My WinXP System Restore has in the past 2 years been an excellent recovery
feature_ until today. I have accumulated several Restore points. Today I
tried to select one (to recover some settings), and none of them worked.
The only thing I can think of is that yesterday Windows Update installed
some security updates. It doesn't seem that these could cause System
Restore to fail.

Someone help on this one.
--
Sincerely,
Jack Nation

Jack Nation wrote:
> My WinXP System Restore has in the past 2 years been an excellent recovery
> feature_ until today. I have accumulated several Restore points. Today I
> tried to select one (to recover some settings), and none of them worked.
> The only thing I can think of is that yesterday Windows Update installed
> some security updates. It doesn't seem that these could cause System
> Restore to fail.
>
> Someone help on this one.

System restore is notorious for becoming corrupt. At this point the only
thing you ca do is turn off System restore, reboot and turn it back on. You
will lose all of your past restore points, but as you found they are
useless now anyway.

gls858

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title “Source” at the top of the source name column in the right pane to
sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the
upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the
information for each of the two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Jack Nation wrote:
> My WinXP System Restore has in the past 2 years been an
> excellent recovery feature_ until today. I have
> accumulated several Restore points. Today I tried to
> select one (to recover some settings), and none of them
> worked. The only thing I can think of is that yesterday
> Windows Update installed some security updates. It
> doesn't seem that these could cause System Restore to
> fail.
> Someone help on this one.

Latest posts