New Homebuilt System - Startup Problems

sniggit2k7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Right, at first I built it in 20 mins, everything connected. No problem.

Started it up a few times. No problems. Everything in the Bios fine.

Then I turned it off for a bit, and when I came back to install a OS, everything would be on, no beeping all fans running even on graphics card, except my monitor would read no signal.

I rewired everything in my case and then it turned on again. When I turned off it did the same thing again. And I have no OS on it atm. Everything is new. I have rewired a few times and its worked when ive done that.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I was thinking if it might be because the voltages or something is wrong in the bios compared to what the RAM should be running at.

Thanks

Luke.

sniggit2k7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Im sure I put it in there. I musnt of pasted properly. My bad.
Ill put them in my first post now.
And it seems after I put reconnect my mobos main power connected it comes on again. But it says BOOTMGR not found or something. Now it says ctr alt del to restart, if I just do it by the power button i can keep turning on and off and able to access my bios. If I ctr alt del it to restart, i have to reconnect all over again.

sniggit2k7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Leadtek GTX 260
600W OCZ Gamexstream PSU
Q6600 CPU
2x2gb Geil Black Dragon 800mhz Ram
MSI P45 Neo3-FR Mobo
250gb 16MB Western Digital HDD
Samsung DVD RW Optical Drive.

Sounds like a BIOS problem. Dissconnect everything from the motherboard except the power, the video card, and one stick of RAM. Also reset the BIOS via jumper or by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then putting it back in. If it still doesn't boot you may have to RMA your motherboard.

cow_moo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I think it might be a faulty video card I say Rma it get a new one

Also get it running with monitor load OS and flash the Bios

sniggit2k7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I tried removing the battery and replacing it. It worked then asked me to either run setup for the mobo or load default values. I loaded default. It then said BOOTMGR not found again, when I ctr alt del it restarted and no signal. It didnt do this before though, everything was fine. It never said anything about BOOTMGR. Should I try changing 1st boot device to optical drive and try installing OS? Or should I try putting the bios cd in? Im not all that good when it comes to entering the bios, so if I was supposed to put the cd in already excuse my stupidity. As I said though I have no OS.

cow_moo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I just realized it also could be a faulty DVI/VGA cable because my monitor works fine with my New DVI cord but not with the old one

Reset your BIOS again, then when the screen comes up run setup. If you can get into setup then you may be able to set your boot device order. Set CD Drive, or rather DVD Drive, to first of course. Save it and see if you can boot. If you can't boot then your BIOS is too corrupted to do anything without reprogramming the CMOS chip, which means you should RMA it. If it works then perhaps it just corrupted your default values. If you still can't install windows properly then download the latest BIOS for your board, follow the instructions to put it on bootable media, such as a CD or USB stick, reset your BIOS again, and set it to boot from whatever you saved your BIOS to. Most modern motherboards can boot up BIOS update programs from a CD or USB stick. If it still doesn't work after all that then you have a corrupted BIOS chip, so you will have to RMA it.

sniggit2k7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Ok, Ill try now. But I still think it might of been something that happened to it, ie it didnt come broke. Could my hdmi adapter be making it why it sometimes doesnt work? Ill come back and tell you how I get along in a few minutes. Strange thing is though, im trying to get it to work atm, and its still no signal even though I done what I did before to make it work again.

sniggit2k7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Argh, this is getting worse cos I dont know whats happening. I know everything is working fine and that I didnt change anything. This all started happening when I entered bios for the first time. Even though I didnt make any changes, when I tried to exit it asked me if i wanted to discard my changes and I said yes. Then thats when it started happening. And I dont have a clue what keeps on resetting it so I can see the boot screen instead of no signal.

sniggit2k7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Ok, I am on my boot sequence menu. It says my first boot device is my HDD and my 2nd is my DVD RW. But It says A device enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding type menu. But I dont know where to find this menu.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
note:::when you exit the bios even if you make no changes always save,always no exceptions,,,better safe than sorry,,,paranoia ia your friend around computers..:)