Solved

Driver help please!!

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
February 22, 2011 10:16:41 AM

Hello everyone!

I have an HP Pavilion a1340n. I had to replace my HDD recently so had to do a fresh install of Windows Pro x86. I managed to find all the drivers but 2, PCI device and Unknown device Which I'm assuming is my audio since I have no sound. I've been to HP's website and found some drivers but whenever I try to install them I get the error, "you must be logged in as an administrator to install this update, update has been cancelled (9999)" I don't get that at all since it's a fresh install and I am the administrator. I tried to run them as admin. and even logged into safe mode as admin. and still get the same error. I've been searching for the last 5 hours for these drivers can you please help!! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

I wish I understood why it's telling me I'm not the administrator but even more importantly need to find these drivers, I'm exhausted! Thanks for any advice at all!!

BeauKnowsDiddly :-)

ps. the mobo is an RC410-M REV:1.01
os XP Pro x86 SP3

More about : driver

February 22, 2011 10:55:41 AM

Woohoo!! I have sound!! I downloaded and installed Microsoft's Universal Audio Architecture High Definition Audio Bus Driver and now I have sound, However, I still have an unknown device in my device manager that I nor Windows can figure out. Any ideas? Of course I still don't understand why the drivers I download from HP tell me I'm not the administrator. But about that unknown device......?
m
l
a b \ Driver
February 23, 2011 5:55:07 AM

beauknowsdiddly said:
Woohoo!! I have sound!! I downloaded and installed Microsoft's Universal Audio Architecture High Definition Audio Bus Driver and now I have sound, However, I still have an unknown device in my device manager that I nor Windows can figure out. Any ideas? Of course I still don't understand why the drivers I download from HP tell me I'm not the administrator. But about that unknown device......?

SMBus Driver. It's usually mixed in with your chipset drivers and gets installed manually (for some stupid reason).

If you can't find it in your chipset driver package, you can download it
HERE.

It's only a 6K file so it downloads rather quickly.

m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2011 6:44:23 AM

Actually the SMBus Driver WAS in with the chipset drivers so that wasn't the answer. First of all I figured out that the reason HP wouldn't let me install the drivers was because it was seeing my card reader and my C: drive. and my C: Drive was listed as my I drive. I have no clue how I managed to do that. So I started from scratch. Only this time I unplugged my card reader before installing Windows. This time my hard drive was my C: drive then I installed the card reader drives and was able to download all the drivers from HP. Although I still had to find the Universal Audio Architecture High Definition Audio Bus Driver and once I was done with all those drivers I STILL had that unknown device in there. So I looked at it's properties and googled the Device Instance Id, which was ACPI\AWY40001 and it's some AMDAwayMode deal for the processor I guess that's suppose to help you navigate quicker or something, regardless of what it does, I found it, downloaded and installed it and no more unknown device!! So everything is peachey!!

Thanks everyone who spent time looking for a solution!!

Beau
m
l

Best solution

a b \ Driver
February 23, 2011 2:49:53 PM

It's good to see a happy ending. :) 

The SMBus is usually it 99% of the time, you had an exception.

February 24, 2011 12:08:11 AM

^Agreed. Pesky SMBus controllers.
m
l
March 12, 2011 5:28:18 AM

Best answer selected by beauknowsdiddly.
m
l
!