CPUID and Bios are showing different Core Voltage

Which is correct?

I am using CPUID and Everest to check system temps and voltages. These show the same voltage (1.32V) but I have it set at 1.3625V in the Bios.

Any help on clarifying this would be great!

Thanks Tom's Hardware,
Zanzibar
11 answers Last reply
More about cpuid bios showing core voltage
  1. There both right.

What you set in the bios is the VID, this is the maximum voltage that the mobo will ever supply to the cpu. The actual voltage that it does supply may be under that, but it will never go above 1.3625 in your case.
  2. It is due to the vDroop which is an overvoltage protection by Intel.
  3. well, I experimented a little bit ... i set the bios at 1.370 and CPUID shows 1.344V.

Maximum on the processor is 1.3625 obviously, so would it be safe to assume that I can up the VID until CPUID shows 1.362?
  4. The vDroop will make your idle voltage being higher than the 100% load voltage.
  5. Although vdroop does have an effect here, it is mostly because he is setting the VID when he thinks he is setting the voltage.
  6. Quote:
    well, I experimented a little bit ... i set the bios at 1.370 and CPUID shows 1.344V.

Maximum on the processor is 1.3625 obviously, so would it be safe to assume that I can up the VID until CPUID shows 1.362?

Yes
  7. Ahh ... well, i'm new to oc'ing. Have just read the numerous guides on here a few times over before starting last weekend. Any insight offered will be humbly accepted.
  8. People can't help you without information of your setup!
  9. well poo, i put in it my profile info ... hmmm

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
    Q9550 2.83GHz
    Asus Silent Knight 2 Aluminum
    8GB Crucial DDR2-800 (w/ Xigmatek Cuirassier coolers)
    Asus EAH4870DK 512MB
    Antec 850w psu
    Antec 900 case
  10. How would we know if you don't say it. Ignored!
  11. Apologies, thought I set it as my signature.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel BIOS Tom's Hardware Core Overclocking