. Is there anyway I can cut down on that ram being used on what seems to be nothing? I don't know all to much about power supply's but I would assume that that much ram being used constantly would drain quite a bit of power when I'm not using the computer.

As I understand it, Vista pre-loads information on your most commonly used programs into RAM in order to load them faster. Theres a way to cut down how much space is taken up, but i don't know how off hand...

The amount of energy being used to maintain the information stored in your RAM is perhaps at most 10W.... probably far less.

The largest drain will not be your computer so much as your PSU. Having one that is efficient while in the 150-200W range will ensure the biggest savings at idle.

Personally, I prefer good efficiency all across the range.

Now, in "standby" or sleep mode, your computer will only pull 10-20W total. The only part of the PSU that is active at that time is the +5VSB.