Sign in with
Your question

Will this CPU last at least 3 years?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 10, 2008 8:34:52 AM

How long do you think a Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz will last before i need to upgrade? or should i just get a better chip? :sweat:  -xeo

More about : cpu years

a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 8:54:30 AM

xeonite said:
How long do you think a Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz will last before i need to upgrade? or should i just get a better chip? :sweat:  -xeo

Any Intel Quad running at 2.66ghz and above is a prime system, just back it with 4-8gb of ram, vista x64 and a nice video card and you should be sweet (if its for gaming)
December 10, 2008 9:09:31 AM

If I were buying atm I would get a platform where the CPU socket is supported for a while yet - aka I would be looking to get a Phenom II on a good AM2+ mobo...

Socket 775 is going to disappear within a year..
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
December 10, 2008 9:34:54 AM

No; socket 775 won't disappear within a year. There will be plenty of surplus inventory for awhile. If you want to keep your system for 3 years or more, my best advice is to get an identical spare board before they go out of production. It will save you hours of reloading windows on a new board. Boards have been lasting 2-5 years on average; some die sooner. I also keep a spare hardrive loaded with xp or windows 2k, in case the hardrive dies suddenly.
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2008 10:07:45 AM

o1die said:
No; socket 775 won't disappear within a year. There will be plenty of surplus inventory for awhile. If you want to keep your system for 3 years or more, my best advice is to get an identical spare board before they go out of production. It will save you hours of reloading windows on a new board. Boards have been lasting 2-5 years on average; some die sooner. I also keep a spare hardrive loaded with xp or windows 2k, in case the hardrive dies suddenly.

Why bother with an identical board? meh waste of $$$ and its not as if reinstalling windows is difficult - those tactics are a waste of time and money.

If the board dies in the next year there are plenty of motherboards on the market. If the board dies in 3 years its well overdue for an upgrade anyhow.
December 10, 2008 1:03:14 PM

I would suggest that if the board dies in three years it probably wasn't any good to begin with. I had Pentium (as in, 586) boards that still functioned as of a year ago (when I disposed of a lot of old computer parts that were long past obsolete).
December 10, 2008 2:09:41 PM

With advice like buying spare parts just in case he must have shares in hardware companies
a c 133 à CPUs
December 10, 2008 2:27:32 PM

A vanilla home user probably doesn't need spare parts, but ought to at least have a big external HDD for backups.
A SOHO user might have a few more commonly needed spares on hand.
Businesses could easily have spares for anything and everything.

I've got a NIB Antec 550W PSU, a buggy (but it will work) HD3870, misc. HDDs, at least 2GB of 1.8v RAM, and other stuff, in case I get a croak. If all else fails, I can suffer along with my e1505 until replacements arrive. I'm thinking of building a spare PC with some of those parts plus stuff I'd order, but then I know I'd just order more spares.
Some people here probably have enough spares to open their own shops.
a c 316 à CPUs
December 10, 2008 2:55:20 PM

xeonite said:

Only you know when you need/want an upgrade.
It depends on what you will be using the PC for, and how well it does the job.
December 10, 2008 3:02:32 PM

Remember that overclocking shortens the lifespan. I have no idea of the stock lifespan of a Q6600 and i would imagine, as it is easy to take to 3Ghz it should not pose too much of a risk. Worth checking out though.
a c 172 à CPUs
December 10, 2008 4:10:54 PM

A CPU is more likely to "die" from obsolescence than the stresses of overclocking.
December 10, 2008 6:46:31 PM

snarfies1 said:
... as of a year ago (when I disposed of a lot of old computer parts that were long past obsolete).

environmental activism has to start somewhere, err where did you "disposed" those old computers? were they radioactive? :D 
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2008 8:00:19 AM

snarfies1 said:
I would suggest that if the board dies in three years it probably wasn't any good to begin with. I had Pentium (as in, 586) boards that still functioned as of a year ago (when I disposed of a lot of old computer parts that were long past obsolete).

As in P54C and P55C? ;) 

Motherboards these days are alot more complex - 10x the heat and power throughput aswell as clock speed etc - they survive a wider range - ~26*c to ~70*c (chipsets, especially nvidia etc), how do you expect 1000 components on a PCB to survive vibrations, heat, surges and device interchanges (eg plug in a USB hdd - suddenly its got 10x the power draw then a second ago etc) etc for 3 years? Not to say they wont but nothing will last forever.

On the other hand i still have about 3 old "Gigabyte GA-5AA" motherboards for Super Socket 7 (ALi Aladdin V chipset, agp 2x, USB, PCI, ISA, EVEN WORKS WITH 1GB SDR - TRIED IT, WORKS AOK) - they were still working at the start of the year, and i got about ~50 cpus for it, overclocked and experimented with them etc, found out its alot easier to kill and AMD then an intel, got one sample to 600mhz (K6-2 "Chomper" 550AFK @ 600/100, 2.5v), and Pentium MMX (P55C) i managed 300mhz (3x100, 3.2v), aswell as a few IDT's, Cyrix/IBM's (400mhz on one - never though they would go that far, ran like a freakin oven too) - all good fun and a good history lesson :whistle:  :D 

Also got a Pentium Pro OC'd to 233mhz with 256mb EDO :D  P6 tech FTW
December 11, 2008 6:52:55 PM

apache_lives said:
As in P54C and P55C? ;) 

Motherboards these days are alot more complex - 10x the heat and power throughput aswell as clock speed etc - they survive a wider range - ~26*c to ~70*c (chipsets, especially nvidia etc), how do you expect 1000 components on a PCB to survive vibrations, heat, surges and device interchanges (eg plug in a USB hdd - suddenly its got 10x the power draw then a second ago etc) etc for 3 years? Not to say they wont but nothing will last forever.

I expect the quality of the boards to remain the same, if not improve. Let me put it this way - if my Asus Rampage doesn't survive three years, I'll probably be done with Asus for a good long time.

On the other hand i still have about 3 old "Gigabyte GA-5AA" motherboards for Super Socket 7 (ALi Aladdin V chipset, agp 2x, USB, PCI, ISA, EVEN WORKS WITH 1GB SDR - TRIED IT, WORKS AOK) - they were still
said:

On the other hand i still have about 3 old "Gigabyte GA-5AA" motherboards for Super Socket 7 (ALi Aladdin V chipset, agp 2x, USB, PCI, ISA, EVEN WORKS WITH 1GB SDR - TRIED IT, WORKS AOK) - they were still

OMG, I think I had that exact same board. It was the only Super 7 board that supported ATA-66, lol. Had K6-2/500 in it.
!