Asus P5K Beep!

skgiven

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I have an Asus P5K, a Q6600 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM and two 500GB hard drives in a system.
I have XP Pro SP3 installed.

For some reason the system beeps apparently randomly. Just now and then out of the blue there is a single Beep!
This is sometimes followed by one or more beeps shortly after, within a few minutes.

Any ideas as to why?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
HMMMM,My system was doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago ,only it was the single beep thingy like you say SK, right "out of the blue" as for the other beeps two things come to mind,, if they will help or not,,loose ram,, or a momentarily high temp in the system.???, I dunno,, just grasping at straws here,,anyhow it wouldn't hurt to check and maker sure that all your stuff is properly connected and running at decent temps then forget about it,I did..:)

skgiven

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Thanks for the reply dokk2.

I think I have worked out what was going on. One of the drives was being worked on; I had configured the system to run an eraser program automatically every week, to erase free space. This was causing the system to see the drive has having low space - and it gives out a beep. With a couple of other programs caching to that drive, it was just beeping every time it used up too much drive space!
I must change the schedule. The apparently random 5am beeps were not appreciated.