Think this is a mobo issue?

leo2kp

Distinguished
Heya guys. I'll start out with specs and then move on to the issue.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
G.Skill 6GB DDR3-1600
Core i7 920
2 Velociraptors in RAID-0
750GB WD backup drive
9800GTX
PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad
Vista Ultimate 64

Nothing is overclocked, but the RAM sits at 800MHz (RAM specs) which is above the official speed for the 920, but the issue is the same regardless of speed and timings.

I'll try to keep this legible. When I first installed everything, I turned it on and made sure all of the settings were good in the BIOS, set up the RAID and installed Vista. Then after installing drivers and updates, I decided to run a few benchmarks. I installed HD-Tune and benched my RAID array. I started noticing a high-pitched noise coming from the case. It was constant but the pitch changed from lower to higher, then lower. I stopped the benchmark and moved to the 750GB drive and benched, and it became even louder. I tried other things too like setting up my screen saver (3D text) and noticed that it was more subtle but and had a consistant pitch but it was still there. I plugged in my USB drive and copied some stuff over and there again, but even a little louder than the 750GB HDD. I noticed that the pitch was louder when using a drive that was slower. So, it was quieter with my RAID array, louder with the 750GB drive, and even louder using the USB drive. I opened the case during one of the benchmarks and using a stethascope I found that the PSU was making the noise. I disconnected everything I didn't absolutely need to boot, so I had 2GB RAM, RAID, and my video card. I disconnected everything including my external USB ports to the case, DVD-RW, all fans that were connected to the mobo, and wireless network card. I also flashed the BIOS to F3 and later F4 when it became available and set everything to default, except of course for the RAID controller, and it still makes that noise. I switched RAM sticks and moved them around and set them to DDR3-1066 and 1600 to no avail. Strangely, even moving my mouse would net a very quiet buzzing sound in my PSU.

I ended up contacting OCZ (who owns PC P&C) and they said the inductor is going bad and gave me an RMA number. I spent the downtime making sure all of the brass standoffs were in their correct place, all the screws were tight, and even changed out the SATA cables to the ones that came with the board. After 3 freakin' weeks I finally got my PSU back. It looked like they gave me a replacement PSU but I wasn't sure. They didn't give me a report of what they did, sadly. I installed the PSU and spent a lot of time on cable management (I love zip-ties) and powered it back on. It happened again. Same exact symptoms as before. So, either they didn't replace the inductor, or something else is wrong.

So I got thinking that maybe there is a short somewhere in my motherboard. I don't have another PCI-E video card to test and I don't have another set of DDR3 RAM sitting around either, so I plan on RMA'ing my motherboard. It sounds like it's related to the southbridge, but using the video card still makes a noise and that has its own controller. Could be communication between the processor and the rest of the PC. I hope it's not the CPU though, but hey, everything is warrantied.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Motherboard issue, or did OCZ rip me off?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
And I thought I was anal,,about things inside my box. LoL...
You have done everything you can except one thing,,assemble the mobo outside the box if the problem occurs outside the case diagnosing and possible solution is easier than inside,AFAIK the only thing that can make any sound that you or I would notice in the PSU would be the fan and only at two points one the fan itself or the 4 screws that attach the fan and grill to the psu case,although is is possible that the board inside the psu is not tied down properly...:)

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
This is becoming a common problem I think, my PC is doing the same thing. I have read on other forums of the same thing happening as well.

Im using core i7, Asus P6T, 280GTX, CoolerMaster 650W PSU. I get a high pitch squeal, from what I am positive is my PSU, under heavy load. But my system is perfectly stable, I have no issues other than the noise.

It seems to be common with i7's. Going to investigate more tonight.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Lol, it's not the fan. It happens only when I do something with USB, HDD, or 3D. It's a different sound when I use each device, and the pitch changes differently with each device. It's inside the PSU and I can hear where in the PSU it is. I may rip everything out and assemble it on my desk though.

One thing is for sure, I'm definitely RMA'ing the motherboard for more than just that problem. When I set the RAM to 1600 mhz and the timings are set to G.Skill's recommended settings of 9-9-9-24, I turn the computer on and it shuts off after 1 second, and then three seconds later it turns on and boots. Could be related to a power issue.

leo2kp

Distinguished
It's not quite heavy load though, it's completely idle and all I need to do is copy a file from a USB jump drive to my desktop and it'll do it. Hell, it does it when I move my mouse, albeit really quietly (have to have fans shut off to hear it).