moved as it becomes a place for non-related discussions.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
See, I was very nice to you on the other forum where you posted this guide.

You may want to update that guide and this one also with the suggestions you are getting.

Just a thought.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

I had just done this there.

deepinder27

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
is it safe for us to go with foxconn socket mobo's on LGA 1156? yes i've read that the socket burning ocuurs during extreme cooling and overclocking. but what about stock use and mild oc , say upto 3.2GHz (for i5 - 750)... Should i skip all the mobos with foxconn socket and go with intel instead??

Should i go for ASUS P7p55d(Foxconn) or Intel DP55WB/WG/KG(Lotes).
The only problem is that at my local shop only WB is awailable.. Really a very basic board. I like WG and KG.

So what do u say guys...

I m really very very confused , so please help me out guys.. Really need it.

Thanks a lot.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

I can't tell you if it's fine in long term use and no one will be able to.

To be safe, you will want to get MBs that use LOTES and Gigabyte P55A series is the only ones that guaranty a LOTE so far.

BTW, P55A-UD4P is a very good mb with USB3+SATA3.

deepinder27

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
So that means a big no to ASUS.

I would love to get Gigabyte but its not available at my local shop. :(

i have option between Intel DP55WB/WG/KG only.. Maybe i'll opt for WG now.

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate that!

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

OK, first of all the P55A gigabyte boards do NOT use a LOTES socket, they only use the LOTES holddown and backing plate. The socket is FOXCONN.

The chances of you burning a Foxconn socket/cpu are about the same as winning the Powerball lottery, if your that unlucky sorry to hear it.

Check out Hwbot (record OC's) and you will notice that almost all the record OC's are on Foxconn socket boards. This has been so blown out of proportion is not even funny any more.

I've personally had my P55-UD4P/ i7 860 up to 4.6 GHz and haven't had a problem, people get your facts straight.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

Wrong AGAIN, Alex do we have a parting gift for our contestant today.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I didn't say that you will definitely have problem with Foxconn clamp on your mb so you don't need to get mad.

As long as you are happy with it, stay with it.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
OK, been here too many times already with this subject.

Fact: This whole Foxconn socket burn issue was started by a forum thread at Xtreme Systems and was related to extreme voltage and cooling. Look at the articles at AnandTech and you will notice they used the same pictures from the forum thread and this has spread like a wild fire ever since.

Fact: Newegg is one of the bigger e-tailers out there and if you check the reviews of ALL the 1156 socket MBs, there is not ONE with a burned socket. How can this be, maybe no one who buys from the Egg OC's their processor (yes sarcasm). Could it be they are just not posting bad reviews on the Egg, hmmm, I bought a Patriot 128 GB Torqx SSD and it died in less than two months, check out the 90 reviews for that drive. The one and only socket related problem I found was with a Gigabyte P55A MB related to a memory problem. If this was a problem don't you think at least ONE person would have gotten burned by now.

So, yes, you can be one of the many spreading the falsehood that the socket or CLAMP is a problem, but I think I'll wait for some real evidence of a problem with normal OC's before I jump to any conclusions.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I never say there IS a problem with Foxconn clamp and that's why I said "To be safe, .......blah blah blah" instead of "Get LOTES and avoid any Foxconn" to deepinder27.

What I meant was that the Foxconn MIGHT or might NOT have problems as you stated.

Hence, I suggested that it would be safer with a NON serious issue reported socket/clamp and that's why I bought P55A instead of P55.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Arguing won't help fixing the socket problem if any, so please stop arguing with me. I had enough debating with ignorant jennyh already and very tired now. I beg you to stop arguing with me. Please...

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

DUDE, relax, take it easy..................Get some sleep, we'll start up again tomorrow (just kidding) :lol:

@randomizer, this used to be andy's 1156 OCing guide.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

No more arguing, just wanted to let you know that the Asus P7P55D-E MB's (pro and up) have the LOTES holddown/backing plate and it looks like the Tyco socket (can't tell for sure but the picture looks like it) and also the PLX chip, that seems to me to be a better option for USB3/Sata6 bandwidth than Gigabyte's solution. But just my OPINION.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Figured I would just confirm this, the P7P55D-E pro does have the LOTES Clamp and not the Tyco socket but has the LOTES SOCKET.

lotes.th.jpg
[/URL][/img]