Blank Dialog Box with OK Button

When Windows is starting up I get a mostly blank dialog box with an OK button
at the bottom after the Windows splash screen disappears, on top of the
Windows is starting up screen.

The dialog box that contains a small piece of unrecognizable text in the top
left corner that changes each time I start computer. Most of the icons on
the desktop have changed to the generic I don't know what you are icon and no
applications will run including Internet Explorer except the virus program .
I get an error message that Windows needs to know what application created
that file. (This includes cmd.exe)

The dialog box cannot be closed with the ( X ) in the corner and will only
continue to start windows after sitting for about 10 minutes or clicking the
OK button.

I don't believe it's a virus as the virus program does load and did do a
complete scan without finding a virus.

More about blank dialog button

    "Norman Vickers" <NormanVickers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When Windows is starting up I get a mostly blank dialog box with an OK
    button
    > at the bottom after the Windows splash screen disappears, on top of the
    > Windows is starting up screen.
    >
    > The dialog box that contains a small piece of unrecognizable text in the
    top
    > left corner that changes each time I start computer. Most of the icons on
    > the desktop have changed to the generic I don't know what you are icon and
    no
    > applications will run including Internet Explorer except the virus program
    ..
    > I get an error message that Windows needs to know what application created
    > that file. (This includes cmd.exe)
    >
    > The dialog box cannot be closed with the ( X ) in the corner and will only
    > continue to start windows after sitting for about 10 minutes or clicking
    the
    > OK button.
    >
    > I don't believe it's a virus as the virus program does load and did do a
    > complete scan without finding a virus.

    There are lots of malicious or poorly-behaved things that anti-virus
    programs can't find.

    Go to Start, Run, type msconfig and press enter. Go to the Startup tab.
    Look through each entry to find what it is that is that's loading. If
    you're unsure, remove the checkmarks from everything and restart, and turn
    things on one at a time to identify what it is that's loading. Note that
    some trojans will not necessarily respect this process and may start anyway.

    Also, get ccleaner: www.ccleaner.com and let it delete all temporary files
    and temporary internet files. This will help as the temporary directories
    are where a lot of malware launches from.

    Programs like HiJack This (
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html) are also invaluable for
    cleaning up malware. When you run Hijack this and tell it to remove
    entries, be sure to rescan after the removal. You'll find that some things
    reload or similar things take their place. However, HiJack This does
    require a greater degree of knowledge to use effectively.

    Also, the online virus and spyware scan at TrendMicro -
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ can do a pretty good job of finding
    spyware you miss.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick,

    Thank you very much for their response, however; most applications will not
    run including those built into Windows like the MSconfig, CMD, help and
    support or even write clicking on my computer and going to properties in an
    attempt to use system restore, I've never seen anything like this in windows
    before.

    message news:97C54E10-2608-4D3D-BB91-C872E1EE9302@microsoft.com
    > Patrick,
    >
    > Thank you very much for their response, however; most applications
    > will not run including those built into Windows like the MSconfig,
    > CMD, help and support or even write clicking on my computer and going
    > to properties in an attempt to use system restore, I've never seen
    > anything like this in windows before.
    >
    > "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
    >
    >> "Norman Vickers" <NormanVickers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:B8687634-0BFD-40C5-8ECF-F3BE3CAFEC28@microsoft.com...
    >>> When Windows is starting up I get a mostly blank dialog box with an
    >>> OK button at the bottom after the Windows splash screen disappears,
    >>> on top of the Windows is starting up screen.
    >>>
    >>> The dialog box that contains a small piece of unrecognizable text
    >>> in the top left corner that changes each time I start computer.
    >>> Most of the icons on the desktop have changed to the generic I
    >>> don't know what you are icon and no applications will run including
    >>> Internet Explorer except the virus program .. I get an error
    >>> message that Windows needs to know what application created that
    >>> file. (This includes cmd.exe)
    >>>
    >>> The dialog box cannot be closed with the ( X ) in the corner and
    >>> will only continue to start windows after sitting for about 10
    >>> minutes or clicking the OK button.
    >>>
    >>> I don't believe it's a virus as the virus program does load and did
    >>> do a complete scan without finding a virus.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> There are lots of malicious or poorly-behaved things that anti-virus
    >> programs can't find.
    >>
    >> Go to Start, Run, type msconfig and press enter. Go to the Startup
    >> tab. Look through each entry to find what it is that is that's
    >> and restart, and turn things on one at a time to identify what it is
    >> that's loading. Note that some trojans will not necessarily
    >> respect this process and may start anyway.
    >>
    >> Also, get ccleaner: www.ccleaner.com and let it delete all
    >> temporary files and temporary internet files. This will help as
    >> the temporary directories are where a lot of malware launches from.
    >>
    >> Programs like HiJack This (
    >> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html) are also
    >> invaluable for cleaning up malware. When you run Hijack this and
    >> tell it to remove entries, be sure to rescan after the removal.
    >> You'll find that some things reload or similar things take their
    >> place. However, HiJack This does require a greater degree of
    >> knowledge to use effectively.
    >>
    >> Also, the online virus and spyware scan at TrendMicro -
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ can do a pretty good job of finding
    >> spyware you miss.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> -pk

    If you can't run the programs Patrick suggested I don't know what else you
    can do but save your data files, format the drive and do a clean install of
    WinXP and your software.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Norman Vickers" <NormanVickers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Patrick,
    >
    > Thank you very much for their response, however; most applications will
    not
    > run including those built into Windows like the MSconfig, CMD, help and
    > support or even write clicking on my computer and going to properties in
    an
    > attempt to use system restore, I've never seen anything like this in
    windows
    > before.

    Can you get into Safe Mode?

    -pk

> [...]

    > > some trojans will not necessarily respect this process and may start
    anyway.

    > > Also, get ccleaner: www.ccleaner.com and let it delete all temporary
    files
    > > and temporary internet files. This will help as the temporary
    directories
    > > are where a lot of malware launches from.
    > >
    > > Programs like HiJack This (
    > > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html) are also invaluable
    for
    > > cleaning up malware. When you run Hijack this and tell it to remove
    > > entries, be sure to rescan after the removal. You'll find that some
    things
    > > reload or similar things take their place. However, HiJack This does
    > > require a greater degree of knowledge to use effectively.
    > >
    > > Also, the online virus and spyware scan at TrendMicro -

    I have already tried going into safe mode but the blank dialog box still
    shows up and I am an able to do anything once in safe mode. I have already
    attempted to use system repair from the original CD to no avail. Has anyone
    ever seen anything like this before in Windows XP.

    "Patrick Keenan" wrote:

> [...]
    > things
    > > > reload or similar things take their place. However, HiJack This does
    > > > require a greater degree of knowledge to use effectively.
    > > >
    > > > Also, the online virus and spyware scan at TrendMicro -
    > > > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ can do a pretty good job of finding
    > > > spyware you miss.
    > > >
    > > > HTH
    > > > -pk

    "Norman Vickers" <NormanVickers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Patrick,
    >
    > Thank you very much for their response, however; most applications will
    not
    > run including those built into Windows like the MSconfig, CMD, help and
    > support or even write clicking on my computer and going to properties in
    an
    > attempt to use system restore, I've never seen anything like this in

    You might also try a repair install using your Windows CD. However, you
    should consider whether it might not be faster to back up, format and
    reinstall. One of the easiest ways to do that is to add a new hard disk
    as the master, converting the old one to secondary or slave. Run the
    install on the new dis, create the accounts, install the software, and
    simply copy the old data back into the new locations. I personally use
    FileSync for this purpose as it doesn't just fail if there's a problem...

    www.fileware.co.uk

    HTH
    -pk

    "Norman V" <NormanV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have already tried going into safe mode but the blank dialog box still
    > shows up and I am an able to do anything once in safe mode. I have
    already
    > attempted to use system repair from the original CD to no avail. Has
    anyone
    > ever seen anything like this before in Windows XP.

    Then you may need to strongly consider backing up, wiping the drive and
    reinstalling. I would personally suggest putting in a new drive as the
    primary (drives are cheap now and *do* wear out, so you will be adding
    reliability to the machine) and installing to that, then using the old drive
    as a secondary and source for data restoration.

    One thing you might want to try is using the default registry, though this
    will cost you a bit of time and not necessarily get you very far... you'll
    need to modify the procedure here slightly:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

    basically you will boot to the recovery console, rename the existing
    registry, copy in the default, and reboot. None of your installed apps
    will work at this point because their registry entries will be absent. You
    will then have to identify a working set of registry files and copy them in.

    This may or may not be successful and will quite possibly take the same
    amount of time as a reinstall. Plus, it will leave behind any infected or
    damaged files.

    HTH
    -pk

    > "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
    >
    > > "Norman Vickers" <NormanVickers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > > Patrick,
    > > >
    > > > Thank you very much for their response, however; most applications
    will
    > > not
    > > > run including those built into Windows like the MSconfig, CMD, help
    and
    > > > support or even write clicking on my computer and going to properties
    in
    > > an
    > > > attempt to use system restore, I've never seen anything like this in
    > > windows
    > > > before.
    > >
    > > Can you get into Safe Mode?
    > >
    > > -pk

    > > message
    > > the

    > > the
    > > icons on
    > > and
    > > program
    > > created

    > > only
    > > clicking

    > > tab.
    If

    > > turn
    Note
    > > that

    > > anyway.

    > > files
    > > directories

    > > for
    > > things

    I have already backed up my data, formatted and restore the operating systems
    and applications. I would you simply like to know if anyone has ever seen
    anything similar to my blank dialog box with the OK button and select call or
    programs include with the operating system that do not function.

    Again Patrick and Frank thanks for your post.

    That also happened to me.
    I´ve had to reinstall but that message showed again few days after.
    Probably its related to software i use. I installed some cleaning
    software like
    ace utilities, winaso registry optimizer, xp smoker pro, etc
    I dont think this is the cause but im still trying to figure out whats
    causing
    the blank message during start up.

    Joao

    --
    Joao Monteiro

    I´ve solved it!!!!

    The problem is related with Zone alarm Pro that í have installed in my
    PC.
    Once i uninstalled it that error message was gone. I think there must
    be some kind of incompatibility between zone alarm and XP with SP2.

    Greetings from Portugal to all users.

    João.

    --
    Joao Monteiro