Sign in with
Your question

Transfer rate of firewire versus SATA

Last response: in Storage
February 23, 2010 1:34:13 PM

I have to transfer 450GB of raw video and AVI files from an internal SATA Seagate HD to an SATA/Firewire WD external drive. I am getting 5Mb transfer rate with the Firewire connection. Should I change it to SATA connection and restart the transfer?
February 23, 2010 2:02:48 PM

e-sata will be a lot faster than firewire and usb 2.0
m
l
February 23, 2010 2:31:29 PM

I tried to connect an SATA cable from the motherboard to the back of the external and it would not plug in. The back of the WD external says eSATA. I am not farmiliar with that configuration. It does not have the little crook that orients the connection, as it does on an internal HD.
m
l
a c 362 G Storage
February 23, 2010 6:56:24 PM

eSATA connectors are different from SATA connectors so you can't mix them up by mistake - you have to be determined. That's because some people use features of eSATA that are NOT necessarily supported on plain SATA, like Hot Swapping and longer data cables, but might be supported anyway in your mobo's SATA controller - you never know. If you are not trying to use such features, what you need is a simple adapter plate and a proper eSATA cable. The adapter mounts in a slot like the back edge of a PCI card and contains an eSATA connector to hook up your external drive to. It then has a cable that you run internally to a normal SATA port on the mobo. For most cases this works just fine. Performance tests I've seen say that Firewire 400 or IEEE 1394a is almost as fast as eSATA. The speed you quote is nowhere near what you should get. Something is slowing you down a lot, and it should NOT be due solely to using the Firewire interface.

m
l
!