New box advice / General PSU advice

zaserov

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Hey everybody,
Well, I'm looking at building a new system, and I've been able to see reviews/comparisons here and elsewhere, but it leaves one major question for me - how does one choose a power supply? About the only advice I've seen is 'Make sure there are enough connectors, of the correct voltage/amperage, and that you have enough wattage overall.' Thing is, I don't know where you find out what you need.

Right, and while I'm here, I figured I'd put my current selections up to see what others think. And also, that way anyone who has a specific suggestion for a PSU can let me know. Links go to newegg, as that seems to be the custom.

COOLER MASTER Centurion 590
Phenom 9950 Black Edition
2x2 GB G.Skill DDR2 800
MSI K9A2 Platinum
MSI HD 4850

Some rationale (feel free to skip): Some choices are made to reduce cost (4850 vs 4870), and some are made because newegg is packaging them. I figure this system is pretty good on its own, and also allows plenty of space in case I feel the need to upgrade. Specifically, when the 4870 comes down in price I can try out this whole crossfire thing. Also, got the MSI version of the card because of the heating solution, which seems to be the biggest complaint about some of the other makers (and also see sentence #1).

Right, think that's it. Thanks to all of you with knowledge who look at all of these almost identical posts.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Official recommended would be a good place to start. Either Corsair/Antec is a good brand.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd4800/requirements.html

That quote is for crossfiring HD 4870s since that's your plan. 650W would more than suffice.

zaserov

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Thanks for the advice.

I now have a new question - the above Corsair has a single +12V connector, which the description makes a big deal out of. If that's the best option, though, it seems it would also be the simplest to manufacture, so why is it not the norm?

Also, if anyone has more generic advice on the build overall, that would be welcome as well.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
There are HUGE misconceptions between multiple and single rail PSUs. Single rail is the easiest cause it gives one rail of power, dont need to worry about split amps etc. Multiple rails split the power so that one wont overheat and cause a meltdown basically. If one is overloaded the whole thing shuts down (safety protection basically).

But in most cases many "multiple rail" PSUs are single rail that the manufacturer just splits up its not a TRUE multiple rail. There are some, but they are uncommon. Like the Corsair HX 1000 is a real multiple rail because if u look inside, the psu is split basically into 2 different ones on either sides. In either case, single vs. multiple rails rly do not effect the psu that much. (look at jonnyguru forums sticky http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?s=49a61cf9ca84c83cacdf878d49624232&t=3990) When he refers to the Corsair HX in the 3rd section, it doesnt apply to the HX 1000 because its not Seasonic built. Its CWT like the Thermaltake Toughpower 1000.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Good guide. Splitting rails is implemented through v2.01 guidelines, and revised through v2.2. Splitting rails is an artificial measure. In fact, there are psu models that allow you to choose from running combined or split via a switch in the back.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101029
It's just a gemmick though, since it doesn't really matter either way.