4GB vs. 8GB RAM - worth it?

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I've already splurged on 8GB of Mushkin DDR800 5-4-4-12@1.8v RAM...but now I'm thinking i might have overdid it haha.
Spent a total off $180 tax in, which is pretty reasonable...but will I even notice a difference???
RIG : (i'm still waiting for everything to come in...damn weekend shipping!!!)

e8400
palit sonic 4870
p5q-pro
wd 640gb
antec 900+antec trio 650w

i'll be running vista ultimate 64-bit...i've been reading with 8gb of ram your system will stop using your HD as virtual memory or page filing whatever (haha, i don't know the technical terms)...so my system will be more snappy and responsive in desktop processes....but will i see a big difference!?
and also will 8gb be a big improvement in games? or will it only make vista run smoother and that's it...cuz if that's the case i'll return it and save 90 bucks.
in my past experiences...more RAM = huge improvement in games....but 8gb seems like a buttload haha.
advice please!!!

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
What are the primary uses of your new build? You mentioned gaming but is that going to be the majority of use? If so, you probably should return 4gb and stick with 4. If you are doing a lot of video editing or photo shop and such then you could probably benefit from the extra ram. If only gaming its just not worth it. From what I've seen, its harder to OC higher with more ram.

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
that's the thing...it's going to be mainly for gaming, but if it makes my vista experience ALOT smoother (i've played around with other vista comps...i hate waiting lol), then i don't mind keeping it. also alt tabbing in and out of games is pretty important, if RAM affects that hah. 90 bucks for 4gb lol, i remember looking at OCZ platinum ddr2 667mhz ram for $300+$40 rebate..was so happy.
i'm not too worried about OC limiting, because i'm prob only gonna OC the e8400 to 3.6 and call it a day.

Tekkaman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Well if you're playing any game with memory leaks that are slow, you won't notice them as quickly :) I haven't found a need for 8GB more than 80% of the time, but it's also because I do heavy photoshop and media work. In games, the only time I hit 4GB are when I'm dual logging or more and running a stupid Firefox window that decides it wants to go up to 180mb for no reason and I'm encoding at the same time.

Other than that, 4GB should be fine but 8GB is definitely uh... Future proof ;)

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
does vista ever slow down for u when using 8gb?

alrite...how about this question lol, forget about the extra money for 8gb.
what are the disadvantages of having 8gb vs. 4gb besides cost.
will it make my experience...love-lier? :)

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
If your using Vista 64bit then 8gb makes sense (Vista pre-allocates memory so having extra helps quite a lot). Otherwise if your only going to game 4gb is ample.

Personally I'd take 8gb :p More future proof.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
I have Vista 64 with 8GB.

The marked improvements (screaming would be a better word) for increasing the RAM from 1GB to 2GB is not seen when increasing the RAM to 3 or 4GB. In fact I saw virtually no increase in Vista performance with 4GB over 2GB during normal office tasks.

Why more RAM? Because of the other applications you run. Heavy multitasking, video and photo editing can suck up RAM like desert sucks up water.

Keep the extra RAM. RAM is our friend. RAM is cheap.