Budget Crysis Warhead system - Any last input?

gwaves

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
So I'm finally getting back into PC gaming after playing Crysis Warhead at a friends. Searched around the internet and finally came down to a system after a few days. What I came up with:

Mobo: GA-P35-DS3L
Proc: 8400
Videocard: 4850
RAM: Kingston KVR800D2N5K2/2G
PSU: CMPSU-450VX
Case: Cooler Master Elite 330

I'll be using an old IDE HDD and DVD drive for the time being. Onto my questions!

1. 8400 should work right out the box with that mobo right?
2. What 4850 brand should I choose? Asus, Club3D, Sapphire, HIS, Gainward or Jetway? Can't find any comparing reviews.
3. Is the PSU good enough? I heard it's enough for the 4870 but that system used a less powerful processor.
4. Case should be fine right? Both mobo and case are ATX.
5. Should I change something else? RAM?
6. Should I wait until prices drop? I heard processors get one soon.
7. Another option would be to buy every part from the Crysis branded PC and replace the videocard with a 4850, would be much cheaper too. Currently spending €500.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know what res you play at but I'd get a 260gtx or a 4870 and I'd put more ram in the machine and I'd opt for a quad core if it's Crysis I wanted to play. ........... I use a 6850 and it only plays the game good when it hits 3.4 to 3.6....( not that it doesn't...but )...( experience ).... especially at the end. There and in the icy regions the quad core would come in handiest. That's my opinion of it. If it's a 4850 you're set on I'd opt for the couple of extra frames you might get out of the 1gig card........... ??????????

gwaves

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks, and yes I'm pretty much set on the 4850. Can't afford any higher atm. I could get the 1gig version but I'm not playing on any high resolutions. Still have a 17" crt. :)

lltfdaniel

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
My e8400 works with my ga-p35-ds3l rev 2.0 motherboard which came shipped with F7 bios, you may need to update bios to get e8400 to run.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
you will definitely satisfied with the 4850...I can play Crysis (not warhead) on my 19" pretty smoothly on high settings (using XP) and can play it smoothly with a combination of medium and high specs with my 24" :)

Doesn't really matter which 4850 you choose...as long as it has an afterstock cooler, all of em will be about the same...I wold probably just go with the cheapest one, or the one that has the best combo deal (thats what I did)

nirvana21

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

1. Get this quad core instead, its only about $15 more. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
2. The 4850 is fine for that monitor. The brand doesn't matter, just check warranties and whats included.
3. Yes 450watts is enough
4. Yes ATX compatible
5. I'd suggest 4GB of ram, its so cheap and you will notice a difference. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134730
6. You could always wait, but the prices won't be a huge difference

You could save some money and get this motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681313

Heck my system plays Crysis on Medium. Since that board only has one PCI-E slot I take it you're not planning to crossfire anytime soon, so that 450W PSU should be fine especially since it has a good single 12v Rail. As for which version, go with one that has a free game ^_^. If you can spend a little more money though get the the TOXIC version from Sapphire. If you want the cheapest one the PALit has a $30 mail in rebate making it the best buy.

gwaves

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007

Do I need to put in an older processor first before updating?

Heard about some heat issues. So if I buy the cheapest one should I buy an afterstock cooler right away with it?

Thanks! I'll only be using the PC for gaming, so I think the E8400 is better? Also, I can always buy another 2GB down the road. Money's a bit tight. Newegg link doesn't work, what's the model of that board?

:D

here is something to compare it to. The developers built the game around this exact machine being able to play the game at high (not ultra high) settings.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/09/eas-crysis-warhead-pc-can-uh-play-some-game/

The PC is suppose to be like a 600 dollar build.

I think it's good as is. The thing is, 4850s dump their heat inside the case, so you need a well cooled case.
I don't think you can classify the 330 as well cooled.
The Antec 300 would be a better choice if you can afford it.

gwaves

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007

7. Another option would be to buy every part from the Crysis branded PC and replace the videocard with a 4850, would be much cheaper too. Currently spending €500. :)

Hmm, it's twice the price. What if I put one or two of those fans in them? Or heck, I could even just let the side open like I have with my current pc.

I can't believe they want $700 for that piece of junk. And that video card.. ? .. for playing Crysis....... nuts !

And a comment on you guys playing on medium settings. That's fine if you think it's good, but you're missing a lot of detail and a lot of effects running at those settings.

the original poser, running game on you 17 inch monitor..... you have made a good set up for that but I'd still get more memory. Crysis eats it.

I don't see anything necessarily wrong with that PC. It would be nicer if it had 4GB of RAM instead of 2GB. But frankly, that's probably a decent system for most of the games out today. Crysis is an absolute beast when it comes to soaking up PC resources. It'll cripple any system if you put settings high enough.

That system isn't "High End" by any means, but that's why it's $700. Keep in mind, buying a pre-built PC is always more expensive than building it yourself, and typically comes with some kind of warranty or tech support. Sometimes this is needed for folks who don't have the know-how to build their own.

To the Original Poster:

If you can do 4GB of RAM, I'd do it. You'll notice a difference in everything you do, including Crysis. Also, if you at all tempted to do a Quad Core the Intel Q6600 that someone mentioned above is an absolutely good processor. Only your RAM, Harddrive, and Motherboard Chipset will bottleneck you using that processor right now. (that is to say, the game itself won't bog down that CPU) And on a P35 motherboard like you have, you should be able to get reasonable overclocks if you ever ventured that direction.

Biggest thing with Crysis is video card. That game just pounds on video cards.

jerreece said:

That system isn't "High End" by any means, but that's why it's $700. Keep in mind, buying a pre-built PC is always more expensive than building it yourself, and typically comes with some kind of warranty or tech support. Sometimes this is needed for folks who don't have the know-how to build their own.

swifty says:

You're right. i don't think in that realm anymore.

gwaves

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007

I don't quite understand this one, will the old HDD give me worse performance? Also how would the mobo bottleneck? Would a P45 fix that?

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
That's absolute nonsense. Not only is the P35 fully capable of running an E8400 but it's also perfectly capable of overclocking one to 4GHz.

By the way sapphire and HIS would be the brands I'd look at. They have a good reputation and some very nice aftermarket cooled cards.

crysis900

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

P35 isn't PCI-E 2.0, and your hard drive is going to be incredibly slow compared to todays HD's. And Hd's are cheap these days, just get a 250gb or something like that. And don't forget a good CPU fan.

System:
Antec 300
P43 Mobo
Q6600
Sunbeam CCF
MSI 4850 with aftermarket cooler
Corsair VX450
SATA HD
And get a SATA disc drive while you're at it

EDIT: 4gb ddr2-800 of ram also!

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I do recommend getting a 4850 with aftermarket cooling...i believe most of them nowadays offer aftermarket cooling...I bought my gigabyte 4850 when they initially came out (with stock heatsink and fan) and the simple fan fix worked perfectly....dont worry about it overheating and it causing problems, the cards do run a little hotter than others but its nothing to worry about...

gwaves

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks! Will do the fanfix soon as it's here.

Anyways, ordered everything I listed, changed the P35 to a P45 though, was only 18 bucks more. Anyways, thanks again everyone! Can't wait till I play through Crysis and Warhead. Finally back into PC gaming! :D