Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire HD3850s, RAID 0 and COD4 crash?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 15, 2008 11:45:31 AM

I have been running two crossfired HD3850s for a while mainly to support Call of Duty 4 online play. I also run two HDDs in RAID 0 for redundancy. I took an automatic update via microsoft for just the drivers for the cards not CCC. Since then the PC runs fine but when i open up COD4 the graphics crash, i get a VPU recovery pop up box and the graphics run badly until i restart. When i di I always find the array has degraded and has to be rebuilt. However if i restart the PC and go to COD4 or go to it straight after intial boot up I don't get he problem - I'm foxed. I was Ocing the CPU by about 30% but recently went back to stock settings - same problem under both circumstances. Games run for ages without problem so I don't think that this has anything to do with cooling ( I have water on the NB, CPU is air cooled well). I can't work out whether this is a RAID problem or a graphic problem. I have tried several drivers and CCC versions (about 5) all for 2008 but no change. I finally went back to the late 7 series from 2007 which at the time i never had a problem with but now i still get the same crash.

Any suggestions?????

Cheers
BF

E6750 not now OCed
Ausus Maximus Formula
Water cooled NB
500W PSU
Air cooled CPU - sink and 2 fans
Armour case
2 HD3850 256Mb grpahics in Crossfire

a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2008 12:23:56 PM

Ok, so let me get this straight, you started experiencing problems AFTER you pulled down a gpu driver update from Microsoft. Hmm, seems to be a driver issue, Froggy!

Couple things to remember for the future:
1) NEVER, never, never use the M$ update site to update component drivers, OS updates are fine, but never use it for audio, video, or mobo driver updates, the drivers from the M$ update site are notoriously behind the actual production drivers
2) ALWAYS, always, always get the latest drivers directly from the manufacturers website

I would highly recommend uninstalling the gpu drivers to wipe the slate clean, pull down the latest drivers from the ATI website, and then re-install the drivers.

Tough lesson to learn.

Good luck!
October 15, 2008 9:22:35 PM

Thanks but I've already unistalled the drivers from ms and tried several from the amd site but all the ones I've tried so far don't improve the situation. I might try driver cleaner and areinstall incase there are any fragments left after normal uninstall
!