Sign in with
Your question

New gaming rig. Core i7 or Core 2 Quad?

Last response: in CPUs
December 10, 2008 5:27:15 AM

OK, here's the deal, I'm upgrading my rig after years of being stuck with an old Athlon XP and a 6800GT and I want good gaming performance for a change. Don't do anything else much that is processor demanding like video conversion or whatever. I should mention that I'm a pensioner and money is tight.

With about $AUS1800 to spend (which I have), I can get a Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 gig CPU, 4 gig decent ram, and a GTX 260 graphics card, along with 750 gig SATA HD and a new 2ms 22" widescreen monitor. Decent case etc. (I already have XP pro).

To go for a Core i7 however stretches past that to $AUS2,200 for a Core i7 920, 6 gig of ram, Vista home premium 64 bit, 500 gig HD, Asus 9800GTX card. and no monitor (I have an old 19" pro Philips CRT which was a good monitor, but getting very long in the tooth).

You can see it's two different paradigms......

Older gen cpu, slower for some stuff, but maybe not slower for gaming, matched to fast current gen graphics card.....versus new gen CPU with older graphics card and no monitor, plus the Core i7 system is stretching the finances to the max.

What's the best choice? Which would be the faster system or indeed would there be little difference?

a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 5:46:41 AM

Ditch XP for vista x64, and atm it seems the Core 2 Quads are better value - overclocked to ~3.6 on air etc and go for 8gb if you can - well worth it! Unless you have excess $$$ :D 

From what i have seen your prolly better with something like this:

Intel Core 2 Quad (whatever model fits your budget)
Gigabyte/ASUS Intel P45 based motherboard (dont touch any other brands eg MSI - rubbish)
Ram - kingston's basic stuff is great at the right price etc but for overclocking try getting 800 or above rated.
Video card - ATi 4870 (or yes the nvidia GTX260 etc)
HDD - Seagate/Western Digital (not the efficent ones)
Proper BRANDED PSU (corsair, acbell etc 650w+)
Case - your choice etc
Vista whatever x64
December 10, 2008 5:52:56 AM

Son_of_Blob said:
OK, here's the deal, I'm upgrading my rig after years of being stuck with an old Athlon XP and a 6800GT and I want good gaming performance for a change. Don't do anything else much that is processor demanding like video conversion or whatever. I should mention that I'm a pensioner and money is tight.

With about $AUS1800 to spend (which I have), I can get a Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 gig CPU, 4 gig decent ram, and a GTX 260 graphics card, along with 750 gig SATA HD and a new 2ms 22" widescreen monitor. Decent case etc. (I already have XP pro).

To go for a Core i7 however stretches past that to $AUS2,200 for a Core i7 920, 6 gig of ram, Vista home premium 64 bit, 500 gig HD, Asus 9800GTX card. and no monitor (I have an old 19" pro Philips CRT which was a good monitor, but getting very long in the tooth).

You can see it's two different paradigms......

Older gen cpu, slower for some stuff, but maybe not slower for gaming, matched to fast current gen graphics card.....versus new gen CPU with older graphics card and no monitor, plus the Core i7 system is stretching the finances to the max.

What's the best choice? Which would be the faster system or indeed would there be little difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivx0XYMCZJw

Oh sure you can over clock a Q6600 Multi Chip Module.
Overclocking makes the chip run hotter, shortens its life and requires a more expensive cooling solution then the default.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi4yxKNWehU

Save your money. It's the smartest thing to do.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2008 6:00:22 AM

I vote for the core2 Quad setup as well. You will notice a big leap in performance over what you have. No overclocking truly needed. The i7, as far as gaming goes, right now, have absolutely no extra benefit.... besides, you'll save tons of money so you can take out some of those old retired broads. Woohoo........
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2008 6:00:33 AM

As long as you keep the stock voltages your temps won't go very high. (this will limits most q6600s to about 3.0 ghz) Also who the heck uses the stock cooler anyway? You don't need a 80 dollar cooler for moderate overclocks.

Go core 2. There is little to no difference in performance in entry lvl to mid lvl gaming rigs. Also if you willing to spend 2200, go with a core 2 build, 8GB of ram and a nice 24 inch monitor...and vista x64.
December 10, 2008 7:52:05 AM

Go for the Core 2 Quad.

I just upgraded from a 2.25ghz AMD X2 / 7600gt / 1.5gb RAM / 17"CRT -to a 3.325ghz Q8200 / 9800gtx / 8gb RAM / 22" LCD and I'm mad at myself for not doing it earlier (though my wallet is thanking Microsoft for the 30% off Ebay deal).
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 7:56:26 AM

don't get either. save your money wait till its mainstream to run 64bit and quads are native to applications then make the switch. by then quads will be cheap as all hell and ddr3 wont be so expensive. get a cheap dual and overclock the funk outta it.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 8:00:24 AM

Go core 2 and spend more on the graphics.

+1 Vista64. My biggest regret was going 32. Next reformat will definitely be 64.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 8:32:51 AM

werxen said:
don't get either. save your money wait till its mainstream to run 64bit and quads are native to applications then make the switch. by then quads will be cheap as all hell and ddr3 wont be so expensive. get a cheap dual and overclock the funk outta it.

Ummmm BS Noob, 64-bit benifits (aka more memory support eg 4+gb) everything these days especially vista and dual cores are out - check out GTA IV PC benchmarks and see what the future holds - no dual core can outpace a quad now, those days are OVER.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 8:34:36 AM

mi1ez said:
Go core 2 and spend more on the graphics.

+1 Vista64. My biggest regret was going 32. Next reformat will definitely be 64.

Totally agree there, Vista x86 isnt worth i, x64 is a monster when you feed it 4-8gb of memory, never ever going back or even near XP ever again - makes it seem like a dinosaur :D 
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 8:40:21 AM

enigma067 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivx0XYMCZJw

Oh sure you can over clock a Q6600 Multi Chip Module.
Overclocking makes the chip run hotter, shortens its life and requires a more expensive cooling solution then the default.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi4yxKNWehU

Save your money. It's the smartest thing to do.

LMAO goto the top link its the same comment he made copied & pasted, then getting smashed by everyone else posting, friggin TROLL

BS shortening the life span - more chances of the motherboard and its hundreds of resistors/capacitors etc going up, or a surge killing my system, or the risk of upgrading in two years or less anyhow - besides, NEVER killed an Intel by overclocking at all - stay within reason (heat and vcore) and nothing bad will ever happen ;) 

Id like to see how many people have had any luck actually killing desktop CPU's by overclocking and a slightly raised vcore - i doubt you will find many.
December 10, 2008 9:11:25 AM

Wait for Phenom II
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 10:10:06 AM

jamesgoddard said:
Wait for Phenom II

Initial performance figures from the server dont seem too promising - its more like a more power efficient, higher clocking chip thanks to 45nm tech, other then that there still essentially a Phenom - no real guts to make an uber system, unless there released at 4+ghz which i doubt.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 9:31:24 PM

apache_lives said:
Ummmm BS Noob, 64-bit benifits (aka more memory support eg 4+gb) everything these days especially vista and dual cores are out - check out GTA IV PC benchmarks and see what the future holds - no dual core can outpace a quad now, those days are OVER.

rofl... jesus CHRIST. what is it with you quad core fanboys and your GTA 4? every time something like this gets brought up GTA4 is mentioned. STFU about gta4 you noob - it runs like CRAP even with your quad core so you are not proving anything.

oh and btw with your 64 bit whining - i would really love to see you play a simple flash animation on it. oh wait you cant... you have to use a 32 bit browser to even do simple things. :hello: 

don't listen to this noob talking about the 'future' do yourself a REAL favor and stick it out till the phenom 2 comes out and the prices for all quads drop. trust me quads are the future but this really is not the time to buy a computer.

edit: oh and the last time i checked my overclocked E8500 keeps up with your quads in gta4. :( :( :( :( 
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2008 9:43:22 PM

You realize of course that a 32 bit browser runs just fine on Vista64.

Trust me, try 64 bit with tons of RAM, and you will never go back. Even 32 bit programs are helped, as in 32 bit windows, any 32 bit program gets up to 2GB of ram to use, while in 64 with >4GB, any 32 bit program gets up to 4GB.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2008 1:44:36 AM

cjl said:
You realize of course that a 32 bit browser runs just fine on Vista64.

Trust me, try 64 bit with tons of RAM, and you will never go back. Even 32 bit programs are helped, as in 32 bit windows, any 32 bit program gets up to 2GB of ram to use, while in 64 with >4GB, any 32 bit program gets up to 4GB.

yes i know i ran vista 64 bit for a prief period. the point is even major programs and software have not made the leap into 64 bit yet

and IMO its smarter to wait till ddr3 becomes cheaper and use that + cheaper upcoming quad core processor then just jumping the gun and getting anything now. honestly how can you disagree with that? sure it would be nice to have up to 8 gigs ddr2 but i would much rather have 6 or 9 gigs of ddr3 and paid the same.
December 11, 2008 1:54:31 AM

apache_lives said:
Ditch XP for vista x64, and atm it seems the Core 2 Quads are better value - overclocked to ~3.6 on air etc and go for 8gb if you can - well worth it! Unless you have excess $$$ :D 

From what i have seen your prolly better with something like this:

Intel Core 2 Quad (whatever model fits your budget)
Gigabyte/ASUS Intel P45 based motherboard (dont touch any other brands eg MSI - rubbish)
Ram - kingston's basic stuff is great at the right price etc but for overclocking try getting 800 or above rated.
Video card - ATi 4870 (or yes the nvidia GTX260 etc)
HDD - Seagate/Western Digital (not the efficent ones)
Proper BRANDED PSU (corsair, acbell etc 650w+)
Case - your choice etc
Vista whatever x64

YES, wut he said except dont go with kingston, brand dont matter for ram just a good name(cosiar, ocz, muskin etc), get a 2x2gb kit for <$50

also a ? for apache_lives, wuts wrong wit MSI, ive never owned one but im looking into a new mobo an id like to know y u dont like MSI
December 11, 2008 2:08:35 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys. Except I'm more confused now than when I started. LOL

I've been fooling around on a local system builder site, choosing different mobos cpus, gpus etc and can go from about $800 for a basic phenom upgrade to over $2,000 with core i7.

My head is starting to asplode with all the combinations.
I know it's not a great time to get a new rig, which is irritating.

Thing is I'm hanging out for Empire: Total War and the new naval battle capabilities, so I want a rig that will handle that well.

No wonder people are getting sick of this **** and buying consoles. :-(
December 11, 2008 2:14:25 AM

just listen to me and apache_lives and u will have the best budget rid u can get it will have crazy performance
btw u could also get a 4850 instead if u want to save $100, i own a 4850 and i luv it plus u can always crossfire it in the future
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2008 3:27:13 AM

brendin said:
just listen to me and apache_lives and u will have the best budget rid u can get it will have crazy performance
btw u could also get a 4850 instead if u want to save $100, i own a 4850 and i luv it plus u can always crossfire it in the future

:lol:  yeah ok why would he listen to you and apache_lives? you just gave him horrible advice that he will regret in less than 6 months.

listen dude, theres a lot of guys on toms that will advocate their own system specs to compensate for their stupidity. you and i both know this is a really BAD time to build a gaming pc, especially since AMD is coming out with a new processor that does not even have real benchmarks out. just stick it out a little while longer and then you can have reduced costs + more variety in your parts. dont listen to clowns like brendin and apache.
December 11, 2008 3:57:55 AM

HEY im not a clown, were both right, yes it is kinda a bad time to upgrade but im giving him the advice if he wants to right now which will be good for another 1-2 years most likely if not longer
December 11, 2008 4:42:59 AM

Although it's a bad time in some ways....DDR3 is way too dear, as are Core i7 mobos (although the Corei7 920 itself is kinda cheap really, which is ironic) I still need to get some new gear.

My current Asus mobo is AGP for crying out loud, so just getting a new PCI-E board will be a big help. Anyways although CPU prices are high and about to fall and the new Phenoms are coming soon, it's graphic cards that really make the biggest difference in gaming and the ones out now offer good bang for bucks. I'll certainly be blown away going from a 6800GT to a GTX 260 or ATI equivalent.

Also I need a new monitor and prices for widescreens have dropped big time lately.

One thing burns me up though. I have had two Antec PSUs die on me over the years but I'm still using a no name el cheapo that is eight years old and running just fine. Oh, and I have overclocked the hell out of my trusty old AMD Athlon Barton 2500 for years and its still going strong. ;-)

AMD certainly did me proud with that CPU.

a b à CPUs
December 11, 2008 6:56:27 AM

oh the barton... memories ;) 
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2008 7:16:45 AM

thats really not how it works especially when a new processor is due within the next month :pfff: 
December 11, 2008 7:39:18 AM

I didn't realise the Phenom 2 was so close. Also, is there any word on its pin layout? Will new mobos be needed? I know I could Google this and probably will, but I guess I've been so brainwashed lately into thinking AMD have been out moneyed by Intel, though maybe not out brained, also that I have not been following AMD's progress as carefully as I should.

I hope that AMD is not being overcome by Intel's moneyed might. Core i7 shows at least to some degree that AMD are very much on the right path.

Plus we all need decent competition in such a dangerously small field...as in only two players for our market place. :-(

I'm too old to be a fan-boy, but I've always liked AMD and I wish them well.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2008 8:18:37 AM

werxen said:
rofl... jesus CHRIST. what is it with you quad core fanboys and your GTA 4? every time something like this gets brought up GTA4 is mentioned. STFU about gta4 you noob - it runs like CRAP even with your quad core so you are not proving anything.

oh and btw with your 64 bit whining - i would really love to see you play a simple flash animation on it. oh wait you cant... you have to use a 32 bit browser to even do simple things. :hello: 

don't listen to this noob talking about the 'future' do yourself a REAL favor and stick it out till the phenom 2 comes out and the prices for all quads drop. trust me quads are the future but this really is not the time to buy a computer.

edit: oh and the last time i checked my overclocked E8500 keeps up with your quads in gta4. :( :( :( :( 

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21... - i dunno, seems duals are out to me :sarcastic: 

Oh and BTW if you want a 64 bit browser, Vista x64 HAS INTERNET EXPLORER 64 BIT, and besides, why would i want a browser to chew 4+gb of ram, are you even aware what 64 bit is? and what benifits it actually brings?

Whens your Phantom 2 coming out? We have Intels on the market ATM proven etc - better choice for RIGHT NOW.

And BTW been playing GTA IV for like a week now on my Q6600 @ 3.5ghz just fine :D  best game ever.

a b à CPUs
December 11, 2008 8:22:48 AM

werxen said:
yes i know i ran vista 64 bit for a prief period. the point is even major programs and software have not made the leap into 64 bit yet

and IMO its smarter to wait till ddr3 becomes cheaper and use that + cheaper upcoming quad core processor then just jumping the gun and getting anything now. honestly how can you disagree with that? sure it would be nice to have up to 8 gigs ddr2 but i would much rather have 6 or 9 gigs of ddr3 and paid the same.

I dunno, maybe we should wait for Phenon 3? and DDR4, or wait nah DDR6, and 10tb HDD's and 16 core cpus, why bother with todays 8-thread CPUs when you can.. pay the same for more? Idiot
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2008 8:26:53 AM

werxen said:
oh the barton... memories ;) 

You mean the 130nm Athlon XP with a massive (and finally) 512k L2 Cache? the one that was blitz'd by just about all of the C series Pentium 4 "northwood" 's? Even the Intel 2.4c won benchmarks against the 3200+ Barton if i remember correctly? and at the same time hyperthreading added that extra kick and sent us toward a multi-threaded future? :D 

btw its never a "GOOD" time to upgrade, theres forever something new coming out! btw in saying that, theres the mainstream Intel (cheaper i7) Core2 replacement coming out soon - new socket, dual DDR3 IMC, PCIe integrated into the cpu etc - thats more to wait for then a Phantom ;) 
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2008 11:15:44 AM

For your system, you can build an i7 system based around the 2.8 GHz i7 and a 280 (216) GTX or 4870 (1GB). At this point, there is no reason for a new system based on socket 775.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2008 11:21:16 AM

werxen said:

I am running GTA IV at decent settingson a quad core and its been fun. Other people with a dual core can't even try the settings I have without lag.

Now you want a game that utilizes quad cores good, check out L4D. good FPS boost from a quad there, but still runs awesome ona dual or even single core.

OP, do you want a single GPU or CF/SLI? That will make all the difference really. If you want a single GPU a C2Q is great. If you want dual GPUs then a Core i7 will benefit you much more as it is able to feed the GPUs faster than a C2Q can.
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2008 12:09:00 PM

gamerk316 said:
For your system, you can build an i7 system based around the 2.8 GHz i7 and a 280 (216) GTX or 4870 (1GB). At this point, there is no reason for a new system based on socket 775.

Quoted for Truth - Don't waste time/effort/money on outgoing tech during a new build.

Regarding 64 bit computing: Your CPU doesn't care: An X86-64 binary is an X86-64 binary is an X86-64 binary. And processors have been made for that since 2003 (AMD Operton), and 2004 (Intel - Prescott). If you're running something older than that, then indeed you are stuck. Though I would opine that something that old is no longer suitable for serious use anyhow. Regardless - Any processor newer than that will not have an issue.

So it comes down to whether or not the code was written to the appropriate (Windows, etc) API. If so, then it will run.

For the OP - I see you're intending to go with 4~6GB of memory. This being the case, I strongly urge you to do a little research into 32bit addressing limitations. You will find that in a best case scenario, while running a 32 bit OS you will have no more than about 3.2GB of memory available for actual usage.
December 12, 2008 3:56:53 AM

Well the answer came to me today, as the brain fog cleared. It was simple really. Ditch the nVidia GPU, Vista 64 bit and six gig RAM for now and use my XP Pro and only 2 gig of RAM with a Core i7 set-up and an ATI card on a crossfire enabled Gigabyte mobo.

Here's what I ordered, all within budget. Got a great deal on the ATI card.

Core i7 920 CPU
Gigabyte GA-X58-DS4 mobo
2 gig DDR3 1366 RAM (more later when I can afford it and Vista 64)
500gig HD WD
ATI 4870 1 gig graphics card
650 watt Antec PSU
I'll re-use my old case.
Benq 22" 1980*1080 monitor.

$AUS1,843
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2008 5:03:52 PM

apache_lives said:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21... - i dunno, seems duals are out to me :sarcastic: 

Oh and BTW if you want a 64 bit browser, Vista x64 HAS INTERNET EXPLORER 64 BIT, and besides, why would i want a browser to chew 4+gb of ram, are you even aware what 64 bit is? and what benifits it actually brings?

Whens your Phantom 2 coming out? We have Intels on the market ATM proven etc - better choice for RIGHT NOW.

And BTW been playing GTA IV for like a week now on my Q6600 @ 3.5ghz just fine :D  best game ever.

first off you need to learn to post all your BS into one post not one after the other.

second off why the hell would you even say vista has a 64 bit IE. you don't think i was aware of this? are you so dumb to not even understand i said simple programs like flash are not 64 bit compliant yet? i honestly don't think English is your first language bro cuz you misinterpret everything to back up your failed logic. as far as the 4+ gigs of ram you missed the whole point of ddr2 vs. ddr3 didn't you?

basically i just want to say this: you are nothing but a fan boy with no real knowledge. you want people to jump the gun and waste money right now on parts they dont need. you get a 10 fps difference even with your link, using the most expensive processor out vs. a $170 dual core. WOW. i really want to spend $600+ so i can get 10 FPS difference in GTA4 - the dumbest game of the decade. way to back up your stupidity apache. its ok though. i will wait another 6-12 months and then get a corei7 for CHEAP with CHEAP ddr3 ram while you slam your head against the wall wondering why you didnt wait either. god you are so full of fail apache.
April 28, 2009 3:30:36 AM

I HAVE RECENTLY DONE SOME MASSIVE RESEARCH: ( this is all in USA dollars)

I will give you my 2 options: one is an intel and nvidia graphics pc gaming build, very good, and one is an AMD and ATI graphics gaming build. the AMD/ATI is a better value, and in my opinion, better graphics. keep in mind, since the ati/amd build i use is cheaper, i was able to stock it with more RAM and a faster cpu, quad core instead of dual core.

ALL THESE ITEMS I WILL LIST NEED TO BE BOUGHT FROM WWW.NEWEGG.COM. you will need to build the computer yourself, which is really pretty easy, after you watch a few youtube videos on "how to build a computer".

lets go?

now, first, the amd build. (my personal favorite.)

CPU (motherboard combo): (below) AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor

($275- combo cpu and mobo)

MOTHERBOARD(combo cpu): (above) GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM: (2x$45) (2 sets) G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

MONITOR: ($230) LG W2353V-PF Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000:1 w/ Smart Package

OS: ($100) Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders

CASE/FANS: ($50) COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HARD DRIVE: ($60) Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

CD-DRIVE: ($20) LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

CPU COOLING: ($35) Rosewill RCX-Z5 92mm Two Ball Bearing / FDBB CPU Cooler

KEYBOARD/MOUSE: ($85) Logitech 920-000264 Black 104 Normal Keys 14 Function Keys USB Cordless Ergonomics Desktop Wave

VIDEO CARD: ($265) SAPPHIRE 100269OCSR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - OC edition

POWER SUPPLY: ($70) KINGWIN ABT-730MM 730W ATX / BTX SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

$1280 total.

NOW, THE INTEL BUILD.

CPU/COOLING: (212) Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor /// ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

HARD DRIVE: (60) Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

CD-DRIVE: (20) LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

MONITOR: (230) LG W2353V-PF Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000:1 w/ Smart Package

MOTHERBOARD: (165) EVGA 132-CK-NF78-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: (46) OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
Kit Desktop Memory

CASE/FANS: (150) COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

VIDEO CARD: (300) EVGA 896-P3-1173-AR GeForce GTX 275 FTW Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Video Card
OS: (100) Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders

POWER SUPPLY: (70) KINGWIN ABT-730MM 730W ATX / BTX SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

KEYBOARD/MOUSE: (85) Logitech 920-000264 Black 104 Normal Keys 14 Function Keys USB Cordless Ergonomics Desktop Wave

$1438 total.

now, you do get a SLIGHTLY, very slight difference in GPU, (video cards), the intel build has a better video card, but a SLIGHTLY slower processor, and less ram, at a slower MHz rate. note, this is EVERY SINGLE THING you will need to build a computer, EVERYTHING. building your own gaming computer is totally more worth it, and is becoming increasingly popular, so i really suggest you build your gaming computer this way, and sell your old crayola crayon computer :) 

i am currently using the AMD build, and "oh my god..."
it is simply amazing. my friend did the intel build, and that is slightly slowe in some games, and slightly faster in other games.

i personally like the amd build, because i have always been an AMD and ATI fan, just cuz they have had to catch up to intel all these years :) 

good luck, and hope this helps. each build took me a few days to think about, and they are very expertly equipped builds, for their cost. these are extremely cheap for their components, as i see ALIENWARE computers that are almost as fast as these, with DUAL CORES, and they are in the 1700-2700 dollar range. unbelievable savings here, and NEWEGG.COM is a very trusted site, and proven the lowest prices on retail items of computer components. good luck.
April 28, 2009 4:20:53 AM

Sorry dude, but the last post b4 yours was in 12-12-2008...

Btw the Supply & Demand is different in AUS, so you can't really compare US prices even online to AUS prices...sorry, but it's nice you were willing to do all this work.
April 28, 2009 4:51:00 AM

that system is a bit over priced id say at least $400 AU over priced

Core i7 920 CPU
Gigabyte GA-X58-DS4 mobo
2 gig DDR3 1366 RAM (more later when I can afford it and Vista 64)
500gig HD WD
ATI 4870 1 gig graphics card
650 watt Antec PSU
I'll re-use my old case.
Benq 22" 1980*1080 monitor.

$AUS1,843 could of gotten for 1.4k AU
!